The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

They have monsoons in Arizona? 

Not extensively advertised :)

And wicked dust storms. If you get clobbered by one while driving they tell you to drive off the freeway and turn your lights off to stop other cars following you. The worst is when the dust falls as liquid mud when it starts to rain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Always easier with a picture…relating to the dignity with which the native Indians were portrayed at Scottsdale’s Museum of the West, mentioned in my earlier post. The street statues added great character too.

BeRTIe

0452E6F9-CC29-4BC1-9448-9E463E5DBD92.jpeg

170863BE-F9DE-48C0-9204-C3D3B004DF5B.jpeg

54754F96-0AA5-4EB8-8045-4EF073050E7C.jpeg

77D7E77D-1291-4BA5-B36D-E42B005888FE.jpeg

"The West" was in the process of creating its own image, even while it still existed. Showmen like Cody and Earp literally reinvented themselves in the flesh; Ned Buntline, a prolific author of what would now be called "pulps", never rode a horse; Zane Grey, the greatest single contributor to the mythos was a New England college graduate who rivalled Edgar Rice Borroughs in sales. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Always easier with a picture…relating to the dignity with which the native Indians were portrayed at Scottsdale’s Museum of the West, mentioned in my earlier post. The street statues added great character too.

BeRTIe

0452E6F9-CC29-4BC1-9448-9E463E5DBD92.jpeg

170863BE-F9DE-48C0-9204-C3D3B004DF5B.jpeg

54754F96-0AA5-4EB8-8045-4EF073050E7C.jpeg

77D7E77D-1291-4BA5-B36D-E42B005888FE.jpeg

Just chucking a u-ey and heading back down  to Australia so you can compare with Ned Kelly World.

• Funny 3

43 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ned Kelly World

Here was me thinking you'd share the dog on the tuckerbox, file miles from Gundagai. ;)

Loved the "stack hat, welding mask and cricket pads" bit.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

I hadn't noticed this, but it's been pointed out on another forum that the usual melody for "pub with no beer" is a speeded-up arrangement of "Beautiful Dreamer" 

"Waltzing Matilda" is a variant of "Craigielee March" although it isn't played as a march, when sung. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

"Waltzing Matilda" is a variant of "Craigielee March" although it isn't played as a march, when sung. 

Folk opinions vary and accounts differ but it has been argued that this song came first.  Variously the "Rochester Recruiting Song", "The Gay Cavalier", "Marching Through Rochester" and other names it is definitely set to the Craigielee March tune.  Usually performed as a folk song and not at march tempo but the march-step can readily be heard.  

I managed a folk-rock band in Cornwall for a time (around 30 years ago now) who included "Rochester" in their set at an up-tempo beat more akin to a march.  We don't have a recording of that I'm afraid.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Unless you're The Seekers and are using the dance tune ;)  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That deserves several ratings.  Andy only allows us one.  

As the song says "Put on some Barnsey and they're on their way, you'll hear the car coming from a mile away" :jester:

And it's true what they say.  In Australia nobody likes a bogan ;)  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

That deserves several ratings.  Andy only allows us one.  

As the song says "Put on some Barnsey and they're on their way, you'll hear the car coming from a mile away" :jester:

And it's true what they say.  In Australia nobody likes a bogan ;)  

Awww, other bogans do!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Folk opinions vary and accounts differ but it has been argued that this song came first.  Variously the "Rochester Recruiting Song", "The Gay Cavalier", "Marching Through Rochester" and other names it is definitely set to the Craigielee March tune.  Usually performed as a folk song and not at march tempo but the march-step can readily be heard.  

I managed a folk-rock band in Cornwall for a time (around 30 years ago now) who included "Rochester" in their set at an up-tempo beat more akin to a march.  We don't have a recording of that I'm afraid.  

This is common in folk songs, and popular music generally. Banjo Paterson's original published lyrics don't quite match the usual modern version either. 

"Macalpine's Fusiliers" varies considerably between recorded versions.

"Over The Hills and Far Away" is probably better known in the arrangement used in the "Sharpe" TV soundtrack, and "Men of Harlech" was re-arranged for "Zulu" - I'm told, for copyright reasons. 

Probably the most common tune on the folk and trad session circuit - "Soldiers Joy" - has multiple settings as a jig, reel and various other forms. 

Even a tune as well known as "Trumpet Hornpipe" (and oh! the snobbery and posturing which surrounds this little whimsy of a tune!) varies from one session to the next. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, kevinlms said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/driving-with-a-spider-in-the-car/100722554

Yes it happens EVERYDAY!

Not really!

I've always contended that far from being harmless, the Huntsman is possibly responsible for more deaths than any other species given the number I have had suddenly appear from nowhere and crawl across the windscreen while Im driving at reasonable speed.

Maybe all those unexplained fatal accidents where a car has just left the road/crossed into oncoming traffic  aren't so unexplainable..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

There'd be a certain kinda irony that the least deadly sodding thing in a country full of things that'll kill you, was (partly) responsible for the most human deaths.

C6T. 

They'll never catch up to horses though, those psychopaths.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 10/01/2022 at 21:04, monkeysarefun said:

I've always contended that far from being harmless, the Huntsman is possibly responsible for more deaths than any other species given the number I have had suddenly appear from nowhere and crawl across the windscreen while Im driving at reasonable speed.

There is truth in that.  But the Huntsman is not the killer.  The killer is the unlucky motorist who reacts to the situation and ends up suffering a fatal attack of death.  

I know of numerous verified accounts of Huntsman spiders suddenly appearing, goggle-eyed, in front of a driver's eyes and which prompts a startled reaction to say the least.  I have had two in the car over 17 years and around half a million kilometres of Aussie driving.  That's not a big "hit rate" but they were still a surprise to me.  One prompted a scream from my passenger who was perhaps closer to the beast than I was and was also terrified of them. 

I know no fear of spiders and other creepy-crawly beasts.  I was the spider-catcher for the court (Aussie for Cul de Sac) for all the years we lived there.  Anyone with a nasty in their home came knocking our door asking if I would kindly remove it.  A pair of gardening gloves and a plastic container from the kitchen was all that was ever needed.  That and a 10-mnute walk to the nearby park to release the thing far enough away that it wouldn't be likely to trouble the same home again.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

They'll never catch up to horses though, those psychopaths.

Horses are like spilling Mike Tyson's beer or questioning a lady's dress size, unfathomable reaction.

Huntsman seems to be a kid in a white sheet pretending to be a ghost, saying "Boo!" and the reaction is all on you fella.

C6T. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I know of numerous verified accounts of Huntsman spiders suddenly appearing, goggle-eyed, in front of a driver's eyes and which prompts a startled reaction to say the least.

Case in point, this one was just 5 minutes from where I work..

https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/4448093/huntsman-spider-sparks-four-car-crash/

A friend who worked for a while at a Hertz rental car desk said he'd get calls from hysterical international tourists screaming about the massive spider that had just crawled out from somewhere in the car that they'd just rented . Sometimes it was from the police, saying that a 000 call had been made by frantic tourists convinced they were about to be attacked by a killer spider.

The best reaction was from my arachnophobic 18 year old son, who one second was sitting beside me in the passenger seat and the next second was  in the back as a result of a medium size huntsman appearing on the windscreen in front of him. Somehow he managed to unclip his seat belt and perform some kind of miracle backward roll that got him between the seats  and onto the back seat in one split-second motion  despite him being near 6 ft. He knocked the gearstick into neutral on the way through but that is the only thing he hit. It was amazing, one second he was beside me and the next he'd just vanished.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 4