where to sell o gauge

mswjr

Thinking of selling my O gauge collection,Only as i have not got the room to have a layout,I have a short layout,but that is not what i want,

I also have too many gauges,oo,sm 32,and 5 inch gauge,so im thinking of slimming down,So a question please if i did decide to sell my o gauge locos and stock,

Where is the best place to sell it,I have seen o gauge models on sales stands at shows,and mine is far better than some stuff on there, so is the o gauge guild the best place to start or is there somewhere else to go,I do not want e bay,But you o gauge modellers know more than i do ,i expect.  Thankyou Garry

I agree with putting on the G0G sales and wants section, or join Western Thunder they have a classified section ..... or put some cheeky photos on your 7mm threads saying that this lovely "so & so" requires a loving home, please PM for more details  :no:

PS do you have a Peter Clarke Thumper kit to sell ? 

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Thankyou Mike,

I have not yet fully decided yet,But as i said,I have not the room for an o gauge layout as i would like, so i am thinking of selling o gauge and concentrate on the other i have,

When i fully decide ill send you a list, Thanks Garry

I'd go WT (but you have to be a member for a while before you can advertise sales items - but that's no bad thing, it's an excellent forum) or the Guild sales & wants. WT particularly likes GW items! Photos, always post photos.

You could post photos of your models on here, even if selling on here is a pita/not permitted. You never know, someone may send you a PM!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Sold loads on eBay and not had any problems, good photos, be accurate in your description and put on post free and then as said bung up the price to cover it and if they are any good they will fly out.

And pack them very well and expensive stuff use RM 24 hr registered. Go to a dealer and you will get dealers prices, ok if you don't want hassle but not the best price. I enjoy eBay some don't.

John

• RMweb Premium

Sold loads on eBay and not had any problems, good photos, be accurate in your description and put on post free and then as said bung up the price to cover it and if they are any good they will fly out.

And pack them very well and expensive stuff use RM 24 hr registered. Go to a dealer and you will get dealers prices, ok if you don't want hassle but not the best price. I enjoy eBay some don't.

John

Also don't end an auction in the middle of the night or Sunday's when songs of praise is on. People have better things to do apparently (Good time to buy though)!

• 3 weeks later...

O K,Well  I decided to try e bay ,and no luck yet,Im new to that sort of stuff so what am i doing wrong,I put on a David Andrews Castle kit with 4000 gallon tender untouched with wheels and pickups and some extra castings ,about 500 pounds worth,Starting bid 350.00 ,finishing on a sunday,and no bids ,and relisted it and still no bids,I do not think it should be put on any cheaper than this as it is a bargain so i am thinking that this is not the way to go , Garry,

Yea,I will try the guild,as i am a member,I put it on e bay as alot on here said it would be better,And seeing other o gauge kits on e bay,and seeing what they go for it looked promising ,And i thought as i said above it was a good price,wheels etc inc, But No,so was just wondering if people think it was too cheap or expensive,Thats why it did not sell,Thinking i might build it then sell it finished

I think that the "trick" with eBay is a bargain basement starting price. If you had put it on for, say, £25, you would have got bids, for sure. The risk is that it doesn't "go", but if it does, you're going to get quite a lot more for it. You can, of course, put a reserve on, but I think this costs more.

I have to say, I have never bought models on eBay, mainly because they seem anything but a bargain. I have sold an N gauge layout, I think the price was fair to both parties, and the buyer was very happy when he saw it in the flesh, so that was ok, but stories abound of people buying stuff at well above the cost of the item from a recognised supplier.

Stories also abound of model dealers having very high "buy it now" prices, both because a muppet might do so, but also as a means of manipulating the expectations of the punters. If you can convince people that a dog-rough 4-6-0 is worth a grand, you're in with a chance of making a few bob.

I suspect that "caveat emptor" is good advice!

The G0G sales & wants seem to be very fair price-wise, ditto the E&T, though not much use if you're still alive & kicking...

Best

Simon

Btw, had I not already got a Castle, and a queue of kits to build, I'd have snapped yours up at £350!

Edited by Simond

O K,Well  I decided to try e bay ,and no luck yet,Im new to that sort of stuff so what am i doing wrong,I put on a David Andrews Castle kit with 4000 gallon tender untouched with wheels and pickups and some extra castings ,about 500 pounds worth,Starting bid 350.00 ,finishing on a sunday,and no bids ,and relisted it and still no bids,I do not think it should be put on any cheaper than this as it is a bargain so i am thinking that this is not the way to go , Garry,

I have had a search running for David Andrews kits for the last 6 months and yours never appeared so I suggest that you are not making the title 'punchy' enough with the correct keywords or you are listing it using the wrong category.

Dave

Edit - I think I might have found it. Is it listed here? If so, a couple of suggestions. It's David Andrews not Dave Andrews (never heard him referred to as such). '7mm scale', '0 gauge' are too generic to be useful as keywords. Those aspects are taken care of by the category.

Edited by daifly

• RMweb Premium

I have had a search running for David Andrews kits for the last 6 months and yours never appeared so I suggest that you are not making the title 'punchy' enough with the correct keywords or you are listing it using the wrong category.

Dave

There is one listed as Dave Andrews which won't come up for anyone searching for David.

There is one listed as Dave Andrews which won't come up for anyone searching for David.

That will be it then,I have not spelt his name incorrect,I shall change it Thanks that may help 

Edited by mswjr

• RMweb Premium

Also as I said before Sunday evening is a really bad time to finish an auction - it's always quiet and a lot doesn't sell. I find week days around 5 is good (just before people go home).

For high value stuff it's not as easy tho. A low starting price is definitely key as it gets people hooked and then they often end up in a bidding war but obviously you are taking a risk it doesn't get to what you want. You could try "but it now or best offer" - you can always turn down offers.

Also as I said before Sunday evening is a really bad time to finish an auction - it's always quiet and a lot doesn't sell. 

I've always found the opposite! I invariably time my auctions to finish on a Sunday. People are around at weekends and they are shopping online. Plenty of punters to escalate the price!

It suits me too because I can despatch things first thing on a Monday - assuming that they pay promptly!

Dave (over 3000 eBay sales and purchases!)

• RMweb Premium

I've always found the opposite! I invariably time my auctions to finish on a Sunday. People are around at weekends and they are shopping online. Plenty of punters to escalate the price!

It suits me too because I can despatch things first thing on a Monday - assuming that they pay promptly!

Dave (over 3000 eBay sales and purchases!)

It's an art not a science! I often pick things up cheap on Sundays but it's not always easy to predict. Just bought a Slaters conflat wagon for £21 with no other bids today! Edited by Hal Nail