The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What's next, drive-through bottle shops? ;)

Not unusual in Arizona (at least they used to be). Avoided embarrassment if you were too sozzled to get out of your car without falling over.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not unusual in Arizona (at least they used to be). Avoided embarrassment if you were too sozzled to get out of your car without falling over.

Assuming you can get there without raising suspicions by not having 4 tyres.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well things are really getting dire here - they've shut bloody Bunnings!

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I guess that explains protest marches. What's next, drive-through bottle shops? ;)

Mate if I couldn't get my gold-coin snag with a trip to the Great Hardware Car Park I'd be protesting ;)  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Mate if I couldn't get my gold-coin snag with a trip to the Great Hardware Car Park I'd be protesting ;)  

This bloke had that all sorted 5 years ago.

If Leonardo Da Vinci had been  Australian this is the kind of stuff he'd have invented I reckon.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

This bloke had that all sorted 5 years ago.

If Leonardo Da Vinci had been  Australian this is the kind of stuff he'd have invented I reckon.

I wonder what the outcome was, lot of finds on Google for the original clip, but I doubt that he copped the full $9000 fine.

PS The sausages are all raw, most people that cook sausages for sale, have a choice of degree of cooked.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Getting illegal copies of police badges made, is never going to win you too many friends, but creating a new police service with the explicit intention to arrest politicians and public servants, just isn't going to work!

Perhaps parents that had their kids taught by this woman, should be slightly concerned?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-10/peterborough-woman-arrested-over-fake-police-badges/100452416

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Post Hurricane Ida, (now enduring ex-Hurricane Nicholas) the US Gulf Coast may be giving Australia a run for its money.

Alligator suspected of killing man in Hurricane Ida floodwaters found with what appears to be human remains in its stomach

Usually people warn about the dangers of wading in floodwaters - currents, hidden hazards, snakes, bacteria etc, but being eaten by an alligator is low on the list.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

"Alligator was searched"???? So they murdered the gator because the man was wandering in the gator's home?

The guy was trying to escape the floods when he was attacked by the gator on what was a (flooded) suburban street.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to fear here!

These two twins have done years of amazing work on vintage suburban trains and still going at 79.

I first met them both in the early 80s when I helped out by stripping the old impregnated canvas roof off 107M, which as alluded to was destroyed in an arson attack, by an actual member of Steamrail Victoria.

Kevin was for years employed at The Model Dockyard, in Swanston Street Melbourne. They actually used to advertise brass locos of Australian prototype in the Railway Modeller from time to time.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/welcome-back-old-friend-twins-help-resurrect-red-rattler-train-20210914-p58rfx.html

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Now earthquakes in the foothills of the Victorian Alps!

Magnitude 6.0 earthquake strikes near Melbourne, Australia

I'm not so sure about CNN's definition of "near", but a 6.0 earthquake 80 miles (as the crow flies) from the Melbourne CBD is close enough.

It was near full strength here in Melbourne. I'm in the eastern suburbs, but it was felt all through Melbourne, and much farther afield. Our friends in Geelong and Gheringhap felt it very strongly too, and another friend in Echuca, on the Vic/NSW border as well. There is something to be said for having a wooden house as it can flex without falling apart. Fortunately we suffered no damage, but there was a fairly old brick or stone building in Chapel Street Prahran had a partial collapse.

We have had a few much smaller quakes over the years, but that was the biggest one I have ever felt. New Zealanders and Japanese people, and even some in the USA (like around Los Angeles) are much more used to such things.

The news said it was felt as far north as Sydney and as far west as Adelaide.

What a lot of people don't realise is that Victoria had a lot of volcanic activity on the past, and that many of those volcanos are not extinct, merely dormant. There is a world of difference in those two terms.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SRman said:

What a lot of people don't realise is that Victoria had a lot of volcanic activity on the past, and that many of those volcanos are not extinct, merely dormant. There is a world of difference in those two terms.

And just over the border, Mount Gambier (the mountain) is a comparatively young volcano that erupted about 4,300 years ago. Mount Gambier (the city) has a volcanic disaster plan.

Australia does actually have 2 active volcanoes in the Heard and McDonald Islands, 4000 km south west of Perth.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/09/2021 at 05:28, kevinlms said:

Nothing to fear here!

These two twins have done years of amazing

At the risk of being labelled a "pedantic pillock" I'd like to point out that "two twins" are actually four people :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, SRman said:

What a lot of people don't realise is that Victoria had a lot of volcanic activity on the past, and that many of those volcanos are not extinct, merely dormant.

Do geologists believe this earthquake was volcanic in origin? Most volcanic earthquakes are usually small and being caused by magma movements close to the surface are mostly confined to the volcano complex.

(This from someone who can see an active volcano when I take my daily walk, if the weather cooperates, and what people would, in the past, have called a dormant* volcano from my window.

* It really isn't.

Volcanologists don't really use the "dormant" term any more because it is not very meaningful.

Bigger earthquakes are usually tectonic. 

• Like 1