The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Very interesting: re Centrelink and their attitude. Two years ago I asked about my eligibility for a UK pension and was advised that In as  much as I had not worked for eleven years in the UK there was no entitlement, so I left it there!!. I had in fact worked for nine and a half years there and my wife later saw in a newspaper article that there could be a pro-rata claim, so I went through all the formalities( I reached retirement age in 2011) and last week landed a payment of $37.5 K( back entitlement) plus another $4.8 K and and an ongoing $350 every four weeks. So never believe the BS these publics servants are advised to tell .you............could be more Deltics on the way😁😁.

Mike

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ikks said:

Very interesting: re Centrelink and their attitude. Two years ago I asked about my eligibility for a UK pension and was advised that In as  much as I had not worked for eleven years in the UK there was no entitlement, so I left it there!!. I had in fact worked for nine and a half years there and my wife later saw in a newspaper article that there could be a pro-rata claim, so I went through all the formalities( I reached retirement age in 2011) and last week landed a payment of $37.5 K( back entitlement) plus another $4.8 K and and an ongoing $350 every four weeks. So never believe the BS these publics servants are advised to tell .you............could be more Deltics on the way😁😁.

Mike

If Centrelink told me the date, I'd go and independently verify it!

But I do know that I'm not entitled to any UK pension, because I've never worked there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/05/2022 at 09:40, kevinlms said:

If Centrelink told me the date, I'd go and independently verify it!

But I do know that I'm not entitled to any UK pension, because I've never worked there!

Not sure what you mean there Kev, we just spoke about how long I'd worked over in the UK and the absolute "and that's it" was the answer, "there's no argument, full stop". Anyway we're over $40000 better off  thanks to SWMBO............so I really couldn't give a rats!!

Mike

• Like 3

I think Kevin is in a roundabout way agreeing with you that Centrelink couldn't find their own a-hole with both hands, but he is certainly not going to be getting the fortuitous payout you were entitled to despite CL's arrogance.

C6T 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mention of Kevin above had me scrolling up the page.  

For a moment I thought we might be talking about another good reason to fear coming to Australia namely K-Rudd 🤣

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I think Kevin is in a roundabout way agreeing with you that Centrelink couldn't find their own a-hole with both hands, but he is certainly not going to be getting the fortuitous payout you were entitled to despite CL's arrogance.

C6T 

Worth a try, but.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Mention of Kevin above had me scrolling up the page.  

For a moment I thought we might be talking about another good reason to fear coming to Australia namely K-Rudd 🤣

Agreed, Julia Gillard was much better!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

We've all seen many videos scaring the living daylights out of foreigners who look at the wildlife in Australia often with great trepidation. But to Brits what is probably more important is how Australian society works and something that's not often shown. Australia is NOT this little antipodean bit of empire at the bottom of the world. Australian society is a very unique society and very different from Britain and Helen Dale can explain it better than me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

We've all seen many videos scaring the living daylights out of foreigners who look at the wildlife in Australia often with great trepidation. But to Brits what is probably more important is how Australian society works and something that's not often shown. Australia is NOT this little antipodean bit of empire at the bottom of the world. Australian society is a very unique society and very different from Britain and Helen Dale can explain it better than me.

Helen Dale writes and talks a lot of sense, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If Brits really do fear coming to Australia then this bloke is fear itself or a sort of Frank Spencer Aussie style. In the 1990's on Australian TV there were a whole string of men showing the Aussie population the wonders of inland Australia and how one could survive in such a harsh environment. Russell Coight is a spoof on all those programs, a character played by the Aussie actor Glenn Robbins.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

51 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

From personal experience over the years, both Tiger snakes and Eastern Browns can climb up stairs!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2022 at 05:29, Classsix T said:

C6T 

Yes on reflection, I agree, no offence meant Kev.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A US senator has justified the need for AR15 style semi automatic rifles because there's racoons.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ken-buck-ar-rifles-chickens-raccoons_n_629a2531e4b0b1100a644842/amp

Meanwhile in Australia, we  need to make sure we've got access to bigger sticks.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A US senator has justified the need for AR15 style semi automatic rifles because there's racoons.

Not  senator but a member of the House of Representatives. Just as stupid a comment though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not  senator but a member of the House of Representatives. Just as stupid a comment though.

Sorry, its just that down here its the Senate where most of the loonies seem to  hang out! 

Shouldn't have just assumed its the same everywhere.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sorry, its just that down here its the Senate where most of the loonies seem to  hang out! 

We still don't know if Pauline Hanson has retained her Senate seat.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We have the house of Lords who are unelected so we can't chuck them out. Its not a coincidence that they together with lunatics and convicted criminals are not allowed to vote in general elections.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just found this strangely engaging enough that I watched it twice, in a kind of Wake In Fright meets Countrywide kind of way.

From the time when shirts were optional workwear and almost every car was a Holden, and might at least give you some ideas of what line to model if your baseboard is one foot wide but 500 feet long.

• Like 4