The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SRman said:

Why come all the way to Australia to go to an Irish pub? It's a bit like me going all the way from Melbourne to Copenhagen (zoo) to see these!  🤣

20220817_180216.jpg.f502b24a627df91f29f6d9d6a6ceee7f.jpg

NSW Beer?

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Unlike certain products of the Mexican State. 

There are outstanding Mexi-lagers - and industrial swill, just like everywhere. People (including me) love "Belgian beer" but they're not talking about Stella Artois when they talk about "Belgian beer". (In the US, Stella is brewed by the AB-InBev brewery in St. Louis, MO, aka Anheuser-Busch / Budweiser.)

In terms of volume Mexi-lager producers I am partial to Bohemia (originally from Monterrey, and now part of the Heineken empire).

Quality Anejo Tequilas are truly outstanding.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, SRman said:

Why come all the way to Australia to go to an Irish pub? It's a bit like me going all the way from Melbourne to Copenhagen (zoo) to see these!  🤣

As I said, less like an Irish pub I cannot imagine. But, Irish pubs usually have decent craft beers (not only Guiness) and not that horrible bland stuff sold all over the continent. 

And my one trip to Copenhagen I found such good micro brewery pubs that the entire workshop followed my lead to them!

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Furphy's is all right.

Not bad, but really like Stone wood Pacific Ale. Visited the Cricketer's in Balmain and the London at lunchtime. The former was quiet, the latter busy. Had Reschs in the Cricketers'  Also came across a Cricketer's in Surrey Hills last night. A bit rough round the edges, it reminded me of the Adam & Eve in Clifton, Bristol some 30 odd years ago. Back to beer and James Squire Nine Tails is nice.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, JZ said:

James Squire Nine Tails is nice.

I went to a Squire's pub on the Sunshine Coast pre-pandemic. I had a taster of several of their beers. While their website (currently) insists they do use different hops each had a very consistent taste that made them taste very similar irrespective of the style.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

With two days left, having done pretty much all I set out to do here and what with the weather looking miserable tomorrow, I might just ride the trains. Head up to Hornsby, as I've only been as far as Milson's Point north of the bridge. Then return via the other route,

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to fear here, unless you are part of an attacking force!

Perhaps this belongs in a memorial thread, elsewhere?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-29/rats-of-tobruk-veteran-ernie-walker-dies-aged-106/101713400

There are still a number of survivors in Victoria.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

.....Normanton is one end of the famous railway line.

..... and a very nice railway and town they are, too!

My wife and I had the train from Croydon to Normanton entirely to ourselves - two passengers and three crew!

The Purple Pub was very welcoming, the beer was refreshingly cold, and they served an excellent meal.

Chris the Croc was impressive - even in concrete form!

Sunset down at the river was magnificent, and there was even a bustard, posing in the middle of the road, as we took photos.

John Isherwood.

• Like 8

On 27/11/2022 at 21:21, JZ said:

With two days left, having done pretty much all I set out to do here and what with the weather looking miserable tomorrow, I might just ride the trains. Head up to Hornsby, as I've only been as far as Milson's Point north of the bridge. Then return via the other route,

If you can afford the time, ride the train to Gosford. It will pass through Hornsby but then the scenery gets really spectacular.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

..... and a very nice railway and town they are, too!

My wife and I had the train from Croydon to Normanton entirely to ourselves - two passengers and three crew!

The Purple Pub was very welcoming, the beer was refreshingly cold, and they served an excellent meal.

Chris the Croc was impressive - even in concrete form!

Sunset down at the river was magnificent, and there was even a bustard, posing in the middle of the road, as we took photos.

John Isherwood.

As an addendum to the above : -

IMG_8827.JPG.4e9a566ff62009a53a84e584be865a42.JPG

IMG_8840.JPG.44604c1ca32d58ba15917c883a83a673.JPG

IMG_8861.JPG.e865cbaea636f671ec5ac2b14aa8d796.JPG

IMG_9034.JPG.1d81da1e70904fb867fff354865c0da9.JPG

IMG_9045.JPG.7d052db20e16e83ddf8aa28dbeb2e94d.JPG

IMG_9076.JPG.7c451371014e26bb3bce2f17a5f5575d.JPG

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SRman said:

If you can afford the time, ride the train to Gosford. It will pass through Hornsby but then the scenery gets really spectacular.

The ride to Lithgow is even more spectacular once you get past Emu Plains. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, SRman said:

Sadly, I'm at home now. But maybe next year.

• Like 2