Bargain Hunters Mark 2

There does seem to be an awful lot of Oxford Rail stock being heavily discounted at the moment.  Have they been a bit of a flop?

When I worked in a Model Shop People would only buy Hornby stuff despite the Baccy items being better especially the Train sets when you compared the Horny controller with the Baccy ones. After giving the customer the Speal they would still settle for the Hornby one. A week later they would be back looking for a Baccy Transformer and controller as the Hornby one kept shutting down!! ching ching! Brand Loyalty!!

Edited by Georgeconna

• RMweb Premium

There does seem to be an awful lot of Oxford Rail stock being heavily discounted at the moment.  Have they been a bit of a flop?

Seems like it

Ian Allan seem to sell plenty of wagons but the locos hang around somewhat

They still have some of the Adam's Radials from when they were first released as well as early version Dean Goods, both are discounted somewhat.

IMHO Oxford need to up their game and start producing more better performing locos. There's too much hit and miss whether you get a good runner or not.

Maybe spend a little more on getting the design right and increase the price a little? Still be cheaper that the others.

How difficult is it to design an inside cylinder 0-6-0 chassis? Bachmann have done loads and AFAIK there isn't a completely duff one amongst them.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Ian Allan in Birmingham have 8 Dean Goods #2475 going @£60 each

"Poor sellers" I was told

They did have 9 but I could'nt resist another, even with the sometimes iffy performance.

Keith

Also Bachmann LMS Stanier moguls for a hundred pounds, a few there at that price.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

Seems like it

Ian Allan seem to sell plenty of wagons but the locos hang around somewhat

They still have some of the Adam's Radials from when they were first released as well as early version Dean Goods, both are discounted somewhat.

IMHO Oxford need to up their game and start producing more better performing locos. There's too much hit and miss whether you get a good runner or not.

Maybe spend a little more on getting the design right and increase the price a little? Still be cheaper that the others.

How difficult is it to design an inside cylinder 0-6-0 chassis? Bachmann have done loads and AFAIK there isn't a completely duff one amongst them.

Keith

Maybe it's because, until recently, things in Ian Allen were priced at or near manufacturer's RRP?  Even though the prices now seem more competitive I still perceive Ian Allen as an expensive place to shop (plus I don't go into Birmingham that often).  But it does mean that IA often has stuff that's sold out elsewhere.  And, for those in the know, there are bargains to be had.

• RMweb Premium

Wheel cleaner from Conrad as it's half the price of the same item from Gaugemaster. We bought several for Club members to get them post free and they were the genuine article in Trix boxes although the website photo shows them as 'own brand'

£11.99    https://www.conrad-e...-1-pcs?ref=list

£24.75    http://www.gaugemast...code=Trix 66602

Hope that helps

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Maybe it's because, until recently, things in Ian Allen were priced at or near manufacturer's RRP? 

I disagree.

I have been using them for years and it is rare I find the difference elsewhere to be worth the effort of an online order.

Bear in mind if you have a loyalty card it is effectively another 5% off. (given on cumulative sales)

keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I disagree.

I have been using them for years and it is rare I find the difference elsewhere to be worth the effort of an online order.

Bear in mind if you have a loyalty card it is effectively another 5% off. (given on cumalative sales)

keith

I can also concour that IA seems to be playing the game now I've also been using them for at least the past 15 years if anything I find them cheaper as there is no postage fee to pay out seen as I'm in Birmingham playing with the real train set.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Cheapest I have seen the latest gWr HST's. I bought one the other day and delivered the next day - have to say the gloss paint finish is simply stunning! Now normally I would baulk at paying that price for a motor + dummy but even the box shifters are nowhere near as low as this in price.

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/12460/R3685---Class-43-HST-GWR-Green-Livery

• Like 1

A real bargain on eBay if you live in the Okehampton area.

A Lidl collectors display cabinet for £5 buy it now, pick up only.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183466846589

If I lived closer you wouldn’t be reading this.

//Simon

Thank you for posting, I have been looking for another one of these for ages, just got to arrange collection now.

Edit, picked it up this morning, took ages to find the place as there were no sign posts at all, but all is well and it is now in the mancave next to the other two already in there, thanks again for posting th e link.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Currently on the sale table at Ian Allan, Birmingham:

Still a few Bachmann Coaches

39-127B Mk1 Crimson/Cream £25
39-051J Mk1 Maroon £26

Bachmann points 36-872,-873,-874,-875 £5ea

Some EFE lorries & Buses for £5

Oxford Rail

Still got several of the Dean Goods 2475 for £60
Now added several Sound fitted for £100.

Oxford Rail wagon 3 packs PLA, ICI & ASW (These are Golden Valley commisions) £20

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

@melmerby

Are these items on t'intertubes? I can't seem to find via Google, a way into the modelling part of Ian Allan - only the books show up. A nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Ta,

Philip

@melmerby

Are these items on t'intertubes? I can't seem to find via Google, a way into the modelling part of Ian Allan - only the books show up. A nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Ta,

Philip

In the shop only.

• RMweb Premium

Can we have a Bargain Hunters - Birmingham thread so those of us who don't live there can ignore it!

I didn't know that bargains in Brum were not allowed.

As I am obviously offending you I will stop putting them up.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Can we have a Bargain Hunters - Birmingham thread so those of us who don't live there can ignore it!

Seriously!

I don’t live in Birmingham either but pass though new st for work quite often and many times on the basis of the posts in this thread have called in to Ian Allan and grabbed me a bargain or two between changing trains

I for one appreciate melmerby’s posts (and don’t moan when someone puts up posts saying such and such model shop nonwhere near me is having a walk in sale that I can’t get to!)

Edited by big jim