The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2022 at 23:39, monkeysarefun said:

Woman rocks up with Golden Retreiver, ties it to the nearest  wheelchair and goes inside the chemist. Dog gets all frantic at being left alone, then  spots her  inside the chemist and  charges in,  dragging all the wheelchairs, crutches,  walking frames etc with  it. Kind of like stealing them in reverse I guess.

Not a Retriever but a similar outcome . Legend has it the chase is still ongoing.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Not a Retriever but a similar outcome . Legend has it the chase is still ongoing.

Stupid, tying the dog's lead to something so easily portable.

I tied my dog (Jamie, a Bearded Collie) to one of those large cast umbrella bases, while I went in the pizza shop to order my lunch and the guy, a large Italian, saw him outside and came out and said to him 'Hullo, how are you?' in a loud booming voice!

Since my dog is terrified of loud noises, he took off, dragging this umbrella base with him about 8 metres down the footpath, the scrapping noise made him worse!

It was hilarious and it wasn't, but I soon caught him and went back to the shop, along with the base. I explained to the guy that he's terrified of loud noises and he'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The closest that I will ever get to Australia:

https://www.kentuckydownunder.com/

Looking at a map, I reckon Long Beach California would be closer. (Ignoring American Samoa). 

Seriously though, Lorikeets will squirt you from a couple of metres away and you'll never get the stain out! (but they aren't too venomous at least).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Welcome to Australia.

Three Tail's beer was served at a perfect temperature on the two occasions I visited and today I did two brewpubs in Katoomba and the Station Bar and the beers were served at sensible temperatures and by handpump in the last one. Also the great thing here is the schooner. It lets you have a few beers, but  not the quantity. I think it's a nice size for a beer.

Anyway, a short walk to Chinatown for food tonight.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, JZ said:

If you get a chance, have some Emperor's Puffs from the Emperor's Puff bakery,  a hole in the wall, 75 Dixon Steet. Hot cream  puffs filled with custard, they are on my top 5 things I've ever eaten list.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Looking at a map, I reckon Long Beach California would be closer. (Ignoring American Samoa). ...snip...

I have actually been much closer to Australia, but many years ago on a cruise with the Gray Funnel Line; Philippines, Hong Kong. Tonkin Gulf. 🙀 And we almost went to Singapore but for "political" reasons we did not.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5

Day trip to Kiama today. I visited four years ago, but didn't spend a lot of time there. today I had around 3 hours. Beautiful town and a superb chilli pie from the pie shop near the station. Tonight it's off to the street market in Chinatown, about 10 minutes or so walk from here.

One of the things I plan to do when I get home, is to build a small diorama, based in the outback. I have a pub kit and a couple of shops. Also picked up a couple of Road Ragers HO Aussie cars. What I would like is a ute. Going for an early 1960s and chatting to the owner of Casula Hobbies, at the moment the only options are Oxford's Dodge Sweptside and B1 pick ups. I would also like one with a flatbed, but when did that style start being popular?(see pic below) I did see an old Morris 1000 with this style, but don't know if this was a more modern conversion. I also have a Casula cattle van kit, so will be adding a siding and station building, probably the Dapol/Airfix one, with Tichy windows and doors, tin roof and paint it up in the style of the one at Nyngan.

20221113_115424.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, JZ said:

would also like one with a flatbed, but when did that style start being popular

From purely personal observation I don't recall seeing any one tonners (as they are called here) prior to the  HQ - HZ series Holden so that'd be from  1971, not sure about Ford's or Chrysler's, but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing like that in Ford before the EA Falcon, maybe even not until the F series?

I have started a bit of a project 3D modelling Aussie cars in SketchUp for 3D printing in N, HO and OO. I am working with a guy who has a full colour 3D printer and it's a work in progress at the moment, I've had a few test prints in N and the finish is a bit rougher than my resin printers but the colour is pretty good except that there is some bleed through from the interior. Currently I am redoing them in Blender as solid meshes to fix that issue  and so far have a HQ 4 door Monaro, 2 Door XB hardtop and an HR sedan pretty well complete.

I'm hoping to do quite a variety of Aussie cars, sedans, and eventually wagons utes and panel Van versions depending on blueprint availability, from the early Falcon and FX series Holden's, mid 60s Valiants  through to probably mid 80s Commodores and X series Ford's.

I'll post some pics up of some work  when I'm home with my laptop.

• Like 5

On 24/11/2022 at 09:09, monkeysarefun said:

If you get a chance, have some Emperor's Puffs from the Emperor's Puff bakery,  a hole in the wall, 75 Dixon Steet. Hot cream  puffs filled with custard, they are on my top 5 things I've ever eaten list.

Found them. Very popular. About 15-20 in the queue when I joined and similar number after I was served. Just one girl serving, but churning them out quickly.

316967847_10162581779844012_8387376906037968253_n.jpg.18db24f010fba839043e7578e975480b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

On 24/11/2022 at 06:50, JZ said:

Three Tail's beer was served at a perfect temperature on the two occasions I visited and today I did two brewpubs in Katoomba and the Station Bar and the beers were served at sensible temperatures and by handpump in the last one. Also the great thing here is the schooner. It lets you have a few beers, but  not the quantity. I think it's a nice size for a beer.

I'll be staying in Katoomba a little before Christmas. Just hoping the Harp and Fiddle is as good as it was back in 2014 when we were last there. 

The review I wrote on Tripadvisor at the time 

This is a great pub. The "Irish pub" theme is very secondary to it just being a really nice pub to hang out in and one that has the feel of being there for a century. I like pubs with lots of natural light, high ceilings, comfortable sofas to lounge. So the initial look of the place was very welcoming. On entering a late 60s classic rock was playing, and this continued through each of the times we visited; Hendrix, Purple, Page, Zeppelin, Dylan,Doors etc. The beer was also of high quality, a couple of different ones chosen after a sampler.

We only ate here once, but the lunchtime deal of AUS20 dollars for any of the mains plus a pint was a generous offer when the steak and beer pie was taken. My wife had a very well prepared Greek salad for less than AUS10.

OK, there are pokies hidden away at the back - not something a Brit is used to, but the loo was quite unexpected, large, modern, clean marble surfaces. It would suit an expensive central city night club.

Oh if only this was in York, it would be my local. We discussed which of our favourite local pub bands would play best in here - I think Dufflegoat won!

I am concerned it may be closed down!

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I'll be staying in Katoomba a little before Christmas. Just hoping the Harp and Fiddle is as good as it was back in 2014 when we were last there. 

This is a great pub. The "Irish pub" theme is very secondary to it just being a really nice pub to hang out in and one that has the feel of being there for a century. I like pubs with lots of natural light, high ceilings, comfortable sofas to lounge. So the initial look of the place was very welcoming. On entering a late 60s classic rock was playing, and this continued through each of the times we visited; Hendrix, Purple, Page, Zeppelin, Dylan,Doors etc. The beer was also of high quality, a couple of different ones chosen after a sampler.

We only ate here once, but the lunchtime deal of AUS20 dollars for any of the mains plus a pint was a generous offer when the steak and beer pie was taken. My wife had a very well prepared Greek salad for less than AUS10.

OK, there are pokies hidden away at the back - not something a Brit is used to, but the loo was quite unexpected, large, modern, clean marble surfaces. It would suit an expensive central city night club.

Oh if only this was in York, it would be my local. We discussed which of our favourite local pub bands would play best in here - I think Dufflegoat won!

Paul

According to t'internet, temporarily closed for refurbishment! 😭

Hopefully, it will reopen before we visit in February.

CJI.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Paul

I tend to steer clear of "Irish" pubs, the only one I have been to was in Thorshavn. But next door to Harp and Fiddle is the Bootlegger Bar with local beers and around the corner is Mountain Culture Brewing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, JZ said:

I tend to steer clear of "Irish" pubs, the only one I have been to was in Thorshavn. But next door to Harp and Fiddle is the Bootlegger Bar with local beers and around the corner is Mountain Culture Brewing.

Thanks, looks like it is closed. 

Apart from the title less like an Irish pub than I have ever been in! And I'll admit I've probably been in only one pub in Ireland (a famous one in Belfast which was very enclosed - not my idea of a pub, I don't like small rooms etc). Both English pubs I've known similar to the H and F have closed, Brigantes in York at the beginning of Covid. But we've had our lament on here over that. 

Yes, I'll try the neighbours. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A few minutes up the road from Katoomba at Blackheath, the Gardner's Inn Hotel is worth checking out. By Australian standards  it's pretty ancient, being licensed since the 1830s, making it the oldest hotel in the mountains.

If you venture a bit further through Mt Victoria and head west down the escarpment Hartley Vale from memory has an old pub.

This whole area is steeped in convict era history, the road down the mountain is still using the original convict built stone embankments for instance.

image.png.ae1c194f961f854963af9e93dc669e59.png

image.png.26fee029e46c6cd1d636ddf46034a048.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3D car models:

This is an N gauge HQ Monaro printed on a colour 3D printer. I was surprised how small N gauge stuff is! It was modelled with full interior detailing which is the reason for the discoloration as the interior colours are bleeding through the thin walls. I'm not happy with the surface quality at all, its very grainy. They have other materials so I'm going to remodel it a a solid model (no interior) in Blender  and try again with them.

If they still look shirty then Plan B for N and HO would be to 3D print them myself on my Elegoo Saturn printer in clear resin so the body colour etc can be painted on, leaving the clear for the windows. Wheels bumpers etc would be printed separately in grey resin for painting before attaching to painted body.

A work in progress.

image.png.f7812e49d4ca944d2cdbe4c3080ce320.png

image.png.feba6db5cdd38196f6296be1a476489f.png

Here is the slicer image from the colour 3D slicer - I was hoping for a better finish than they ended up with because it was a simple matter to bring up a pic of an original car and eye-dropper the colour onto the model, meaning I could print them out in any original colour. The lighter ones behind are plain Jane Kingswood SL versions, different wheels, different grill  lack of quarter vent gills etc..

473565407_Screenshot(456).png.8deedbe0a385af86836e3e6068ba8015.png

Here is a render of the  Sketchup  model, as you can see its got interior detailing which has proved problematical in small scales so I'm doing it over again in Blender, with a much simplified interior!

b.jpg.ba0e5f52302be8616e7e276cca7ba48e.jpg

Ford XB GT Hardtop in Sketchup, lots of unnescessary interior - I wont waste my time in there again...

270845832_FordinSketchup.png.2b3295ca92f13eb8f19ce9d3152644fe.png

HR Holden modelled in Blender as a solid mesh, I'll  redo the others in this and use it for all other models.

1450717433_Screenshot(523).png.bb27fc2845baff9260d991499c432505.png

The Rendered models in a rendered world - outside Mudgee  Station. This was done in Sketchup (Best thing I've found for architectural models, less so for cars!) and rendered with VRay. 

The building is 3D printable - one day when I get a roundtoit.

908497156_Screenshot(408).png.edc0b6d5b777d57fd23d4bafa41892a9.png

88600523_Screenshot(411).png.b7dbfa5e8398f608b17cd06c047e7856.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 3

Back a little nearer to topic, if such a place exists.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/boy-5-bitten-by-python-and-dragged-into-pool-in-byron-bay-20221125-p5c1ah.html

ouch,nasty!

A new twist on beware the red-back under the dunny seat scare. Byron Bay used to be a cool place to be but this is not the first newsworthy item there this year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JZ said:

Why come all the way to Australia to go to an Irish pub? It's a bit like me going all the way from Melbourne to Copenhagen (zoo) to see these!  🤣

20220817_180216.jpg.f502b24a627df91f29f6d9d6a6ceee7f.jpg

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2