The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

An uncle of mine had dealings with the late Eric Morecambe. He said that you had to accept that he was a perfectionist and a workaholic, prone to making great demands on his staff - but he was very self-aware, was never deliberately rude or offensive and took no offence at anyone unable or unwilling to meet his standards. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

A friend of ours was, for a time, Barry's dresser.  She toured with him which is what brought her, a West Australian woman, to the UK and brought her, SWMBO and myself together.  She had left his employment after a performance in, I think, Bath, having had far more than enough of "A grumpy, slimy and impossible old man" who she claimed made constant and unreasonable demands of those around him.  

He rented a unit in South Yarra for a short while which was owned by the parents of a girlfriend of mine, a fairly unpleasant individual by all accounts, Sue told me. Not sure why some people have to be that way. 

Mike

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

David Bowie lived in Sydney for a few years around his Tin Machine period in a harbourside apartment  in Elizabeth Bay. 

A family friend did the lawns around the place and was blown away that the friendliest and most accommodating resident there was the international rock star, all the other residents apparently were rich nobodies who wouldn't deign to talk to the garden staff but David Bowie was always bringing them drinks and at one point cakes that he'd baked.

Also got involved in Aboriginal land rights while here and took a personal interest in the welfare of the young indigenous actors who had appeared in the Let's Dance film clip a few years prior which was filmed in the outback and around Sydney.

After he died a radio show I happened to have on in the car had people ringing in with memories of him when he lived here, how he'd invite people round for tea, offer autograph hunters to sit down and have a coffee with him and so on, he told one he really embraced the Australian friendly laid back  life style (unlike his rich neighbours I guess). 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only times I watched were, ironically, when I was staying with my Mum in Leeds! She liked to watch it there. It was rather funny for me, because so many of the locations are local, and instantly recognisable. One episode took place in Forest Hill Chase shopping centre, which is our usual haunt, just 1 km away from home. Pin Oak Court is only a few kilometres away from where I live. The Nunawading Aquatic Centre also featured in an episode that I saw (in Leeds!).

No, I won't miss it either. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My wife used to be glued to it. In fact when we first went out together, I'd turn up at her place. If it was on, she wouldn't talk until it was over!

Maybe I should have taken the hint!

But she hasn't watched it for years, although I think I'd prefer Neighbours, to some of the stuff on Netflix she watches - at least it's Australian rubbish and not Yank fodder.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A reminder of what a nasty place Australia can be - weather wise. Also those that will do anything to keep their gambling habit operating. Heart breaking, with the worst possible outcome - the baby would be better dead.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/prison-term-for-mother-who-left-baby-in-hot-car-outside-pokies-venue-20220210-p59v9m.html

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

A reminder of what a nasty place Australia can be - weather wise. Also those that will do anything to keep their gambling habit operating. Heart breaking, with the worst possible outcome - the baby would be better dead.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/prison-term-for-mother-who-left-baby-in-hot-car-outside-pokies-venue-20220210-p59v9m.html

She should have gotten the full ten years with NO parole option! :angry:

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

A horrible way to go! I've been stung by about a dozen European Wasps and that was no fun.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/death-of-grandmother-swarmed-by-bees-could-have-been-prevented-coroner-20220222-p59yq7.html

Bees and wasps are entirely different species. A bee sting is alkaline whereas a wasp sting is acidic, that is why you should always establish what caused the sting before treatment. The nearest relation to wasps and hornets in the insect world is ants.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Bees and wasps are entirely different species. A bee sting is alkaline whereas a wasp sting is acidic, that is why you should always establish what caused the sting before treatment. The nearest relation to wasps and hornets in the insect world is ants.

Wasp stings are never left behind; bee stings often are.  

It is actually bee stings which are more acidic; wasp stings are technically neutral but closer to alkaline than bee stings.  https://www.buzzaboutbees.net/is-a-bee-sting-acidic-or-alkaline.html

The quick-fix to neutralise them is to remember "Bees - Bicarb; Wasps - Winegar" :D  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Wasp stings are never left behind; bee stings often are.  

It is actually bee stings which are more acidic; wasp stings are technically neutral but closer to alkaline than bee stings.  https://www.buzzaboutbees.net/is-a-bee-sting-acidic-or-alkaline.html

The quick-fix to neutralise them is to remember "Bees - Bicarb; Wasps - Winegar" :D  

I may have heard somewhere that some German folk will urinate on each other with nary a hint of the need of medical intervention against insect, plant or sea-life toxin..?

But what do I know. C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/02/2022 at 22:44, billbedford said:

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord

Ah, but the Lord was smiting people left right and centre in the first book like a petulant child.

Following an audience-focused review group re-evaluation, the Lord returns as a loved up hippie in the sequel.

C6T. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

I may have heard somewhere that some German folk will urinate on each other with nary a hint of the need of medical intervention against insect, plant or sea-life toxin..?

But what do I know. C6T. 

I don’t think that has anything to do with insect stings………just what district of Munich you happen to be in :wacko:

• Funny 4