The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

WORLD'S WORST EVER MOVIES !

allan downes

Nah, not that time. Well, I say no, if the book did, it didn't make the film.

Jack just goes potty with cabin fever. A brisk walk in the maze sorts him out. Sorry, spoiler!

C6T.

Stephen King ALWAYS  comes back to  just  Indian burial grounds!

I just googled "Shining Stephen King Indian Burial Grounds" and my computer exploded from too many hits. Once it had stopped flaming I checked the top entry, which as usual is Wikipedia, and it said ,

Among interpreters who see the film reflecting more subtly the social concerns that animate other Kubrick films, one of the earliest and most well-known viewpoints was discussed in an essay by ABC reporter Bill Blakemore entitled "Kubrick's 'Shining' Secret: Film's Hidden Horror Is The Murder Of The Indian", first published in The Washington Post on July 12, 1987.[87][88] He believes that indirect references to American killings of Native Americans pervade the film as exemplified by the Indian logos on the baking powder in the kitchen and Indian artwork that appears throughout the hotel, though no Native Americans are ever seen. Stuart Ullman tells Wendy that when building the hotel a few Indian attacks had to be fended off since it was constructed on an Indian burial ground.

Blakemore's general argument is that the film as a whole is a metaphor for the genocide of Native Americans. He notes that when Jack kills Hallorann, the dead body is seen lying on a rug with an Indian motif. The blood in the elevator shafts is, for Blakemore, the blood of the Indians in the burial ground on which the hotel was built. As such, the fact that the date of the final photograph is July 4 is meant to be deeply ironic.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

Stephen King ALWAYS comes back to just Indian burial grounds!

I just googled "Shining Stephen King Indian Burial Grounds" and my computer exploded from too many hits. Once it had stopped flaming I checked the top entry, which as usual is Wikipedia, and it said ,

Among interpreters who see the film reflecting more subtly the social concerns that animate other Kubrick films, one of the earliest and most well-known viewpoints was discussed in an essay by ABC reporter Bill Blakemore entitled "Kubrick's 'Shining' Secret: Film's Hidden Horror Is The Murder Of The Indian", first published in The Washington Post on July 12, 1987.[87][88] He believes that indirect references to American killings of Native Americans pervade the film as exemplified by the Indian logos on the baking powder in the kitchen and Indian artwork that appears throughout the hotel, though no Native Americans are ever seen. Stuart Ullman tells Wendy that when building the hotel a few Indian attacks had to be fended off since it was constructed on an Indian burial ground.

Blakemore's general argument is that the film as a whole is a metaphor for the genocide of Native Americans. He notes that when Jack kills Hallorann, the dead body is seen lying on a rug with an Indian motif. The blood in the elevator shafts is, for Blakemore, the blood of the Indians in the burial ground on which the hotel was built. As such, the fact that the date of the final photograph is July 4 is meant to be deeply ironic.

I have deliberately quoted your post this time MAF purely for comprehensive reasons.

There is an entire portion of the internet dedicated to reading into Kubrik's treatment of the film. Indeed I once woke late night telly on, showing a talking heads documentary on perceived "hidden messages" within The Shining.

For example, Danny wears a knitted Apollo 11 jumper, Kubrik did edit NASA footage for public consumption. That sort of thing gets the conspiracy theorists frothing at the mouth.

You open with "Among interpreters who see the film reflecting more subtly the social concerns that animate other Kubrick films...“

Interpretation being the key word here. Lest it comes from the lips of the man himself, you can interpret what you like, doesn't mean that's what the man meant.

This does not mean I disagree with you directly, indeed, checking my facts tells me King wasn't at all happy with Kubrik's version of his writing, perhaps because King recognised Kubrik using the film to punt his [Kubrik's] own agenda, which may have included treatment of the indigenous population at the hands of the Americans.

That actually wasn't what I gather King intended, thus he subsequently had control of a made for TV version (which I've not seen), but perhaps tellingly was contractually forbidden from criticising the Kubrik film.

Interesting topic in itself though, how the writer of a work and director of a movie may differ on the "take".

C6T.

As an adjunct to The Shining interweb time-wasting, I understand there's also shed loads of server space clogged up with Bladerunner speculation on whether Dekard is a replicant.

To which I say "NO, FOOL, HE AIN'T! Rutger Hauer kicks his ass!" Unless somehow Dekard is a special model replicant with SPECIFICALLY FEEBLE FINGERS.

I await this Autumn's 2049 release with some trepidation friends, C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

"We get the English tabloids down here thanks to the internet web thing, and I just have to ask..., Ex on the Beach, Love Island, geordy shores, chelsea whatever....... what the hell is going on with reality show english girls today?? All bright orange freaks  with lips like goldfish and vacant stares and stupidly fake  boobs like half rockmelons and really really really stupid eyebrows " 

Slappers we call 'em, Monkeysarefun, generally suffering from reduced brain syndrome. They can't help it of course and should be pitied for half their brains dropped onto the floor when their mothers gave birth.  We have blokes like that also who suffer from the same disease and generally known as braindead who  make a living on the Dole dreaming of becoming a rock star or brain surgeon or something .We even get programmes about them where they usually live with a slapper and is the father of one of her eight kids, keeps a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or two, can always be found with a can of lager in their hands and a fag hanging out of their toothless mouth in the shithole of a council rented flat  and where every sentence ends with " Known what I min innit "

Well, maybe we ain't got cantakerous spiders but we've certainly got more than our fair share of them !

Allan

• Like 1

I think that's a bit wide of the mark Allan. None of them ever aspire to something as heady (geddit?) as brain surgery!

And lest anyone forgets, like it or not, the producers of said programmes pick the participants, and they are not going to choose Margaret, librarian from Luton, when Chlamydia of Chelmsford with all that entails is on offer.

The lowest common denomination, it's fairground freak show TV pure and simple. I'd've like to think Channel 4 were above that, sadly no.

C6T.

• Like 1

Somehow, this won awards.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggy_Poo

post-9147-0-98341700-1505331696.jpg

A friend and I found a copy of this in a slightly dodgy DVD shop in Limasol, for some reason she bought it. We watched it drunk, but it didn't make it any better.

Remember, no matter how bad you think a film's story line and plot is, at least it's not about the life of a piece of dog cr@p.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This one tends to polarise opinion, some wax lyrical about it, others say it is rubbish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Keep

I found it to be a bit pretentious and not as clever as it thinks it is but there were some interesting moments. Despite being a WW2 movie it is very much a film of the late 60's and many of the attitudes and sensibilities are more 1969 than 1944.

• RMweb Premium

For an under rated and over looked war movie this one is an excellent film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Red_One

Starring Mark Hamill in one of his few non-Star Wars big parts along with Lee Marvin it combines a thoughtful plot, good characters and some good action sequences and is very well directed and with first class production values. Well worth watching if you haven't seen it.

The remake of Stephen King's IT is currently doing the rounds, and apparently is quite good.

I couldn't help thinking I hope the ending is better than the Tim Curry vehicle, which had a giant rubber arachnid that one of the prop guys must've won on a coconut shy.

Not the only time either that a poorly executed ending has ruined an enjoyable King penned viewing experience.

C6T.

It's a long time since I saw it but IIRC, apart from that terrible ending (did they use up the whole budget and then realise they hadn't done the big finale?), it wasn't at all bad, especially as, again IIRC, it was made for TV rather than cinema release. I've got to say, though, the new one has a hard act to follow to get anywhere near Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise, a role for which I think he deserves more recognition.

And back to bad movies - Timeline, probably the worst of the Crichton movies, and i am a fan of the books

I've not seen that one, but I have seen Sphere - or perhaps more accurately, I sat in a cinema with some friends while the film was being shown - and I thought it was very bad.  Part of the problem was that my friends and I had recently completed our PADI dive training.  Now, this didn't mean that we knew everything that there was to know about diving so that we could spot all the technical errors, but even we knew that the PADI recreational dive tables (which the protagonists are shown consulting during their descent to the deep sea habitat) are snuff all use to you at 1,000ft down.

IIRC this was another film where one of the characters announces "we're all going to die!" and my immediate thought was "please hurry up".

I'm not a big fan of Crichton's work - although Jurassic Park was pretty decent - but Sphere plumbed the depths IMO.  The reason I didn't walk out of that one was that we were in Banff, our accommodation was in Lake Louise, and the next Greyhound wasn't for another three hours.

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

Sphere also has one of those dreadful everyone's-memories-get-erased cop-out ending.  (Which is in the same league of awfulness as the "it was all a dream" cliche.)

As monsters from the ID films go, The Forbidden Planet was much, much better.  It probably helped that it was based on a Shakespeare play.  And it had Leslie Nielsen in it - and Robby the Robot, who later appeared in the Lost in Space TV series.

King Kong.

Best bit, when Naomi Scott does cartwheels for Kong who isn't the slightest bit impressed.

Film was OK but does beg the question - How did they get a pissed off gorilla the size of Kong aboard that boat ?

a2d9f3d7331ba5bdc0b173de587e1544.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

Anything you might recognise  here, Monkeysarefun ? Australian seaflees that did this to a teenager when he went for a swim and, with a bit of luck, Hollywood might pick up on it and give him a part in a horror epic probably entitled " Australian seaflees invade Mars"

Fink I'll stay in Blighty.

Allan

1502086401086.jpg

• Like 1

Anything you might recognise  here, Monkeysarefun ? Australian seaflees that did this to a teenager when he went for a swim and, with a bit of luck, Hollywood might pick up on it and give him a part in a horror epic probably entitled " Australian seaflees invade Mars"

Fink I'll stay in Blighty.

Allan

1502086401086.jpg

THat IS pretty gory. Whats even more gory is that this being Australia you'd have about a billion flies all walking over that in 5 minutes.

Not the  worst pf anything in particular but I just loved this !

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJ

I just put this picture in the Whacky Signs  or whatever thread, but then I came here and found your picture.

I found this in an old overgrown pet cemetery (movie link! - though it wasn't built on an Indian Burial Ground) in an out of the way rural patch of North West Sydney. Appealed to my sense of humour.

post-22541-0-68646900-1505479051_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Convoy, directed by Sam Peckinpah (whose films veered between brilliance and deeply flawed but which were seldom uninteresting) and having some good acting talent this one falls into the bad but bad enough to be worth watching. I was going to say you wouldn't think this was directed by the same chap that directed The Wild Bunch (IMO, one of the all time great films of cinema) but on reflection I think you can see similarities in style.

• Like 1

Convoy, directed by Sam Peckinpah (whose films veered between brilliance and deeply flawed but which were seldom uninteresting) and having some good acting talent this one falls into the bad but bad enough to be worth watching. I was going to say you wouldn't think this was directed by the same chap that directed The Wild Bunch (IMO, one of the all time great films of cinema) but on reflection I think you can see similarities in style.

I never twigged that Convoy was a Sam P. I remember enjoying it when I was 11, which is probably condemnation enough :D.

• Like 2

Agree about the Wild Bunch with the ageing William Holden and terrific casting. Never seen Convoy cos I suspected that the only talent would be the all American scenery - and the Kenworths.

Worst truck movie ever ? Hell Drivers with Stanley Baker, surely.

Allan. 

• Like 1

Best?  I'd nominate The Wages of Fear (1958).

It was also the inspiration for an episode of The Goon Show.

As was Ill Met by Moonlight (1957), and no doubt many others.  But not Quatermass and the Pit (1967).  The 1959 Goon Show episode The Scarlet Capsule was based on the TV version broadcast in 1958/59; it even used some of the same sound effects tapes, as created by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

• Like 1

Old Tone certainly appeared in some tosh in his time but had some surprisingly varied roles, not least his performance as Albert DeSalvo in 'The Boston Strangler' in 1968, playing completely against type, he was very good in that. At the other end of the casting spectrum his larking about, numerous adlibs and stunt work in 'The Persuaders' was also spot on, on one occasion he stood in for his own stuntman and started climbing up the side of a tall warehouse while director Roy Ward Baker had kittens trying to capture it all on film!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Agree about the Wild Bunch with the ageing William Holden and terrific casting. Never seen Convoy cos I suspected that the only talent would be the all American scenery - and the Kenworths.

Ernest Borgnine had a lot of fun in Convoy hamming it up as the bad sheriff in the way he could do so well. He was of course also in the Wild Bunch, Sam Peckinpah had a reputation as a bit of a troubled director (to use the euphemism...) but he tended to work with the same actors a lot (and got some of their best work out of those actors he worked with) indicating that he did have a rapport with those he directed.

On Ernest Borgnine, he was in one of the best railway movies ever made, this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_of_the_North_Pole

His part as the Shack was tremendous!