The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

One pair? You could have a whole formal outfit and get change from a twenty!

image.png.489e4899f6a9f0a9583f52975306c004.png 

I used to dress like that in Queensland in the '70s. :jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

He might at least have found a pair of cuff-links.

What, on his salary? He has an ex-wife and some daughters and a new one with 2 children to support!

He only gets $A405,000 per annum now. He has stated how tough it is!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

A good reason for wearing short sleeved shirts!

When I started working for a large US based company here in the U.K. back in 1978 almost everyone in the offices wore short sleeved shirts…..with pockets!  It looked odd to me an early 20’s English male who had only ever seen long sleeve formal shirts before…….after a few weeks I was wearing them and have never (apart from the occasional DJ outfit) looked back, they are so much more comfortable to wear, light and cool.

One of the few things from the US I applaud, well that and peanut butter :D

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SRman said:

When I first visited Sydney in the summer of 1999 there were still a few people dressed like that for business. Perhaps air conditioning was less commonplace then.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The one on the left looks like Terry Wogan, who started out as a male model.

The one on the right has the "Newc*" or "Tangles**" look - popular at the time.

* Wimbledon champion John Newcombe

** Cricketer Max Walker

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

When I first visited Sydney in the summer of 1999 there were still a few people dressed like that for business. Perhaps air conditioning was less commonplace then.

Even if the office was air-conditioned, you still had to get there. On my (Brisbane) suburban branch line there was no air conditioning in trains until the first generation EMUs arrived in the 1980s. Then you had to walk from the station to the office. Back then air conditioning in cars was considered an extravagant expense as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks

Some Oz's fashions must look a bit strange to outsiders, but they make 'Perfect' sense when it's 40c +, I work over in the shed (away from prying eyes) in a pair of short shorts, that's it ! and my my 'Tin' shed is more like an oven than a shed.

manna

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

50 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Even if the office was air-conditioned, you still had to get there. On my (Brisbane) suburban branch line there was no air conditioning in trains until the first generation EMUs arrived in the 1980s. Then you had to walk from the station to the office. Back then air conditioning in cars was considered an extravagant expense as well.

In the '70's my mates dad would drive around  with his car windows shut on really hot days so the neighbours would think he'd done alright for himself because he could apparently afford air conditioning in his car. The fact that the car was a 10 year old XP Falcon station wagon would have assumedly put a bit of a dent in his rich knob image but he didn't consider that.  

I used to hate it when it was my mates parents turn to pick us up from the local pool  and it was his dad who turned up in the drivers seat..

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

21 hours ago, SRman said:

Many things were done in Queensland in the 70s that probably should be left there :jester:.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In the '70's my mates dad would drive around  with his car windows shut on really hot days so the neighbours would think he'd done alright for himself because he could apparently afford air conditioning in his car. The fact that the car was a 10 year old XP Falcon station wagon would have assumedly put a bit of a dent in his rich knob image but he didn't consider that.  

I used to hate it when it was my mates parents turn to pick us up from the local pool  and it was his dad who turned up in the drivers seat..

We lived in Phoenix AZ for about six years and there was only one way to describe the climate in the Summer - expletive hot! And there was no AC in my VW bug. I don't know if they do this in OZ but the swimming pools around Phoenix have a return from the filter pump that sprays a plume of water over the surface of the pool to cool it down by evaporation. In July and August you really don't want to go into the pool because it's not in the slightest bit refreshing.

We were thinking of heading South from North Idaho perhaps to the Arizona mountains or New Mexico but the latest blast of high temperatures are a serious cause for concern. We've managed to do without AC here for 25 years which makes the Summers really pleasant. I'm not sure they will be further to the South.

Edited by AndyID
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

" ..... I don't know if they do this in OZ but the swimming pools around Phoenix have a return from the filter pump that sprays a plume of water over the surface of the pool to cool it down by evaporation."

I have never seen that sort of cooling here in Australia, what a waste of water! 

• Agree 8

We are finally  coming to grips with how dry Australia intrinsically is, water conservation has a high degree of acceptance especially after the last drought, although there are always exceptions who spend 20 minutes hosing the leaves off their driveways.

In contrast my partner follows some YouTube vlogger who is coincidently living in Arizona. At the start of her tedious  videos she'll often turn on the kitchen tap to wash her hands or somerhing then  leave it blasting into the sink in  the background for the 4 or 5 hours her video about putting on lipstick or whatever and whinging about life  goes for. I've often wanted to post a comment "turn the bloody tap off!" I always give her a thumbs down.

On the other hand there are  other video bloggers she follows that do gardening, mainly in California, who are embracing water wise gardens and feature many Australian natives. Which is weird because the waterwise garden my partner  created here features mainly plants from California and Mexico ..

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Chris hndrsn said:

Waste of water

Yes - quite wasteful and all the additional humidity didn't do anything good for the comfort level either. But like many things there is a tradeoff. As the water temperature increases it takes a lot more chemicals to prevent the pool becoming the color and consistency of green pea soup :huh:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

We lived in Phoenix AZ for about six years and there was only one way to describe the climate in the Summer - expletive hot! And there was no AC in my VW bug.

Phoenix is far worse than the largest Australian cities. There are climates in Australia that are certainly similar to the Valley of the Sun but few people live there. The vast majority of the Australian population lives in relative proximity to the coast which helps moderate the climate a bit.

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

I don't know if they do this in OZ but the swimming pools around Phoenix have a return from the filter pump that sprays a plume of water over the surface of the pool to cool it down by evaporation.

I expect that to be curtailed given the current levels of Lake Mead and the high probability certainty of lower Colorado water restrictions next year. Unless something can be done to mitigate the drought, Phoenix and Las Vegas/Henderson will become unlivable.

The plume over the pool has become quite common across the west. There's an apartment complex down the road from me with a pool like that.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There are  other video bloggers she follows that do gardening, mainly in California, who are embracing water wise gardens and feature many Australian natives.

Eucalyptus is ubiquitous in California. They were commonly grown to provide fast growing wind breaks on the perimeter of orange groves or other orchards.  They are so common it is sometimes easy to imagine the landscape is Australian.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Going by the gardening vlogs, US dry gardeners have embraced other Aussie natives like  the bottlebrush and the kangaroo paw too. To the point that  my missus gets quite jealous at some of  the  amazingly coloured cultivars that have been created there that we can't get here!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

We don't have these in Wigan !!

Huge spider webs engulfs Australian towns after floods

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-22/huge-spider-webs-engulfs-australian-towns-after-floods

Brit15

ALthough nowhere near that scale, I'm always amazed at the amount of spiderwebs hanging off everything that you can see when the sun shines after a heavy dew. Almost everything has either a thread or some kind of spun web attached to it, though given that some spiders here can live to at least 43 years of age I guess theres a lot of them out there...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-28/worlds-oldest-spider-dies-aged-43-in-western-australia/9707422

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

ALthough nowhere near that scale, I'm always amazed at the amount of spiderwebs hanging off everything that you can see when the sun shines after a heavy dew.

NASA radar dish in my yard:

690183986_Spiderweb24sep2016-002.JPG.cd5c709d7861d188152217f65ea41d55.JPG

987380295_Spiderweb24sep2016-001.JPG.3c0cb3753284ef5cf560a730a87d4871.JPG

Oddly, it was gone later in the day. No, I did not touch it!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We are finally  coming to grips with how dry Australia intrinsically is, water conservation has a high degree of acceptance especially after the last drought, although there are always exceptions who spend 20 minutes hosing the leaves off their driveways.

In contrast my partner follows some YouTube vlogger who is coincidently living in Arizona. At the start of her tedious  videos she'll often turn on the kitchen tap to wash her hands or somerhing then  leave it blasting into the sink in  the background for the 4 or 5 hours her video about putting on lipstick or whatever and whinging about life  goes for. I've often wanted to post a comment "turn the bloody tap off!" I always give her a thumbs down.

On the other hand there are  other video bloggers she follows that do gardening, mainly in California, who are embracing water wise gardens and feature many Australian natives. Which is weird because the waterwise garden my partner  created here features mainly plants from California and Mexico ..

In the Motherland, there are a number what I now call professional contrarians. Long story short, Auntie Beeb will occasionally have to have some of these desperate for attention hacks on to offer "counter-points". This means some appearance fee leech like, oh I dunno, Julia Hartley-Brewer blatantly hamming faux shock at any suggestion of climate crisis. 

"Crisis" is I believe a phrase Ms. H-B might save for dinner party faux-pas. When the Thames regularly laps within her fitted kitchen, perhaps she'll take notice. Or move.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

When I first came to WA in 1996, from the perpetually soggy UK, I found myself staggered by how profligate Perth was with water, considering its situation on the edge of a continent that is, effectively, a huge desert. Things have changed a bit in the intervening years, but there are still plenty who whinge about the slightest restriction on their "right" to dispose of 10s of thousands of litres to no real benefit to anyone.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Hartley-Brewer blatantly hamming faux shock at any suggestion of climate crisis. 

"Crisis" is I believe a phrase Ms. H-B might save for dinner party faux-pas. When the Thames regularly laps within her fitted kitchen, perhaps she'll take notice. Or move.

With sea levels rising at a steady 3mm a year, anyone reading this is going to be long time dead before Ms H-B will have the slightest chance of getting her feet wet. 

Bill Bedford

Mousa Models: https://mousa-models.co.uk

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

In the Motherland, there are a number what I now call professional contrarians. Long story short, Auntie Beeb will occasionally have to have some of these desperate for attention hacks on to offer "counter-points". This means some appearance fee leech like, oh I dunno, Julia Hartley-Brewer blatantly hamming faux shock at any suggestion of climate crisis. 

C6T. 

1 hour ago, billbedford said:

With sea levels rising at a steady 3mm a year, anyone reading this is going to be long time dead before Ms H-B will have the slightest chance of getting her feet wet. 

Bill Bedford

Mousa Models: https://mousa-models.co.uk

The two places most likely to suffer from rising sea levels in the UK have the most expensive properties. Sandbanks in Dorset and Chelsea Reach in London. The name Sandbanks is a clue to the geology.

https://abouthouse.co.uk/most-expensive-houses-in-sandbanks

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The two places most likely to suffer from rising sea levels in the UK have the most expensive properties. Sandbanks in Dorset and Chelsea Reach in London. The name Sandbanks is a clue to the geology.

https://abouthouse.co.uk/most-expensive-houses-in-sandbanks

Boo hoo boo hoo :lol:

• Funny 1