The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Depending who you talk to the Dorrigo collection is either a wonderful collection by someone who has the restoration and preservation of the items as the number one priority, and has only been prevented from giving the public access to it due to council regulations,  or a heap of selfish acquisitions by a hoarder who is letting them rust away rather than giving those who have the ability to preserve or restore them the chance to. 

https://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1890693.htm

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Depending who you talk to the Dorrigo collection is either a wonderful collection by someone who has the restoration and preservation of the items as the number one priority, and has only been prevented from giving the public access to it due to council regulations, 

https://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1890693.htm

Well he better get stated soon ,looks like several hundred years work and a team of hundreds ,with my first link I could only show the view from an accessible road ,so the stuff in the green area , if the area on the left in this view is also part of the collection then I think it's doomed to rust away .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dorrigo+NSW+2453,+Australia/@-30.3315109,152.7068316,472m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b9ea3a6726d9e15:0x40609b490439550!8m2!3d-30.3401443!4d152.7118631

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Well he better get stated soon ,looks like several hundred years work and a team of hundreds ,with my first link I could only show the view from an accessible road ,so the stuff in the green area , if the area on the left in this view is also part of the collection then I think it's doomed to rust away .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dorrigo+NSW+2453,+Australia/@-30.3315109,152.7068316,472m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b9ea3a6726d9e15:0x40609b490439550!8m2!3d-30.3401443!4d152.7118631

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

The owner isn't interested in restoring a thing, until he gets a roof over the entire collection. 

Since it's been going since 1973 and all the cash is spent on new acquisitions, its hard to see how such a roof is going to appear, before everything goes back to raw minerals.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Dorrigo

The dreaded D-word. So emotive that in some quarters its discussion is banned. Railpage being one such. 

Everything there is destined to rot away. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Fancy doing a bit of a pub crawl when I'm in Sydney. One I want to do is the MacQuarie Arms in Windsor, supposedly Australia's oldest pub. Starting point will be the Fortune of War on the Rocks. I'm ready for suggestions.

• Like 2

Hey mate, The Rocks/Circular Quay area has a few that you can be going on with  after the Fortune Of  War..  Theres the Hero Of Waterloo, and just up the road a bit is The Australia Hotel (Called now the Australia Heritage Hotel), if you are into  tasting the local wildlife you can get crocodiile, emu, kangaroo etc pizzas there.  Also in the Rocks are the Orient, Mercantile and  the Observer. All are pretty good places to spend some drinking time. 

If its oldstyle pubs (as opposed to glitzy bars or suburban drinking and gambling warehouses) that interest you then the inner city area of the Rocks, lower George Street, Circular Quay and round to Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel   would be the place to spend your time. 

The other drinking area would be the Balmain/Pyrmont area, ex wharfies suburbs that are getting taken over by high rise but still have some older corner pubs.  The London Hotel and Cricketers Arms are both worthwhile.   The other entertainment/drinking  area is Oxford St,  running from the city out to Paddington  -  has a heap of old pubs, though being the hub of Sydney gay culture  some are rather "flamboyant". 

.  Dont bother with Kings Cross. 

If you are coming in warmer weather any of the open air bars along Circular Quay and the walk towards the opera house are a great place to spend an afternoon,  and into the evening as ferries come and go, and fruit bats and screeching cockatoos and lorikeets arrive and depart from the Botanical gardens as the skies darken into night.  

Macquarie Arms is a good pub, food is great. It is a fair way out of the city though, and I'm not familiar with that side of Sydney other than Windsor and Richmond so Im not sure what else is in that direction where you can go while there. Some one here will help though.

If you need any other questions answered, just ask, someone will know.  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hey mate, The Rocks/Circular Quay area has a few that you can be going on with  after the Fortune Of  War..  Theres the Hero Of Waterloo, and just up the road a bit is The Australia Hotel (Called now the Australia Heritage Hotel), if you are into  tasting the local wildlife you can get crocodiile, emu, kangaroo etc pizzas there.  Also in the Rocks are the Orient, Mercantile and  the Observer. All are pretty good places to spend some drinking time. 

If its oldstyle pubs (as opposed to glitzy bars or suburban drinking and gambling warehouses) that interest you then the inner city area of the Rocks, lower George Street, Circular Quay and round to Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel   would be the place to spend your time. 

The other drinking area would be the Balmain/Pyrmont area, ex wharfies suburbs that are getting taken over by high rise but still have some older corner pubs.  The London Hotel and Cricketers Arms are both worthwhile.   The other entertainment/drinking  area is Oxford St,  running from the city out to Paddington  -  has a heap of old pubs, though being the hub of Sydney gay culture  some are rather "flamboyant". 

.  Dont bother with Kings Cross. 

If you are coming in warmer weather any of the open air bars along Circular Quay and the walk towards the opera house are a great place to spend an afternoon,  and into the evening as ferries come and go, and fruit bats and screeching cockatoos and lorikeets arrive and depart from the Botanical gardens as the skies darken into night.  

Macquarie Arms is a good pub, food is great. It is a fair way out of the city though, and I'm not familiar with that side of Sydney other than Windsor and Richmond so Im not sure what else is in that direction where you can go while there. Some one here will help though.

If you need any other questions answered, just ask, someone will know.  

Some great tips there. I will start looking them out later. The Australia was the first pub I went to in Sydney on my first night 3½ years ago. I'll be in Sydney the last week of October and the last in November, in between I have a campervan and intend to maybe get inland as far as Broken Hill and the SA border then back to the coast and visit a former workmate who now lives in Toowoomba.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JZ said:

I have a campervan and intend to maybe get inland as far as Broken Hill and the SA border

If you get that far make sure you get to the Mad Max 2 museum about 25km NW of Broken Hill at Silverton. Run by an expat  Brit and his wife , they'll  probably love the company!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking up those pubs on Street View.

I remember the Orient, but didn't visit as the architecture didn't grab me. Can't find the Observer, but the two you mentioned in Balmain fit the bill. Almost booked the Mercantile as my hotel, but the shared bathrooms put me off slightly. Now staying at the Criterion in the CBD. Close to to a station and they have agreed to let me have my room early if it's available, but I can leave my luggage there from 9am.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JZ said:

Looking up those pubs on Street View.

I remember the Orient, but didn't visit as the architecture didn't grab me. Can't find the Observer, but the two you mentioned in Balmain fit the bill. Almost booked the Mercantile as my hotel, but the shared bathrooms put me off slightly. Now staying at the Criterion in the CBD. Close to to a station and they have agreed to let me have my room early if it's available, but I can leave my luggage there from 9am.

The Criterion was my 'local' when I worked in Elizabeth Street in the city in the 90's, its very central and you've got the choice of Town Hall or St James stations depending on which direction you want to go. If you head south down Pitt Street to the next corner with Bathurst St the Edinburgh Castle is a pretty good place too.

I checked out the Observer Hotel, seems to have closed down.  I liberated a hanging fern from their beer garden on  NYE 1986, hope that wasnt the cause.

The Woolloomooloo Bay hotel can get lively, especially if a US ship is in. I almost got run over there by HRH Prince Phillip  during our Navy 75 birthday celebrations, cant blame him personally though -  he was sitting in the back. 

I havent been into the CBD  since before COVID so my info is I guess a bit outdated!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel last time, when I visited Harry's Café de Wheels, but limited time saw me miss it. Bell's Hotel over the road may be worth a visit?

On my last trip, I popped into the Hotel Steyne in Manly and because the till wasn't working, I had a free beer.

What about Surrey Hills and the area around Central station? I went to Keg & Brew in Foveaux St last time, great range of beers, but somewhat underwhelmed by the "British Bitter", 31 in the picture.

20181019_131723_resized.jpg.caa2deeea69880e9f8312ccbc616e5ef.jpg

On my last visit, I had 4 days in Sydney before going out on the road and another 2 before flying home. I did most things I had planned to do, but found loads more I wished to do if I ever got back there. So this time, with 14 days in all, I am planning thing better. I have a ticket to a T20 World Cup match at the SCG and arranged to be in the Fortune of War for the England v Australia match.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, JZ said:

What about Surrey Hills and the area around Central station?

Being a workers suburb Surry Hills used to have a pub on every corner, is now gentrified with terrace prices stating well over a mill, which usually means pubs get closed down. I know the live music venues of the 80's and 90's like the Hopetoun are gone, but I havent wandered around there in years so not sure what the state of the rest is.  The last one I went to was The Dolphin which was a bit trendy. 

The Bell at Woolloomoloo is still pretty "authentic" as in hasnt been gutted and mirror-tiled.

The other side of Central is Darling Harbour which has the Pumphouse brewery that Ive never been to, and I see there is also something called the Harajuku Gyoza Beer Stadium but have no idea what that is.

If youve got more time in Sydney and have the chance to go further afield there are historic pubs to the southwest. For instance there is the George IV at Picton, about an hours southwest down the freeway, which is another "oldest pub in NSW". Was flooded out and closed for ages in 2016 and came within  a bees whisker  of going under again in last months floods but I think its open and running.  From there its a 15  minute drive  to the NSW transport museum at Thirlmere  which is our main Railway museum. Further on south is the Southern Highlands with pubs such as the Surveyor General at Berrima, which is a historic sandstone village but probably not up to UK stone village standards! 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, JZ said:

On my last trip, I popped into the Hotel Steyne and because the till wasn't working, I had a free beer.

WT actual F!?

Forget the previous 111 pages of probably over stated "danger", free beer? My till mangler is packed!

C6T.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The other side of Central is Darling Harbour which has the Pumphouse brewery that Ive never been to, and I see there is also something called the Harajuku Gyoza Beer Stadium but have no idea what that is.

I found on my last trip that Darling Harbour prices were 40-60% higher than other bars in Sydney. Pretty sure I visited the Pumphouse, but found that their $12/schooner beer wasn't better than the $7 beer available in other parts of town. I found the area rather 'trendy' for my more down-to-earth taste.

I'm afraid the George IV in Picton is off the cards as I want to head north in general this time

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2022 at 06:28, monkeysarefun said:

Being a workers suburb Surry Hills used to have a pub on every corner, is now gentrified with terrace prices stating well over a mill, which usually means pubs get closed down. I know the live music venues of the 80's and 90's like the Hopetoun are gone, but I havent wandered around there in years so not sure what the state of the rest is.  The last one I went to was The Dolphin which was a bit trendy. 

The Bell at Woolloomoloo is still pretty "authentic" as in hasnt been gutted and mirror-tiled.

If youve got more time in Sydney and have the chance to go further afield there are historic pubs to the southwest. For instance there is the George IV at Picton, about an hours southwest down the freeway, which is another "oldest pub in NSW". Was flooded out and closed for ages in 2016 and came within  a bees whisker  of going under again in last months floods but I think its open and running.  From there its a 15  minute drive  to the NSW transport museum at Thirlmere  which is our main Railway museum. Further on south is the Southern Highlands with pubs such as the Surveyor General at Berrima, which is a historic sandstone village but probably not up to UK stone village standards! 

The Surveyor General is, of course, yet another of NSW's oldest pubs. None the worse for that though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So instead of capitalising on a potential destination for thrill seeking visitors, our nanny government puts the brakes on...

Leaked memo warns new Manly ferries risk becoming airborne in heavy swells

Captains of the new Manly ferries have been warned not to sail directly into waves near the entrance to Sydney Harbour in heavy swells in case their vessels become airborne, a leaked internal memo has revealed.

The advice was to masters of the second generation Emerald-class ferries, which are at the centre of a fierce debate over whether they can handle large swells as well as the larger Freshwater vessels they are designed to replace on the Manly-Circular Quay route.

image.png.61ebdee99b9f37e011667ab41627f789.png

The document by ferry operator Transdev warns masters that trials in early March showed that the new Emerald-class ferries became “airborne”, resulting in “tunnel slamming”, when the vessels sailed directly into waves or on a 45-degree angle to them at about 10 knots.

“This can be detrimental to the vessel’s integrity and the safety and comfort of the crew and passengers,” it states.

Tunnel slamming refers to water rising between the two hulls of the catamaran ferries, jolting the bridge deck which structurally joins the hulls together.

“Running ahead of the swell must be avoided, as this may cause ‘trapping’, which results in the vessel bow-diving or broaching, and a loss of control,” the memo warns.

The document – obtained by the Herald – advises masters that the safest and most comfortable course for passengers when crossing Sydney Heads is to have the swell directly on the beam of the Emerald-class ferries. The beam is the width of a vessel at its widest point.

Graeme Taylor, from community group Action for Public Transport, said the internal Transdev memo highlighted the fragility of the new Emerald-class ferries which had a “very jerky movement” and slammed into swells even in relatively mild conditions.

Mr Taylor said the government needed to acknowledge that the new ferries were unsuitable for the Manly route because they handled swells poorly, leading to cancelled services, and were too small for large crowds over summer.

“The best solution for these problems is to reinstate the four Freshwater-class ferries seven days a week and transfer the generation-two Emeralds to the Inner Harbour,” he said.

image.png.ba2c5d6bce47fd4009557baa66140dac.png

A Freshwater ferry endures large swells on the Manly route.

Labor transport spokeswoman Jo Haylen said it was clear that the Emerald-class ferries would continue to have difficulty handling heavy swells. “For many passengers on the Manly route, the replacement bus has taken the place of a regular and reliable ferry service,” she said.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... the second generation Emerald-class ferries

Sometimes new isn't better.

I'd pass on the excitement of bow-diving and loss of control.

It makes you wonder how long they would remain structurally sound (inevitably reminding me of the late John Clarke's "The front fell off").

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Crikey - just HOW big was that spider @ 02:50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a big one that's for sure.  They also come in large-hand-sized.  Ask me how I know.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/04/2022 at 01:03, Ozexpatriate said:

Sometimes new isn't better.

I'd pass on the excitement of bow-diving and loss of control.

It makes you wonder how long they would remain structurally sound (inevitably reminding me of the late John Clarke's "The front fell off").

The Freshwater Class were designed and built for the difficult Manly crossing.  It's lively on even the best of days taking the swell abeam and needing to turn into the channel as you enter or leave Manly.  Under certain conditions - which occur fairly regularly - it's a very choppy crossing indeed and not one to undertake just after breakfast!  

I have been aboard a few times when the bow was alternately in the air and below water.

I can't see how a lighter multi-hull could ever cope with that.  Newer isn't always better.  And it's a very long way round by bus if you have to go via Parramatta.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The Freshwater Class were designed and built for the difficult Manly crossing.  It's lively on even the best of days taking the swell abeam and needing to turn into the channel as you enter or leave Manly.  Under certain conditions - which occur fairly regularly - it's a very choppy crossing indeed and not one to undertake just after breakfast!  

I have been aboard a few times when the bow was alternately in the air and below water.

I can't see how a lighter multi-hull could ever cope with that.  Newer isn't always better.  And it's a very long way round by bus if you have to go via Parramatta.  

I did the Manly crossing in 2018. Dead calm that day. Will be doing it again this year..

• Like 3