The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My emphasis.

Remember that there is no direct election of a President in the US. The system here uses a relic of slavery and the three-fifths compromise in the form of the Electoral College - which technically elects the President - which is the whole January 6 thing.

A direct vote would have had a completely different outcome and would (in my opinion) to be far superior. This would require a Constitutional Amendment - and ratification by two-thirds of the state legislatures - meaning it won't happen anytime soon. See above.

It took around 50 years for two thirds of the states to agree that women should have equal rights as men - but the consensus is that it took too long and that proposed amendment is dead.

Yes, I do know much of that. But in the US you get presented with a form, paper or electronic, with the name of candidates for President - so in effect you do have some choice, certainly that's what voters believe they are voting for. The placards clearly display that belief!

That is something you just don't have in the likes of Australia, where we the voters, have zero input as to who becomes G-G. I don't like the idea that the PM alone gets to chose, so in that regard 2/3rds of MP's would be much better.

We have to have a G-G, so agreement would have to come about. It is of course mostly a ceremonial role, rubber stamping parliament Acts. As I suggested before, if they are doing their job properly, people should largely be unaware of who they are!

That of course is entirely different to the post of US President.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Never mind the wildlife, it's the those on temporary work visas, that you need to afraid of!

Warning...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09-09/baby-boy-coffee-attack-stones-corner-brisbane/104303700

The alleged perp looks like a shifty b@stard.  On the basis that the punishment should fit the crime, he should have boiling coffee poured over his torso and allowed to heal, without pain relief, repeated over several cycles.  He should then be incarcerated in a secure establishment for an unspecified length of time.

Sorry, I'm not feeling forgiving towards such types this morning!

Edited by Hroth
Thought I better label him with a Private Eye "alleged"...
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If anything can, a pelican.

And in keeping with the Australian "******* obvious names" theme have you noticed that Stony Point is ...... well ..... stony? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

And in keeping with the Australian "******* obvious names" theme have you noticed that Stony Point is ...... well ..... stony? 

Good point...

Shelly beach is shelly, too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Good point...

But can you get a cooked breakfast at Egg & Bacon Bay? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Don't mention Yorkey's Knob.

But that passes the American naughty word detection! Anyway, what's wrong with Yorkey's?  Which is the underlined bit on my PC. 🙃

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Good point...

On the other hand Victoria's 90 Mile Beach is actually 94 miles long, so we aren't always so obvious.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

On the other hand Victoria's 90 Mile Beach is actually 94 miles long, so we aren't always so obvious.

Possibly the only beach you can go to on a busy day and not see anyone else

They didn’t want to oversell it. 

Or boast

Size isn’t everything. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Possibly the only beach you can go to on a busy day and not see anyone else

They didn’t want to oversell it. 

Or boast

Size isn’t everything. 

Stockton Beach, in the premier state, isn't as long but it can be pretty empty.

Anyway, in a few weeks' time I'll be spending a night in Lakes Entrance on a road trip to Melbourne. I don't think I'll have time to measure the beach, though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll be spending a night in Lakes Entrance on a road trip to Melbourne

We like Lakes Entrance. We stayed there one New Year. It was, of course, packed by the standards of a popular small regional town.  It was certainly party-on though the cops were pretty vigilant about enforcing the no-alcohol-outdoors ruling. 

That would be the only New Year I have seen in whilst swimming in the ocean (the Southern Ocean) and which was cold by local standards but not to this visiting Pom. 

There have been other midnight beach parties across New Year but none involving a full ocean swim in deep, cold and powerful waters. The rest were at one of the bayside beaches - Frankston, Seaford or Balnarring - with warmer and shallow quiet water best for a dip more than for a proper swim 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When on road trips around the coast we have stayed in Bemm River or Mallacoota. The former beautifully quiet and the latter stunningly beautiful and sensible off-season. It gets crazy in summer. 

I have also driven Melbourne to Canberra in one go several times. Both via the Hume and via the mountains through Cann River and Cooma. I definitely prefer the latter though it’s a good couple of hours longer and uses a lot more fuel. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We like Lakes Entrance. We stayed there one New Year. It was, of course, packed by the standards of a popular small regional town.  It was certainly party-on though the cops were pretty vigilant about enforcing the no-alcohol-outdoors ruling.

Those 'No Alcohol' signs are pretty common, around shopping strips these days.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

When on road trips around the coast we have stayed in Bemm River or Mallacoota. The former beautifully quiet and the latter stunningly beautiful and sensible off-season. It gets crazy in summer. 

Mallacoota tragically bore the ferocity of the 2019- 2020  fires. 

image.png.178a5fdd947bbb129ced5ddb5e088f21.png

I'll never forget how on the news at the time  one resident said that as  they ran to the beach to escape the flames they could hear  the sound of koalas screaming. Awful.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I have also driven Melbourne to Canberra in one go several times. Both via the Hume and via the mountains through Cann River and Cooma. I definitely prefer the latter though it’s a good couple of hours longer and uses a lot more fuel. 

I'll be driving south along the coast, overnight stops at Bermagui and Lakes Entrance, then back through the mountains, overnight stops at Bairnsdale and Cooma (as above). Suggestions for morning tea and lunch on each day welcome!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mallacoota tragically bore the ferocity of the 2019- 2020  fires. 

image.png.178a5fdd947bbb129ced5ddb5e088f21.png

I'll never forget how on the news at the time  one resident said that as  they ran to the beach to escape the flames they could hear  the sound of koalas screaming. Awful.

Stayed in Mallacoota on my 2018 road trip. So sad to see the pictures during the fires and recognising places their I had stood and taken photos.

Edited by JZ
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Thinking of getting the train out to Bathurst in December. Is the rail museum there worth the visit? Would also like to visit the Motorsport Museum, but getting both in may be tight. Have about 5 hours in Bathurst.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Country miles, obvs.

Hello All, building on a long tradition, the 100 Years War (1337-1453) = 116, did not do much for arithmetic either ! Regards, Tumut.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1