The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I wonder if he is going to Strahan to drive on the West Coast Wilderness Railway? If so, I envy him.

On the other hand, I couldn't take the heat and humidity in Normanton on a permanent basis.

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I wonder if he is going to Strahan to drive on the West Coast Wilderness Railway? If so, I envy him.

On the other hand, I couldn't take the heat and humidity in Normanton on a permanent basis.

John Isherwood.

Strahan or Zig Zag would be the good bets.  

It takes a special person to live and work in FNQ for a long time.  The Tin Hare is an icon and it cannot be worked into the main Queensland Rail services because it is so remote and so different.  It needs a dedicated person or two to take it on; one to drive and one to brew the billy-tea at the stops.  And it's only once a week so aside from the rather tough environment lifestyle-wise it's not a terribly big ask.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It takes a special person to live and work in FNQ for a long time.  ...  the rather tough environment lifestyle-wise ...

I cannot imagine what it would be like to live year-round in Normanton. It certainly needs the *right* person.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I cannot imagine what it would be like to live year-round in Normanton. I certainly needs the *right* person.

If it was me, regular attendance at the Purple Pub would be obligatory!

For our few days in Normanton, we had arrived via the Gulflander, and were to stay in a cabin at the caravan park.

We were dripping sweat / perspiration when we got there, but were pleased to note the swimming pool, complete with shade net.

A quick change in the air-conditioned cabin, and then straight into the pool for ..... a huge disappointment - the water temperature resembled that of a freshly-poured cup of tea!

I also recall the torture of sitting in the shade on the beach at Karumba, next to an idyllic-looking sea - which was strictly off-limits due to salties and box jellyfish!

Like you say - a special breed!

At the end of next month, we are to drive Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide over five weeks - we trust that it will be hot, but not as humid as FNQ!

John Isherwood.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

He'll certainly notice a change in the weather!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I see that he is moving to Tasmania to drive steam locos. He will notice a slight difference in the weather!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If it was me, regular attendance at the Purple Pub would be obligatory!

For our few days in Normanton, we had arrived via the Gulflander, and were to stay in a cabin at the caravan park.

We were dripping sweat / perspiration when we got there, but were pleased to note the swimming pool, complete with shade net.

A quick change in the air-conditioned cabin, and then straight into the pool for ..... a huge disappointment - the water temperature resembled that of a freshly-poured cup of tea!

I also recall the torture of sitting in the shade on the beach at Karumba, next to an idyllic-looking sea - which was strictly off-limits due to salties and box jellyfish!

Like you say - a special breed!

At the end of next month, we are to drive Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide over five weeks - we trust that it will be hot, but not as humid as FNQ!

John Isherwood.

Thats exactly like the NT in the "buildup" before the wet hits in January. I've been there in the Dry ie "winter" and its beautiful, but my trips there after October are brutal. Nothing gets done, the place  basically closes. All the backpacker haunts that are like a never ending drunken party in the dry are all shut, like the English seaside  in winter but opposite weatherwise. The Arafura Sea looks sparkling Sapphire blue but ya daren't even  dip your toe in it. 

I too remember arriving at the motel in Katherine and thinking "Great a pool!" and diving into lukewarm water. Next to Tindal airbase (the  reason for my visit) I discovered there are subtarranean caves. "Great! caves are cool" I thought and hung around in the heat for a couple of hours until the tour guide arrived to open them.

Climbing down into them however  it was even ^&#@$^ hotter than outsid. "Most caves are cooler, but these being tropical are actually warmer and more humid than the outside" the tour guide, Mr Obvious told us. Wish it had said that on the sign outside, I'd have driven down to Mataranka Springs instead!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I see that he is moving to Tasmania to drive steam locos. He will notice a slight difference in the weather!

Went on the wilderness railway in 2011, definitely is wildernessy. Amazing how they built it through some of that terrain.

. Only lowpoint was the bus trip back to Strahan, sat in front of some kiddies who got through "The wheels on the bus go round and round" about 20000 times for the 40 minutes the journey took.

P1050377.JPG.7dab4c3ef3077d2da01ebcf9be894ef9.JPG

P1050398.JPG.2ee0fddd3d7fcff37fa542e93f2e7ea7.JPG

P1050416.JPG.426e073e1b68578d371332301b339c7a.JPG

P1050376.JPG.3ae9e8271975ba938fcb7ae26b11e1dd.JPG

• Like 9

This is a hard watch:

Miriam Margolyes: Australia Unmasked, Series 1: Episode 2: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001gqsd via @bbciplayer

Within five minutes of the same programme, castigating faux Aussie class system at a polo match, proudly stating herself as a fat Jew, and then asking about "Bogans" in her plummy upper middle class accent.

I really dunno what Miriam is trying to find in this programme. Class system in Oz to somehow disprove the existence in the Mother Country? Or reinforcement of it?

I make no bones. Watch it, don't watch it.

C6T.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Classsix T said:

This is a hard watch:

Miriam Margolyes: Australia Unmasked, Series 1: Episode 2: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001gqsd via @bbciplayer

Within five minutes of the same programme, castigating faux Aussie class system at a polo match, proudly stating herself as a fat Jew, and then asking about "Bogans" in her plummy upper middle class accent.

I really dunno what Miriam is trying to find in this programme. Class system in Oz to somehow disprove the existence in the Mother Country? Or reinforcement of it?

I make no bones. Watch it, don't watch it.

C6T

Well she may be an Australian citizen but knocking the place is unaustralian and she will be banished like the rest.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well she may be an Australian citizen but knocking the place is unaustralian and she will be banished like the rest.

Perhaps she should be de-citizenised?

....... but for goodness sake don't send her to the UK on a permanent basis.

Not a likeable lady!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This was from an Aussie cars facebook group, an ad from 1986 or nearby.

Back when you could buy a GTS Monaro AND an XA Falcon Sedan AND a 1968 Fairlane AND a panel van and spend   $1,120 LESS money than the price of ONE 1982 Bluebird... Tell that to the kids these days and they just wont believe you.

image.png.921bafff1479d093231fd0cc9678873c.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

This was from an Aussie cars facebook group, an ad from 1986 or nearby.

Back when you could buy a GTS Monaro AND an XA Falcon Sedan AND a 1968 Fairlane AND a panel van and spend   $1,120 LESS money than the price of ONE 1982 Bluebird... Tell that to the kids these days and they just wont believe you.

image.png.921bafff1479d093231fd0cc9678873c.png

Demand drives a market Chris, why the exponential rise in "value" of these cars specifically?

Did they not have large production runs coupled with the fact a large proportion got pranged?

Finding a "straight" British classic isn't actually difficult I'd suggest and even presentable and decent models aren't going silly money. So what's the rub in Oz that a Falcon will be a better return than a Van Gough?

Genuine q, C6T.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Demand drives a market Chris, why the exponential rise in "value" of these cars specifically?

Did they not have large production runs coupled with the fact a large proportion got pranged?

Finding a "straight" British classic isn't actually difficult I'd suggest and even presentable and decent models aren't going silly money. So what's the rub in Oz that a Falcon will be a better return than a Van Gough?

Genuine q, C6T.

Cos its Summernats  in Canberra right now ( "Think Goodwood festival of speed", its exactly like that...)  and we need them to do hectic burnouts!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2023 at 23:44, monkeysarefun said:

Cos its Summernats  in Canberra right now ( "Think Goodwood festival of speed", its exactly like that...)  and we need them to do hectic burnouts!

Good. God.

I see that at least one of the cameramen had the right idea, while some of the spectators have apparently attended such events, without taking precautions, all their lives...

Goodwood it ain't!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I guess most of that is fake smoke?

Kev.

Some of the cars appear to be emitting smoke from a source well foward of the rear wheels, and the one with the coloured smoke definitely is, others look more "natural"...

• Agree 1

Fake smoke is totally against the intention of the Motorsport Australia Burnout Event  Standing Regulations and  would get you drummed off the burnout pad!

Here's the  rules, I believe they are similar to the  ones used by HRH Prince Philip in those carriage burnout competitions he used to attend.

Screenshot_20230109-222243.png.f82fa6b2ff3e6fa5a66cbc04a1b352c7.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Fake smoke is totally against the intention of the Motorsport Australia Burnout Event  Standing Regulations and  would get you drummed off the burnout pad!

Here's the  rules, I believe they are similar to the  ones used by HRH Prince Philip in those carriage burnout competitions he used to attend.

Screenshot_20230109-222243.png.f82fa6b2ff3e6fa5a66cbc04a1b352c7.png

"Large Fire - minus 10 points"

"Tyres Still Inflated - minus 10 points"

....the mind boggles!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2