The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

In that case.....

https://www.valleyheightsrailmuseum.info/

Theres also teh ZigZag at Lithgow, not sure what state the track is in after fire and floods but the scenery is spectacular.

I understand it is still closed.

But while in Katoomba and if you fancy a beer, I can heartily recommend this place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JZ said:

The 100 or even 110 speed limit is quite a challenge on many roads, given the number of potholes. One eye on the road ahead and one on the road in front. If you see a car coming towards you and it's weaving all over the road, it's a good sign of potholes ahead. I will never complain about potholes in British roads again.

Down to two years of flooding and rain. My local council area which stretches from down near Mittagong to near Penrith and out to the Warragamba district  has 30,000 holes which  I guess someone has counted, ala The Beatles "A Day In The Life".

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, JZ said:

I understand it is still closed.

But while in Katoomba and if you fancy a beer, I can heartily recommend this place.

Thanks - it comes well recommended from other sources, too.

We will definitely be revisiting the 'Palisades' in Sydney, too - great beer and 'crack'.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, JZ said:

And if you are spending any time in Sydney, get an Opal card. Covers trains, light rail, busses and ferries. I went north to Newcastle, south to Kiama, visit the small blowhole, rather than the big one nearer town, and inland to Katoomba, Blue Mountains. I think it covers all the way to Orange.

Is good value if used extensively since fares are capped daily/weekly, eg weekdays you'll never pay more than about $17.00 no matter how many trips you do, how far the journey is. Weekends its capped at about $7.00 so you can do ferry trips and train journeys all day for 7 bucks.

Even better, after 8 trips in one week the rest of your fares are half price. This leads to canny long distance city workers spending Monday lunchtime travelling from Central to Town Hall and back  etc several times to rack up the 8 trips, so their actual commuting journeys for the rest of the week are half fare.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Thanks - it comes well recommended from other sorces, too.

We will definitely be revisiting the 'Palisades' in Sydney, too - great beer and 'crack'.

John Isherwood.

The Lord Nelson, on The Rocks also has some great beers, as does the East Sydney Hotel in Woolloomalloo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JZ said:

The Lord Nelson, on The Rocks also has some great beers, as does the East Sydney Hotel in Woolloomalloo.

There aint no a in Woollomooloo!

But there is Harrys Cafe De Wheels for a pie floater afterwards.

image.png.9e40678a0462d9aaeb0e74dfb08602bd.png

image.png.2199b39991467b3ba2503e25e99522fe.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I've heard it said quite often that they allow you 10% leeway but have also known motorists booked for less than that.  Freeway cameras are notorious; they are safety features but also revenue-raisers and can be set for exactly 100kmh if the road operator so chooses. I have definitely passed several at 102 - 105kmh whilst "going with the flow" and nothing ever happened.  

No, it's 3% plus 3kmh for fixed and mobile cameras, but police patrols do have discretion. The toll road operators DO NOT own those particular cameras, so they can't set for what they like. So for a 100kmh zone, you've got 106kmh, after that if the camera sees you - you're gone.

You can appeal for a warning if detected at less than 10kmh over and it's more than 2 years since your last speeding ticket. I did successfully appeal about 5 years ago, for doing 67 in a 60 zone, I thought it was a 70 zone - that section of road has a mixture of 60 & 70 limits.

Only applies under these limited circumstances and never for more serious offences, like missing red lights or more than 10kmh.

I was driving last night and a couple of hundred metres behind a police car. Sudden, they hit the anchors, put the lights on and did a U-turn and went off after a car in the other direction. No one had appeared to be speeding, so I guess the computer 'pinged' an unregistered vehicle or vehicle belonging to a suspended licence holder.

I know about the latter, because my wife had hers suspended for medical reasons (reinstated for now), but I got stopped because I was driving her car. It ended up being down to a fine art (9 times in 2 1/2 years), once I knew what they were stopping me for! My licence in my hand by the time they walked up and I don't look like Mrs kevinlms!

Nothing but politeness from all, they are doing exactly their jobs - the computer says NO!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

No, it's 3% plus 3kmh for fixed and mobile cameras, but police patrols do have discretion. The toll road operators DO NOT own those particular cameras, so they can't set for what they like. So for a 100kmh zone, you've got 106kmh, after that if the camera sees you - you're gone.

You can appeal for a warning if detected at less than 10kmh over and it's more than 2 years since your last speeding ticket. I did successfully appeal about 5 years ago, for doing 67 in a 60 zone, I thought it was a 70 zone - that section of road has a mixture of 60 & 70 limits.

Only applies under these limited circumstances and never for more serious offences, like missing red lights or more than 10kmh.

I was driving last night and a couple of hundred metres behind a police car. Sudden, they hit the anchors, put the lights on and did a U-turn and went off after a car in the other direction. No one had appeared to be speeding, so I guess the computer 'pinged' an unregistered vehicle or vehicle belonging to a suspended licence holder.

I know about the latter, because my wife had hers suspended for medical reasons (reinstated for now), but I got stopped because I was driving her car. It ended up being down to a fine art (9 times in 2 1/2 years), once I knew what they were stopping me for! My licence in my hand by the time they walked up and I don't look like Mrs kevinlms!

Nothing but politeness from all, they are doing exactly their jobs - the computer says NO!

I got pulled up for overtaking a police car in a suspicious manner on a dual carriageway one night. . Thats what they said anyway when they came to the window and flashed the torch around inside the car.  "You overtook us in a suspicious manner". 

Probably because I was in a yellow GTR Torana and on my P plates at the time. 

I apologised and got let off. Not sure if that was because it was my first suspicious overtaking offence or not though. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cctransuk said:

At the end of this month my wife and I will be travelling to Australia. Our itinerary comprises a coastal tour Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide; one day driving, two days rest, over five weeks.

Brisbane - Workshops Rail Museum at Ipswich, Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway ad Bundamba (near Ipswich), Brisbane Tramway Museum at Ferny Grove. Worth taking the CityCat ferry along the Brisbane River.

Gold Coast - Take a ride on the light rail. If you're there at the right time, Gold Coast Model Railway Club has an open day on 4th February.  

Hunter Valley - stop anywhere between Maitland and Sandgate to see some big coal trains. 

Sydney - NSW Rail Museum at Thirlmere, Powerhouse Museum at Ultimo (which houses NSWGR loco No.1), Valley Heights rail museum, Sydney Tramway Museum at Loftus. Worth taking a train up the Blue Mountains (Katoomba/Lithgow) or south to Kiama for some spectacular scenery. Also worth taking the ferry to Manly to see the harbour.

Junee Roundhouse on the way to Melbourne.

Not railway related, but I can highly recommend stopping at Holbrook just off the Hume Highway. The bakery has excellent pies and cakes. You an also see a submarine in a park!

Melbourne - Puffing Billy at Belgrave (go by suburban train as parking there is terrible), Bellarine Railway at Queenscliff (this historic town is worth a visit anyway), Victorian Goldfields Railway at Maldon. Ride the free City Circle tram which uses heritage trams from the 1940s. Bendigo is worth a day trip - lots of gold rush history and more heritage trams.

Adelaide - National Railway Museum at Port Adelaide, SteamRanger Heritage Railway at Goolwa.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Not railway related, but I can highly recommend stopping at Holbrook just off the Hume Highway. The bakery has excellent pies and cakes. You an also see a submarine in a park!

I like Yatala pies (mostly for my dad's nostalgia for the original - now much bigger and more industrial) rather than the pies themselves. They are (or were) known for their 'family' pies.

Dad was a surf lifesaver (Pacific SLSC) in the late 1950s. They would go down to the coast on the old two-lane highway* and stop for pies at Yatala - convenient being roughly the halfway point and the trip was much slower then.

* Before the four lane highway built on top of the old Southport line alignment, which came before the M1.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Thanks - it comes well recommended from other sorces, too.

John Isherwood.

If you are going the coast way rather than via Canberra then Jervis Bay is another place to stop at, though Hyams Beach can be a nightmare at weekends and holidays ever  since 2 years ago when some "instagrammer" took photos of the "Whitest Sand in the world" (it isnt) and now every bloody one has to go down and get the same photo. Stupid thing is theres a whole heap of other beaches in the bay that have the same sand but no one in the instagram world has figured that out yet so they are usually empty.

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast/jervis-bay-and-shoalhaven/jervis-bay

Further south Murramurang has  "tame" kangaroos  on the beach.

image.png.58e01b2d9d54fee7d83a61e33acb757a.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Melbourne - Puffing Billy at Belgrave (go by suburban train as parking there is terrible), Bellarine Railway at Queenscliff (this historic town is worth a visit anyway), Victorian Goldfields Railway at Maldon. Ride the free City Circle tram which uses heritage trams from the 1940s. Bendigo is worth a day trip - lots of gold rush history and more heritage trams.

Melbourne's suburban rail network has changed radically in the last decade or so. Lots of level crossings have been eliminated, either with lowered tracks, others by 'Skyrail'. The latter were a subject of a campaign by the opposition, but hardly anyone complains of the new stations etc, once completed. Another political fail!

But yes, Puffing Billy & Bendigo trams are well worth it. You need to plan your PB visit out, if you want the full length journey and also since Covid the trains don't run almost every day.

You can take your dog on special trains - a new one on me! Although currently booked out.

https://puffingbilly.com.au/experiences/puffing-billy-dog-express/

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Melbourne's suburban rail network has changed radically in the last decade or so. Lots of level crossings have been eliminated, either with lowered tracks, others by 'Skyrail'. The latter were a subject of a campaign by the opposition, but hardly anyone complains of the new stations etc, once completed. Another political fail!

But yes, Puffing Billy & Bendigo trams are well worth it. You need to plan your PB visit out, if you want the full length journey and also since Covid the trains don't run almost every day.

You can take your dog on special trains - a new one on me! Although currently booked out.

https://puffingbilly.com.au/experiences/puffing-billy-dog-express/

I sent John a PM suggesting Puffing Billy, and also giving him my contact details as I am half way to that attraction.

There are also the normal service trams all around and through Melbourne, with lots of street running. Within the free travel zone in the city, there are the city circle trams which are all W class trams, so historic in their own right.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

In that case some recommendations for local craft beer.

Brisbane - Newstead, Green Beacon, Range, Sea Legs, Ballistic, BrewDog, Brisbane Brewing Co, Catchment, Helios, Slipstream, Aether

Gold Coast - Burleigh, Black Hops

Byron Bay - Byron Bay Brewery

Newcastle - FogHorn

Sydney - Young Henrys, Wayward, 4 Pines, Lord Nelson

Melbourne - Urban Alley (Docklands - get there on the free City Circle tram), Hop Nation, Two Birds, Moon Dog, Stomping Ground, Fixation, Mountain Goat

Geelong - White Rabbit

Adelaide - Pirate Life, Bowden, Kick Back, Gulf (Hahndorf - a very German influenced town which is worth a visit anyway)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

In that case some recommendations for local craft beer.

Brisbane - Newstead, Green Beacon, Range, Sea Legs, Ballistic, BrewDog, Brisbane Brewing Co, Catchment, Helios, Slipstream, Aether

Gold Coast - Burleigh, Black Hops

Byron Bay - Byron Bay Brewery

Newcastle - FogHorn

Sydney - Young Henrys, Wayward, 4 Pines, Lord Nelson

Melbourne - Urban Alley (Docklands - get there on the free City Circle tram), Hop Nation, Two Birds, Moon Dog, Stomping Ground, Fixation, Mountain Goat

Geelong - White Rabbit

Adelaide - Pirate Life, Bowden, Kick Back, Gulf (Hahndorf - a very German influenced town which is worth a visit anyway)

Can definitely recommend Pirates Life and The Big Shed Brewery(American Pale Ale)and it's close to the Railway Museum.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Me to a tee......him, not her, brave lady!😇

Note to John..........Always carry Barbecue tongs and a broom when in Oz😃but you've been here before so I suspect you already have them in your suitcase😃.

Hope you have a great time.

Mike

Grant Denyer's wife Chezzi is praised for taking on a venomous brown snake as she goes into 'fierce mumma mode' to protect her young daughters

The wife of TV personality Grant Denyer has been praised for her fearless reaction to finding a deadly brown snake in her family's backyard.

The eastern brown snake is highly venomous and is responsible for about 60 per cent of human snake-bite deaths in Australia.

Grant posted a video on Instagram on Monday of his wife Chezzi shooing away the reptile with a pair of barbecue tongs while he and their three daughters, Sailor, Scout and Sunday, took shelter inside the house.

Grant Denyer's brave wife Chezzi scares off a snake

Chezzi Denyer, the wife of TV personality Grant Denyer, has been praised for her fearless reaction to finding a deadly brown snake in her family's backyard. She shooed the reptile away with a pair of barbecue tongs (circled) after it approached the family dog

The footage shows a quick-thinking Chezzi grabbing a broom and tongs then confronting the snake, which was getting uncomfortably close to the family dog, outside their back door

'When Mr Brown comes to visit, trust the chick who had snakes as a kid to take care of it,' a proud Grant captioned the footage on Instagram.

In the video, Grant could be heard in the background shouting, 'Do you see it, Chez? It’s coming for the stairs.' 

Grant (left) posted a video on Instagram on Monday of Chezzi (right) dealing with the snake while he and their three daughters, Sailor, Scout and Sunday, took shelter inside the house 

'Just a mum trying to cook dinner on time when the kids spot a big snake coming for the dog,' Chezzi replied calmly.

The snake eventually retreated to the paddock and Chezzi then returned inside to serve dinner for her family.

The Denyers' famous friends praised the mum of three for her reaction to the snake. 

In the video, Grant could be heard in the background shouting, 'Do you see it, Chez? It’s coming for the stairs' 

The snake eventually retreated to the paddock and Chezzi returned inside to serve dinner for her family 

The Morning Show host Larry Emdur commented: 'Bro, firstly I love it how you scream for Chezzi (what a brave husband and protective father you are).' 

'Mum is so brave… I love you, mum!' added Lisa Wilkinson.

Edited by ikks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There aint no a in Woollomooloo!

But there is Harrys Cafe De Wheels for a pie floater afterwards.

image.png.9e40678a0462d9aaeb0e74dfb08602bd.png

image.png.2199b39991467b3ba2503e25e99522fe.png

Great pies everywhere, never had a bad one, even the mass produced ones from service stations have been good. But probably the best I had was in at Merriwa Cakes & Pastries. Shortcrust base with a flaky top. Huge chunks of tender steak and big lumps of kidney. Dinky DI Dogs Eyes pies at the Kakkadoo Café in Dunedoo were also in my top 5. Soull Café in Broken Hill did a lovely chicken & leek, but that's just a little off your route.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1