The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Awaiting news of our Australian property. We experienced several earthquakes there but I think the strongest was 3.8.  The only damage we ever sustained was hairline cracking and a couple of smashed ornaments dislodged from their shelves. 

Magnitude 6 would have given the place, a typical 1970s brick-veneer house, quite a jolt.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do geologists believe this earthquake was volcanic in origin?

As a geologist myself I would suggest with 99% confidence this was a tectonic event. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

As a geologist myself I would suggest with 99% confidence this was a tectonic event. 

A very eager beaver already has a comprehensive Wikipedia page up.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the earthquake was the result of strike-slip faulting at a shallow depth of 10 km, while Geoscience Australia placed the depth at 12 km. The EMSC reported the focal depth at 2 km. A preliminary insight of the quake of such magnitude suggest a rupture along a fault measuring 5 km long and 3 km wide. The geological fault involved has been identified as the western reaches of Governor Fault. Seismologists at the University of Melbourne said the earthquake likely ruptured along an east-west striking strike-slip fault. The earthquake occurred when elastic strain accumulated on active fault is released in the form of seismic waves that are felt on the surface as shaking.

Strike-slip faulting 'sounds' very plausible to me.

This was much more informative than any of the news stories I found online.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hope your home is OK. It would be very difficult to repair remotely - if repairs are needed.

We have agents managing the property, the tenant has always been quick to report any problem and the insurance covers earthquake damage. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do geologists believe this earthquake was volcanic in origin? Most volcanic earthquakes are usually small and being caused by magma movements close to the surface are mostly confined to the volcano complex.

(This from someone who can see an active volcano when I take my daily walk, if the weather cooperates, and what people would, in the past, have called a dormant* volcano from my window.

* It really isn't.

Volcanologists don't really use the "dormant" term any more because it is not very meaningful.

Bigger earthquakes are usually tectonic. 

This one was, as far as I can ascertain, tectonic in origin. I was merely illustrating that the area is rather more geologically active than many people realise. Apologies for any confusion I caused.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2021 at 15:30, AndyID said:

At the risk of being labelled a "pedantic pillock" I'd like to point out that "two twins" are actually four people :D

I'm sure that the twins could have done with the rest of a set of quads. They might have completed their work years ago!

But yes, you are correct.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2021 at 14:01, SRman said:

It was near full strength here in Melbourne. I'm in the eastern suburbs, but it was felt all through Melbourne, and much farther afield. Our friends in Geelong and Gheringhap felt it very strongly too, and another friend in Echuca, on the Vic/NSW border as well. There is something to be said for having a wooden house as it can flex without falling apart. Fortunately we suffered no damage, but there was a fairly old brick or stone building in Chapel Street Prahran had a partial collapse.

We have had a few much smaller quakes over the years, but that was the biggest one I have ever felt. New Zealanders and Japanese people, and even some in the USA (like around Los Angeles) are much more used to such things.

The news said it was felt as far north as Sydney and as far west as Adelaide.

What a lot of people don't realise is that Victoria had a lot of volcanic activity on the past, and that many of those volcanos are not extinct, merely dormant. There is a world of difference in those two terms.

I'm much closer to the Mansfield area than you. The house shock for about 30 seconds, strangely at a fairly consistent rate.

• Friendly/supportive 4

John Elliot used to be on the board of the oil company I worked at  back in his '80's heyday. Would occasionally catch the  lift down with him on days he'd been there for a board meeting.  In my mind he was just like he was portrayed above, but I can't remember. He did have a big red nose though.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I'm much closer to the Mansfield area than you. The house shock for about 30 seconds, strangely at a fairly consistent rate.

Yes, it built up then remained pretty constant. Those 30 seconds felt a LOT longer, didn't they? :scared:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SRman said:

Yes, it built up then remained pretty constant. Those 30 seconds felt a LOT longer, didn't they? :scared:

Always does when you don't known when it's going to stop.  Or even if ......... 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Gargantuan funnel web nicknamed ‘Megaspider’ donated to lifesaving program

The ‘unusually large’ and deadly spider’s fangs – so big they could bite through a human fingernail – will be milked for venom

image.png.712b37c34ce4bdb00beaf858bada365f.png

A massive funnel web spider with fangs so long they could bite through a human fingernail has been donated to a lifesaving antivenom program at the Australian Reptile Park.

The arachnid has been named Megaspider, and the park says she is roughly twice the size of a typical funnel web spider, more comparable to a tarantula.

The 8cm funnel web spider’s 2cm fangs will be milked for venom that can be turned into antivenom.

The Australian Reptile Park on the New South Wales Central Coast is the only funnel web spider venom milking facility in the country and the antivenom produced there saves up to 300 lives a year, the park says.

Australian Reptile Park’s education officer, Michael Tate, has “never seen a funnel web spider this big”.

“She is unusually large and if we can get the public to hand in more spiders like her, it will only result in more lives being saved due to the huge amount of venom they can produce,” he said.

The park encourages citizen scientists to safely catch funnel web spiders to donate to the antivenom program.

Megaspider was donated in a clear plastic container with no marking to say where she came from, and the park is now seeking the donor in the hope of finding similarly large specimens.

Spiders can be donated to the park itself, as well as at a number of dropoff points around Sydney, the Central Coast and Newcastle.

(From The Guardian)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's a big funnel web spider.

Is that the funnel-web in the underpants of society?  

No?  

Save that description for a politician of your choosing ;)  

• Funny 1

31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

From a friend in Ballarat, Vic. A whole window display of anti-vax propoganda books. 

Offered without further comment. 

57FA15F0-39BD-4901-88A3-DAF12B39E428.jpeg.f26bc9570c953c51e7939b8d44d6ad80.jpeg

The irony being the inclusion of a title covering the "Spanish Flu" of 1918. Which through a lack of medical intervention and unchecked movement of peoples resulted in the deaths of, what, 50 million people?

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

From a friend in Ballarat, Vic. A whole window display of anti-vax propoganda books. 

Offered without further comment. 

57FA15F0-39BD-4901-88A3-DAF12B39E428.jpeg.f26bc9570c953c51e7939b8d44d6ad80.jpeg

Don't tell me, it was closed due to staff sickness...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8