The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The two places most likely to suffer from rising sea levels in the UK have the most expensive properties. Sandbanks in Dorset and Chelsea Reach in London. The name Sandbanks is a clue to the geology.

https://abouthouse.co.uk/most-expensive-houses-in-sandbanks

On a similar vein, you’ll get the pun shortly….up the road from us there is a literal “Cliff House” it is perched at the edge of a granite cliff, great no chance of the going anywhere…..but…..there are veins of folded slate….that’s the issue, the house was sold about 5 years ago and since then it has had builders, workmen, miners etc etc and I have seen at least five or sixes occasions when there have been a line of four or more cement trucks waiting to pour, and that’s just the times we noticed…..heaven knows how much it’s costing them but it must be many times more than the house will be worth, then again the owners live in London and Paris…..so I don’t care :lol:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Quite a while ago I thought there were plans afoot to actually move the lighthouse (in one piece) obviously that never came through, such a shame.

That was certainly done with Belle Tout lighthouse near Eastbourne in Sussex (which featured in the TV series "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil").

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It was because Orford Ness is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and moving the lighthouse would damage that. Apparently an SSSI trumps a grade II listing by English Heritage. Also the building was liable to collapse if moved as it has no foundations, only a concrete pad laid direct on the shingle which the sea was undermining. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 4

Shifting sands and cliff erosion have long been issues for lighthouses and other waterside properties. One of the most famous lighthouse moves was Cape Hatteras (a 64m tower) in 1999.

There are many examples of structures collapsing into the water (or massive defensive works) in the Pacific northwest and the Great Lakes regions of the US. 

Rising sea levels are causing Netherlands-scale reengineering of streets and drainage in Miami, Florida and after the impact of Hurricane Sandy in 2012, New York wants to build a storm surge barrier to protect the whole harbour. Staten Island is building a seawall.

EDIT:
Island communities in the Chesapeake Bay (like Tangier Island) are disappearing completely.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here (NSW) sea level change seems to be manifesting itself  at times of king tides and the winter storm season.  Undermining or washing away of seaside properties has become a quite common event in the last 10 years, here is Wamberal on the NSW Central coast last year when a storm created by an east coast low pressure system and a King tide coincided.. Those stairs did once lead across sand dunes down onto a stretch of sandy beach...

Some  Sydney suburbs on the  banks  of the Cooks River that feeds into Botany Bay now experience King tide events that wash into local streets, and these streets have houses in them from the 19th and early 20th century when the high tide mark was nowhere near them.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It was because Orford Ness is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and moving the lighthouse would damage that. Apparently an SSSI trumps a grade II listing by English Heritage. Also the building was liable to collapse if moved as it has no foundations, only a concrete pad laid direct on the shingle which the sea was undermining. 

That’s the reason I am sure I saw something about moving it as it was on a “pad” rather than embedded in tons of rock and moving would have been relatively easy with sectional roadway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s the reason I am sure I saw something about moving it as it was on a “pad” rather than embedded in tons of rock and moving would have been relatively easy with sectional roadway.

It had been moved before, thats why it was on the pad. The disturbance to the SSSI was also a factor as was no doubt the cost which was down to the owner.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It had been moved before, thats why it was on the pad. The disturbance to the SSSI was also a factor as was no doubt the cost which was down to the owner.

Aha that explains it, maybe there was a proposed 2nd move and it couldn’t happen and there was info on the original move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

In the UK deer are shy timid creatures, that would be the ones to run for cover if a person approached too close. It seems on the face of it, as though another reason to fear coming to Australia, would be their ferocious Cervidae.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

We seem to be having a bit of antipodean extreme weather in the Pacific Northwet. The temperatures are a lot more like Phoenix Arizona.

Portland is anticipating an all time, record high of 45°C / 114°F today. It will be hotter than Phoenix (109°F) today.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Portland is anticipating an all time, record high of 45°C / 114°F today. It will be hotter than Phoenix (109°F) today.

105F here and till climbing. We don't have A/C but fortunately the downstairs is semi-basement where it's only 75F. When It cools in the evening I'm pushing air into the house with box fans.

Of course if it gets too hot we can always go and jump in the lake (as some people have helpfully suggested :scratchhead:).

Edited by AndyID
Doh
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, rocor said:

In the UK deer are shy timid creatures, that would be the ones to run for cover if a person approached too close. It seems on the face of it, as though another reason to fear coming to Australia, would be their ferocious Cervidae.

We have the top 3 most venomous deer in the world.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Canada is experiencing the same; Lytton, by the junction of the Thompson and Fraser rivers between Kamloops and Vancouver, registered a Canadian record (46.1°C/115°F) on Sunday and broke that on Monday (47.5°C/117.5°F) - apparently this is an all-time record for anywhere north of 50° Latitude.

I was on the Revelstoke VRF cam Sunday and at the end of the day the yard was full of trains stuck there after having motive power issues due to the heat. There was, I understand, emergency track work undertaken overnight to the west of Revy, and on Monday several early eastbound trains included extra locos that were dropped at the yard to add to westbound trains to provide additional power so the locos weren't pushed as hard on the 'hills' (described in chat as 'use notch 6 instead of 8').

Maximum temperature on Monday at Revelstoke was a relatively balmy 39°C/102.2°F

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

For those that fear coming to Australia!

To be honest, my fear is not going to Australia. I had planned on 5 weeks last year, visiting Sydney again and then a camper van around northern NSW and southern QLD. This year is still out of the question and next year have made tentative plans for Colorado again. 2023? Maybe, but I'll then be 67.

• Friendly/supportive 7

On 29/06/2021 at 03:14, talisman56 said:

Canada is experiencing the same; Lytton, by the junction of the Thompson and Fraser rivers between Kamloops and Vancouver, registered a Canadian record (46.1°C/115°F) on Sunday and broke that on Monday (47.5°C/117.5°F) - apparently this is an all-time record for anywhere north of 50° Latitude.

On Tuesday, even that record was history, as the thermometer rose to 49.6°C/121.3°F at Lytton.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/06/2021 at 05:12, Ozexpatriate said:

Eucalyptus is ubiquitous in California. They were commonly grown to provide fast growing wind breaks on the perimeter of orange groves or other orchards.  They are so common it is sometimes easy to imagine the landscape is Australian.

As I believe is the Melaleuca (paper bark) which is now a pest in places like, I believe, Florida.

Edited by Chris hndrsn
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3