The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

So, just who am I (unfortunately) looking at? The faces mean nothing to me (and maybe to others, also).

The one on the left is a chap who models US outline HO, amongst doing other things...

• Agree 3

48 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I know the name but not the face; his is not my kind of music.

Maybe you'd prefer his model rail(road).   All his own work, except the electrics.

Takes tools etc with him on tour and models in between gigs etc.

image.png.280aed94b4cc52ead8f5f356fc562442.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

So, just who am I (unfortunately) looking at? The faces mean nothing to me (and maybe to others, also).

The one on the left spends most of his time in the US and has featured in Model Railroader and Railway Modeller, for obvious reasons. The others are the owners and staff at the retail shop, apparently visited by the former on his Australian tour.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The one on the left spends most of his time in the US and has featured in Model Railroader and Railway Modeller, for obvious reasons. The others are the owners and staff at the retail shop, apparently visited by the former on his Australian tour.

As it hasn't been mentioned explicitly yet, I'll put in a plug for https://woodpeckermodelrailways.com.au/.

Usual disclaimer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As it hasn't been mentioned explicitly yet, I'll put in a plug for https://woodpeckermodelrailways.com.au/.

Usual disclaimer.

I was chatting to Marilyn just recently on the phone to get some decoders from Woodpecker. She and the late Alan Lee, and latterly their son Steve, have always offered friendly and helpful service. My wife and I dropped in there one Saturday while we were in Sydney many years ago, and they offered us cups of tea and coffee while we browsed. I hadn't realised they closed at 2.00pm on Saturdays, so we were happily chatting with them and looking at things well after 2.00, when I suddenly realised the rest of the customers had all gone. Alan and Marilyn knew we had come from Melbourne so kept the shop open just for us because we had come so far. Very nice people.

See: not everything in Oz is bad or dangerous!! 😁

Edited by SRman
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SRman said:

not everything in Oz is bad or dangerous!! 😁

I'll remember that the next time anyone suggests my hobby is bad for me or dangerous!!!  Not looking at anyone in particular at all, Dr. SWMBO 🤣

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

Why? He has lost literally every civil case he has ever brought against anyone, ending up paying costs.

Did you notice who is on his legal team?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Did you notice who is on his legal team?

Yes........Oh Mr Porter...........Hmmmmmmm

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, ikks said:

Sorry Andy but ths guy is a dick!!

Mike

He's got to recoup the $160 million he spent on the last two elections - theres still one or two of his posters  up around here from the 2019 election.

The scary thought is that about 1 in 20 voters thought he was the best guy to run the place. 

LIves in Singapore and wants the case heard in Switzerland.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How is his toy boat coming along? 😉

Went the way of the dinosaur - the " Palmersaurus."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-03/clive-palmers-dinosaur-park:-a-jurassic-idea/6276588#:~:text=Clive Palmer's dinosaur theme park,"world's largest dinosaur park".

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

A friend of ours, who first came to the UK as his dresser, described him as “a genius but the worst person to work for”. Adding “cantankerous” and other words to her justification for walking away from his tour and taking up UK residency. Which is how and where she met us. She retained some affection for his stage personae but not for the man himself. 

Goodbye, possums. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A friend of ours, who first came to the UK as his dresser, described him as “a genius but the worst person to work for”. Adding “cantankerous” and other words to her justification for walking away from his tour and taking up UK residency. Which is how and where she met us. She retained some affection for his stage personae but not for the man himself. 

Goodbye, possums. 

Not uncommon from some 'personalities'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

... described him as “a genius but the worst person to work for”. Adding “cantankerous” ...

A university classmate arrived late to one of his performances, date in tow, and headed to their seats near the front. My classmate was excoriated for his tardiness with what can only be described as a vulgar, misogynistic and racist remark about his date's ethnicity - not uncommon then, but well beyond the pale by today's standards.

I am pretty sure I encountered the late gentleman on a hike at Noosa Heads National Park some decades ago. (I think it was the same day I spotted a koala in a tree hanging over a cliff with a magnificent ocean view.) I did not interact with him any differently than any stranger on a hiking path.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1