The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

For those eagerly awaiting the result the burnout competition was won by Jake Myers for the second time, in his retro Mustang.

Rick Fuller (winner of both Masters and Championship at 'Nats 33) came second in his new ride FULLONX, ahead of Michael Pratten in SPASTIC.

"I'm so stoked! Thanks to Mum, Dad, Amy and everyone who helped get the car ready for Summernats," said Jake.

Summernats 35 was a big event for the Myers clan. Not only did they debut the Mustang's old-school look, but Jake's dad Gary was inducted into the John Peterson Burnout Hall of Fame, kicking off the event with an impressive skid prior to the start of the Last Chance Wildcard Shootout!

Here is the winning performance, not sure how the judging gets managed when it's just one huge smoke cloud but he didn't catch fire and he didn't have any rear tyres left so that's a help.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

At the end of this month my wife and I will be travelling to Australia. Our itinerary comprises a coastal tour Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide; one day driving, two days rest, over five weeks.

Whilst railways are not the prime purpose this time, it would be nice to know of any railway attractions on, or near to, our coastal route.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Byron Bay railway, Sydney Tram Museum, Junee Roundhouse. Although the latter is a little inland, but if you plan on visiting Canberra, not too far.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Byron Bay. I did the meal package back in November, but park up in Byron Bay for it.

Sydney Tramway Museum.

Junee Roundhouse

8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Thanks,

John.

NSW has a fabulous coast. Several places where you can see whales. I spent a good couple of hours watching them from Pacific Drive, Bermagui in October 2018. And if you like seafood, you'll be in heaven.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Brisbane is home. It's obligatory for tourists, and you will have to fight off the selfie crowd, but you can be photographed with koalas (I'm not sure if you can hold them anymore) at Lone Pine.

Ride the ferries for great views of Brisbane from the river.

Around Brisbane the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are very touristy. On the way to the Sunshine Coast you will find the late Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo set in the Glasshouse Mountains. The best view of them is from the road* to Maleny, which is in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, a nice place with great views to the coast.

* McCarthy's Lookout.

Depending on how 'outdoorsy' you feel, there is much to do in the so-called "hinterland" of the Gold Coast (the remains of the slopes that form the caldera of the ancient Mt Warning volcano complex). 

Purlingbrook Falls are (I think) the largest but there are many falls and hikes in Springbrook National Park on the Springbrook plateau.

Fingal Head (NSW) is a nice little spot with an old lighthouse - quite off the highway just south of Tweed Heads.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

About an hour south and slightly west of Sydney is the NSW rail museum, has a worthwhile collection of both  restored and weathered stock and locos including a bloody big Garrett.

https://www.nswrailmuseum.com.au/about

It used to be all in one big old shed you could wander at will around in and run by oil stained volunteers but a few years ago got a makeover and corporate look, I havent been since then  so hopefully it hasnt become too Thomas-ised for the kiddies. 

On the NSW north Coast theres the controversial Dorrigo collection - the worlds largest gathering up of railway stuff, on private property but you can see it from the road, gaze  and wonder at one mans obsession and selfishness, or grand vision depending on your viewpoint.

image.png.878f4f22bf557e8fe8939eeb3c455cbb.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Brisbane is home. It's obligatory for tourists, and you will have to fight off the selfie crowd, but you can be photographed with koalas (I'm not sure if you can hold them anymore) at Lone Pine.

Around Brisbane the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are very touristy. On the way to the Sunshine Coast you will find the late Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo set in the Glasshouse Mountains. The best view of them is from the road* to Maleny, which is in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, a nice place with great views to the coast.

* McCarthy's Lookout.

Depending on how 'outdoorsy' you feel, there is much to do in the so-called "hinterland" of the Gold Coast (the remains of the slopes that form the caldera of the ancient Mt Warning volcano complex). 

Purlingbrook Falls are (I think) the largest but there are many falls and hikes in Springbrook National Park on the Springbrook plateau.

Fingal Head (NSW) is a nice little spot with an old lighthouse - quite off the highway just south of Tweed Heads.

Also, about 40 minutes west of Brisbane is the town of Ipswich. I was standing by the side of the road near there once and someone threw a bottle at me.

Not recommended.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, JZ said:

NSW has a fabulous coast. Several places where you can see whales. I spent a good couple of hours watching them from Pacific Drive, Bermagui in October 2018. And if you like seafood, you'll be in heaven.

The scenery south of Sydneys Royal National Park down to Berry is some of the prettiest you'll see anywhere. Ignoring the steel works at Port Kembla. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also, about 40 minutes west of Brisbane is the town of Ipswich

I'd give Ipswich a swerve, though the Queensland Railway Museum* is on the way to Ipswich (technically it is in Ipswich but not in 'town').

* The Workshops Rail Museum  I've never been there in it's current form so I can't either recommend it or not. It tries to cater to "the family day out" so it's not like British preservation. The preservation fleet of steam locomotives was there at one point, but I don't think they are there now. The museum has a collection of non-runners on static display.

One of my schoolmates worked there as an apprentice pipe fitter back when it was still the workshops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

the controversial Dorrigo collection - the worlds largest gathering up of railway stuff, on private property but you can see it from the road, gaze  and wonder at one mans obsession and selfishness, or grand vision depending on your viewpoint.

Akin in some respects to Dai Woodham's Barry scrapyard.  Except that the owner of all that stuff hasn't planned on wielding the cutter's torch but if nothing is done it will all rot away anyway.  

The D-word is a prohibited topic, such are the passions it arouses and foam produced, in some online discussion sites notably Railpage Australia.

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also, about 40 minutes west of Brisbane is the town of Ipswich. I was standing by the side of the road near there once and someone threw a bottle at me.

Why go all the way to Ipswich?  I had exactly that happen not a kilometre from my front door in outer Melbourne.  At least it was an empty bottle. I strongly suspected the thrower to have consumed the contents (of that and others) first.  

42 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are very touristy

The Gold Coast now has a tramway linking major destinations through what is an artificially-joined series of towns now collectively known as Gold Coast City.  The Sunshine Coast is home to my good friend late of the Palace of Attendance in Melbourne, her recently-acquired hubby and even more recently-produced baby.  I therefore see a near-daily display of sandy baby photos!  Mostly without the tourists.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* The Workshops Rail Museum  I've never been there in it's current form so I can't either recommend it or not. It tries to cater to "the family day out" so it's not like British preservation. The preservation fleet of steam locomotives was there at one point, but I don't think they are there now. The museum has a collection of non-runners on static display.

Very much like the National Railway Museum at York back in Blighty.  Acknowledging the fact that they do have some "runners" though those are often out working for their living and not at York at all.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* McCarthy's Lookout.

We know Queensland well - our daughter lived in Brisbane for several years. During that time, we travelled Brisbane - Cairns, Queenslander Class on the Sunlander. From there by minibus to Croydon, then on to Normanton as the only passengers on the Gulflander. Visited Karumba on the NQD coast, (hot, humid); then flew back to Cairns and Brisbane. Later on the same trip, we travelled on the Valley Rattler, having visited the Australia Zoo on the way.

This time we are heading South and West, to complete our circumnavigation of Oz; (except for the Nullabor and the tropical north); we drove the West coast on our last visit.

Looking forward to it!

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Expect to be pulled over for random breath tests. I was twice in my first week on the road and saw. Generally they are friendly and after giving a test are usually helpful at giving tips on local points of interest. In my experience anyway. Loads of roadworks south of Sydney in November, some were quite long stretches involving up to half hour wait. Don't be tempted to go over the speed limit in roadworks, or anywhere else for that matter, fines are hefty and banded for 10, 20. 30kph. Even on seemingly empty roads you can be caught. Police cars are fitted with radar and will know you were going too fast before you even see them. Reduced speed limits near schools during displayed hours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not recommended.

Ipswich Railway Museum is great - visited a few years back when daughter lived near Brisbane.

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

And if you are spending any time in Sydney, get an Opal card. Covers trains, light rail, busses and ferries. I went north to Newcastle, south to Kiama, visit the small blowhole, rather than the big one nearer town, and inland to Katoomba, Blue Mountains. I think it covers all the way to Orange.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JZ said:

And if you are spending any time in Sydney, get an Opal card. Covers trains, light rail, busses and ferries. I went north to Newcastle, south to Kiama, visit the small blowhole, rather than the big one nearer town, and inland to Katoomba, Blue Mountains. I think it covers all the way to Orange.

Katoomba is a two night stopover - on a Blue Mountains side trip from Sydney.

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JZ said:

Expect to be pulled over for random breath tests. I was twice in my first week on the road and saw. Generally they are friendly and after giving a test are usually helpful at giving tips on local points of interest. In my experience anyway. Loads of roadworks south of Sydney in November, some were quite long stretches involving up to half hour wait. Don't be tempted to go over the speed limit in roadworks, or anywhere else for that matter, fines are hefty and banded for 10, 20. 30kph. Even on seemingly empty roads you can be caught. Police cars are fitted with radar and will know you were going too fast before you even see them. Reduced speed limits near schools during displayed hours.

Random breath tests  - a good idea in my opinion and I could wish they were lawful in the UK.  An offence has to be suspected first before they can stop and test you here.  Worth noting that the "Booze Bus" locations are carefully chosen in many cases to be "just around the corner" so you can't see them too far in advance and have no choice but to go through the check point.  They also have a spotter ready to chase you down should you pull a stunt like reversing away or a sudden U-turn.  

Speeding is as much a national obsession in Oz as elsewhere.  Fines are broadly in line with other nations as are the demerit points.  40kmh is the limit past any emergency vehicle stopped with its blues / reds flashing no matter what the road speed limit is; that gives rise to some anomalies where a 100 or 110kmh freeway (or even the unrestricted "open road" sections through the outback) suddenly become 40 without too much advance warning.  That in turn causes its share of nose-to-tail bumps because of the sudden reduction in speed required.  

Radar is good at ground level but beware the cops also have eyes in the sky.  Some roads have signs warning of "aerial speed detection" by which they don't mean the speed of aircraft is being checked!  Drones, light aircraft and even comms-tower mounted cameras are used to detect speed in ways you can't usually see.  But behave sensibly and all should be well.  I was once on a very empty Henty Highway without another vehicle in sight and had allowed my speed to drift up to 108 against the 100 limit.  Over a slight crest I saw the speed trap a good couple of kms ahead but rather than brake sharply I allowed speed to drift down steadily to the 100 mark and was waved past with a nod.  There is also a tolerance to allow for speedometer accuracy though what that is, officially, seems to vary by police force and possibly by local circumstances.  

I've heard it said quite often that they allow you 10% leeway but have also known motorists booked for less than that.  Freeway cameras are notorious; they are safety features but also revenue-raisers and can be set for exactly 100kmh if the road operator so chooses. I have definitely passed several at 102 - 105kmh whilst "going with the flow" and nothing ever happened.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Mostly without the tourists.  

This is a strange phenomena at the moment. I assume its linked to the Chinese ban on travel at the moment, but it sure makes teh place seem pretty empty. I was watching some videos by a UK couple youtubing their Oz holiday , (cant pick the accent Welsh, Irish, something...)  and their Bondi video and Blue Mountains ones are both weirdly devoid of crowds, even they note it. (I also like the way they complain about how cold the water in Australia is!). Other than before 7 in the morning Ive never seen Bondi as empty as shown here, and this is in teh middle of a Sydney summers day, just before Xmas!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, JZ said:

And if you are spending any time in Sydney, get an Opal card

Ditto for the State of Victoria.  Not just Melbourne but for the regional cities of Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and out to Traralgon you will need a Myki card (My-Key; intended as a "cool" way of saying it's my key to public transport) which works the same way as Sydney's Opal card and most other public transport payment cards.  There's a new lower daily cap coming in March of $9.20 as well making what have always been cheap fares (though none of the locals think so) even cheaper.  

I once had someone trying and re-trying to use their Opal card at the Melbourne train gates.  "Why won't it work?  Isn't this still in Zone 1?" was the frustrated question.  "This is Zone 1 Melbourne sir; your card is for Zone 1 Sydney a mere 900 kilometres up the road".  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The 100 or even 110 speed limit is quite a challenge on many roads, given the number of potholes. One eye on the road ahead and one on the road in front. If you see a car coming towards you and it's weaving all over the road, it's a good sign of potholes ahead. I will never complain about potholes in British roads again.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Katoomba is a two night stopover - on a Blue Mountains side trip from Sydney.

John Isherwood.

In that case.....

https://www.valleyheightsrailmuseum.info/

Theres also teh ZigZag at Lithgow, not sure what state the track is in after fire and floods but the scenery is spectacular.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Radar is good at ground level but beware the cops also have eyes in the sky.  Some roads have signs warning of "aerial speed detection" by which they don't mean the speed of aircraft is being checked!  Drones, light aircraft and even comms-tower mounted cameras are used to detect speed in ways you can't usually see.  But behave sensibly and all should be well

Back when the Muppets was universally watched many of the warning signs had "Pigs In Space" spray painted over them.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

In that case.....

https://www.valleyheightsrailmuseum.info/

Theres also teh ZigZag at Lithgow, not sure what state the track is in after fire and floods but the scenery is spectacular.

ZZR is not yet operating having suffered multiple severe bush fires and floods.  They also lost a lot of rolling stock in the last fire.  But they are slowly working towards restoring some service.  You can walk around the area using Bells Line of Road and bush trails.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2