The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not the biggest I've caught but the biggest that I've caught when there's been someone  with a camera behind me (not my son).

h3.jpg.2401930ee3fd1cce656708cfd7a09029.jpg

The camera was actually wielded by the spider's much larger mother.

She's behind you!!!  :jester:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SRman said:

The camera was actually wielded by the spider's much larger mother.

She's behind you!!!  :jester:

Never mind the mother.  It's the Mother-in-Law you need to worry about :jester: 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

By no means the biggest I have seen but the biggest I have been able to photograph against a ruler!  

050085.JPG.05d6a73285ca34576711e2bf54f4b342.JPG

Even the dragon-flies are super-sized.

050459.JPG.9c8bc0874d0111adad94cf5bf66aa3ae.JPG

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We get quite a few huntsmen in our place over the season( they're all called Harold .by the way), they are brilliant, when they are at home.....no mozzies, no nasty spiders or  other insects that want to bite you, all end up in the huntsmen's gut. Always happy to say G'day to one of these blokes.

Mike

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not the biggest I've caught ...

A university mate was a keen archer and had a compound bow handy. He was renting an old Queenslander (with a very high tongue-and-groove wooden ceiling) and decided to shoot at a huntsman in the lounge/living room, rather than deal with ladders etc to remove it.

He was very proud of his marksmanship (which was impressive) not that I approve(d) of the extermination of such a helpful beast.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, faulcon1 said:

Just popped outside and this went strolling past. Do you get wildlife such as this in England?

We have blue-tailed skinks in Idaho. Their tails are a brilliant "electric" blue and they lose them if they are attacked. But they are much, much smaller than your pal and they are pretty quick too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

who had tsunami on their 2022 apocalypse bingo card?

Stop feeding Tongans fart-making foods ;)  Someone went for a swim and exploded :O  

5 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Do you get wildlife such as this in England?

Oh we get much better than that.  We get Blue-Tongue Drinkers - those whose language turns the air blue when filled with falling-down waters :jester:  Highly toxic to most other life-forms!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Okay, who had tsunami on their 2022 apocalypse bingo card?

The satellite pictures of the explosive eruption are truly stunning.

The whole Pacific was affected:

A tsunami warning has been issued for the islands of Tonga and parts of Japan. Tsunami advisories have also been issued for New Zealand's North Island and the west coast of the United States from California to Alaska, as well as Canada's British Columbia. 

Apparently it has hit Alaska and the west coast, but was more like a nuisance king tide with some minor flooding in car parks in Alaska and splashy waves in California.

A different story in Tonga of course. 

Norfolk Island apparently had some of the highest waves.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 2

Came out to a flat tyre this morning, Took it off to find this on the inside.

The tyre  was fine yesterday afternoon when I got home so I can only assume a Drop Bear  got stuck into it  overnight since they are nocturnal and I do have a largish tree in my front yard that attracts them.

PXL_20220118_203015094.jpg.743f04bf1f0f7820e4f2f35c2ec7f1e4.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Took it off to find this on the inside.

Nasty. I had a Goodyear tyre (original equipment on my car) fail on the inside sidewall with the steel belt fragments poking through the side.

I was driving on the highway when the pressure gauge went off. Pulling off the road I found a gas/petrol station with an air compressor (not that common these days) and the tyre wouldn't hold pressure. The steel fragments cut my finger (not badly) when I pulled the wheel off.

• Friendly/supportive 3

I can only assume a Drop Bear  got stuck into it  overnight since they are nocturnal and I do have a largish tree in my front yard that attracts them.

PXL_20220118_203015094.jpg.743f04bf1f0f7820e4f2f35c2ec7f1e4.jpg

Are you sure it wasn't your old girlfriend Deb? You know, Deb Ris.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

It almost looks like the rim's bolt pattern does not match the axle's and the lugbolts look too large in diameter to fit the rim's holes.

I guess they use the one rim model to fit 2 different stud patterns.     

At least it wasnt my ute. That doesnt have a spare but relies on a can of goo that you spray into a flat tyre to get you going again. No way goo would have stayed in THAT tyre!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

270792269_685837035793984_4793987921296310372_n.jpg

Not Australia, but in Kentucky:

1158693786_0033100_0027postedposted27aug17.jpg.f58a4fdcb20a4bbea60616c2147a3d54.jpg

EDIT: "Lick" is another name for a stream, brook, etc.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 2