The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Here's another Helen Dale video this time from the boys at Triggernometry where Helen explains our democracy sausage among other things.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Just found this strangely engaging enough that I watched it twice, in a kind of Wake In Fright meets Countrywide kind of way.

From the time when shirts were optional workwear and almost every car was a Holden, and might at least give you some ideas of what line to model if your baseboard is one foot wide but 500 feet long.

The Nullabor was the subject of an April Fool layout in the Railway Modeller, many years ago. From memory they had a fleet of Land Rovers to carry the modules.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Here's another one of Helen dale giving her thoughts on the people coming across the channel and Britain's inability to stop them and why that's so.

TL, DR. Asking for solutions to migration is literally missing the point of why it is happening in the first place. Decades of f**cked up foreign policy.

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Classsix T said:

TL, DR. Asking for solutions to migration is literally missing the point of why it is happening in the first place. Decades of f**cked up foreign policy.

C6T.

Yes but your foreign policy was decided in Brussels not the house of commons. This is the first time in fifty years that a British government has had to make a foreign policy of it's own. One of the problems of being within the EU for so long is that (according to Helen) Britain took it's eye off the commonwealth and there are a number of successful countries within the commonwealth who are doing much better than Britain. Successful economies with good health systems, highly productive economies with good immigration systems in place. By ignoring the commonwealth the former coloniser has fallen quite a way behind the countries it colonised. Law and order applies to everyone in Australia regardless of their colour or religious background. Australian authorities aren't afraid of being called racist by minorities because they ignore their racist rhetoric. In Britain the authorities run scared of being called racist by vocal minorities and that's due to low state capacity or the job of the governments to project power over their people. 

1 hour ago, faulcon1 said:

Yes but your foreign policy was decided in Brussels not the house of commons. This is the first time in fifty years that a British government has had to make a foreign policy of it's own. One of the problems of being within the EU for so long is that (according to Helen) Britain took it's eye off the commonwealth and there are a number of successful countries within the commonwealth who are doing much better than Britain. Successful economies with good health systems, highly productive economies with good immigration systems in place. By ignoring the commonwealth the former coloniser has fallen quite a way behind the countries it colonised. Law and order applies to everyone in Australia regardless of their colour or religious background. Australian authorities aren't afraid of being called racist by minorities because they ignore their racist rhetoric. In Britain the authorities run scared of being called racist by vocal minorities and that's due to low state capacity or the job of the governments to project power over their people. 

Dunno about all that bollox, but deliberately destabilising the Middle East through regime changing conflicts seemed like a stupid thing to do at the time to me, and thus people fleeing those States has a certain inevitable consequence. None of which had anything to do with the EU incidentally.

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What happens when Australian fauna is moved from its natural habitat.

CNN: Man's emu deterrent method has internet weighing in

Please excuse the "e-moo" pronunciation. I'm doing my best to convince people that's not how to pronounce it, but I'm only one in >300,000,000.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Here's a terrible disaster for Australia, building a lighthouse in the wrong location, thus causing a hazard to shipping, rather than assisting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_St_George_Lighthouse

"the contractor built the light 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of the intended site, as it was closer to the quarry he was obtaining the stone from." How Aussie is that!

Jervis Bay facts - Hyams beach has been reported as having the whitest sand in the world. Was a peaceful spot until a couple of  years ago when this fact was discovered by instagrammers and social media  who caused traffic and parking chaos for the locals by  going there to queue up with all the hundreds of  other instagrammers in order to take a photo of it.  To make all the disruptions even more  galling for the locals, turns out its not even the whitest sand in Australia, let alone the world, that was just "sh1t someone made up".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

Jervis Bay facts #2 - the Murrays Beach car park contains the concrete footings for a nuclear power station. Construction commenced in 1969 and was abandoned in 1971.

Jervis Bay facts #3 - Canberra was originally envisaged as an industrial city rather than just being the seat of government and Jervis Bay was to be its port. Charles Scrivener surveyed a railway route from Canberra to Jervis Bay in 1909. When I lived in Canberra I seriously considered a Commonwealth Railways themed layout based on this route.

nla.obj-233895610-1.jpg.8807fb8370d686ed77c7d3c053b3d8e2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Jervis Bay facts #2 - the Murrays Beach car park contains the concrete footings for a nuclear power station. Construction commenced in 1969 and was abandoned in 1971.

Jervis Bay facts #3 - Canberra was originally envisaged as an industrial city rather than just being the seat of government and Jervis Bay was to be its port. Charles Scrivener surveyed a railway route from Canberra to Jervis Bay in 1909. When I lived in Canberra I seriously considered a Commonwealth Railways themed layout based on this route.

nla.obj-233895610-1.jpg.8807fb8370d686ed77c7d3c053b3d8e2.jpg

Interesting. Having got that close, might they have built a branch from Bomaderry too?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Interesting. Having got that close, might they have built a branch from Bomaderry too?

The South Coast line was never supposed to stop at Bomaderry. It had been surveyed all the way to Eden in 1886 for the timber and dairy traffic. The 1890 legislation authorised construction as far as Nowra proper. It was the 1893 banking crash and subsequent depression (which was worse than the "Great Depression" 40 years later) that prevented it crossing the Shoalhaven River and Bomaderry became a "temporary" terminus. Had the Canberra-Jervis Bay line gone ahead, NSW would have continued building south in stages and met the Commonwealth line at Tomerong. The proposed location of Tomerong station was about here. But then WW1 got in the way and by the 1920s it was decided that Canberra wouldn't be industrial.

But there had been big plans for Jervis Bay, including a steelworks at Huskisson which would have needed coal. The Illawarra Coal Measures extend that far south. The easily accessible deposits and other natural resources were a factor in selecting the route.

nla.obj-233895610-1.jpg.7966223677e1b13386a173975fcb9577.jpg

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thomson Dam, is Australia's 3rd largest water supply dam for a major city and is about to go over the spillway for the first time since 1996. As I write it is 98.5% full and rose 1.4mm in the previous hour.

https://www.melbournewater.com.au/water-data-and-education/water-storage-levels/water-storage-reservoirs/Thomson

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Thomson Dam, is Australia's 3rd largest water supply dam for a major city and is about to go over the spillway for the first time since 1996. As I write it is 98.5% full and rose 1.4mm in the previous hour.

https://www.melbournewater.com.au/water-data-and-education/water-storage-levels/water-storage-reservoirs/Thomson

...and it's less than 10 years since a well-known scientist declared unequivocally that the dams would never again be full in our lifetimes.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Australian media tends to use " Number of Olympic Swimming Pools" to give an idea of how big something is, while UK readers may be more familiar with their medias "Height  of   Double Decker Buses" measuring scale. A handy conversion tool to use in stories like this is to remember is that "1 Olympic Swimming Pool" is equivalent to the height of  8.342333 "double decker buses". 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...and it's less than 10 years since a well-known scientist declared unequivocally that the dams would never again be full in our lifetimes.

I hope that you aren't suggesting that Climate Change is nonsense? Instability  of weather is the issue, examples being 'a weather event of once a century', then happens 3 times in 5 years, or similar.

As for Thomson Dam, before and after opening, some claimed it was the wrong side of a particular mountain range and so in a rain shadow and would never fill.

My point of posting, was to point out to UK readers, just how big Thomson Dam is. This shows just how big Melbourne's reserves have to be, to supply reliable water through years long droughts.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Australian media tends to use " Number of Olympic Swimming Pools" to give an idea of how big something is, while UK readers may be more familiar with their medias "Height  of   Double Decker Buses" measuring scale. A handy conversion tool to use in stories like this is to remember is that "1 Olympic Swimming Pool" is equivalent to the height of  8.342333 "double decker buses". 

Do they build swimming pools anywhere, the height/depth of 8.34233 double decker buses?

🙄

Its actually big enough to fill 427,200 Olympic swimming pools. Do your own calculations, as to how many double decker buses, this is the equivalent to fill, because the VOLUME is the important bit!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I hope that you aren't suggesting that Climate Change is nonsense? Instability  of weather is the issue, examples being 'a weather event of once a century', then happens 3 times in 5 years, or similar.

As for Thomson Dam, before and after opening, some claimed it was the wrong side of a particular mountain range and so in a rain shadow and would never fill.

My point of posting, was to point out to UK readers, just how big Thomson Dam is. This shows just how big Melbourne's reserves have to be, to supply reliable water through years long droughts.

I'm suggesting that some of the statements (on various topics) made by people that should know better are nonsense.

• Agree 3