The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, only 4 degrees this morning at our place. Today is claimed to be the coldest Sydney day for 25 years.

In fact, with a maximum of 10.3 deg C we are told that it was the coldest day since July 1984 and the coldest June day since 1899.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-set-for-coldest-day-in-25-years-while-orange-blanketed-in-snow-20210610-p57zq8.html

Time for something warming I think, probably caramel in colour and from Scotland.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

G'Day Folks

Ruddy cold here in Boobs. Had a few snow flurries 20k's away. Don't even bother going over to the shed and light the fire !

But I do have the annual model railway show on in Adelaide this weekend to look forward to, missed the last two shows due to Covid and a sick wife.

manna

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

something warming I think, probably caramel in colour and from Scotland.

The better stuff is often paler than caramel ;)  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone miss me?

With the storms in Victoria, I lost power for about 33 hours, internet for about 50 hours and mobile coverage is still down.

I had some urgent emails to send today, so had to travel about 25kms to get workable mobile coverage.

But I'm one of the lucky ones with nearly 69,000 customers still off the grid in the eastern half of Victoria, including near neighbours and some rellies a bit further a field.

Some people are expected to take upwards of a week to get reconnected, especially those with building damage. So some linesmen are going to be very busy.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

I have friends who are now deprived of electricity for the foreseeable future.  They are told there might be 500 trees down and many kilometres of overhead power lines to be rebuilt before they can be switched back on.  This in suburban Melbourne.  

Melbourne at least (and iirc much of most major Australian cities) uses overhead rather than buried power lines which are therefore very susceptible to wind-storms and tree-fall damage.  We would lose power almost every time a strong cool change blew in which flips the wind from a northerly to a southwesterly gale in minutes.  

No word yet on our own property which has numerous large trees.  Dragon-in-Law on the Bellarine Peninsula had a neighbour's tree fall and damage her home.  The tree in question was one DiL had repeatedly asked neighbour to manage due to its size and the extent of overhang across the boundary.  Her insurer has already advised neighbour will be liable for the full cost based upon failure to maintain and failure to comply with legal notices.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I have friends who are now deprived of electricity for the foreseeable future.  They are told there might be 500 trees down and many kilometres of overhead power lines to be rebuilt before they can be switched back on.  This in suburban Melbourne.  

Melbourne at least (and iirc much of most major Australian cities) uses overhead rather than buried power lines which are therefore very susceptible to wind-storms and tree-fall damage.  We would lose power almost every time a strong cool change blew in which flips the wind from a northerly to a southwesterly gale in minutes.  

No word yet on our own property which has numerous large trees.  Dragon-in-Law on the Bellarine Peninsula had a neighbour's tree fall and damage her home.  The tree in question was one DiL had repeatedly asked neighbour to manage due to its size and the extent of overhang across the boundary.  Her insurer has already advised neighbour will be liable for the full cost based upon failure to maintain and failure to comply with legal notices.  

You can look here.

https://www.outagetracker.com.au/

Would it be Mooroolbark, as that seems to still have a lot of outages. It is somewhere I lived for 40 years.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Croydon - Lilydale area so very close to Mooroolbark, yes.

The power outage at Mooroolbark, contributed to the chaos at the level crossing removal project, apparently.

• Informative/Useful 4

15 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Melbourne at least (and iirc much of most major Australian cities) uses overhead rather than buried power lines which are therefore very susceptible to wind-storms and tree-fall damage.

Much like the US, pretty much all "new" suburban development in Australia (in most of the last 30 years*) has had local, lower voltage, (240V and 415V three phase) power distribution underground, but as soon as a higher voltage transmission line is required, on the pole it goes. Anything rural of course is still on a pole.

* My university had experiments in the 1980s on the heating effects of underground power.

Here we had an ice storm in February. Despite underground distribution in the neighbourhood, pole-mounted transmission was still vulnerable. I was out of power for about a day and a half.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I have a friend who lives in South Benfleet. His bungalow and many surrounding houses and bungalows were built in the late 40's early 50's. The power supply apart from some of the main roads is still overhead. Despite that https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/inside-essexs-10m-mansion-benfleets-4394339 not a typical property in the area though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have a friend who lives in South Benfleet. His bungalow and many surrounding houses and bungalows were built in the late 40's early 50's. The power supply apart from some of the main roads is still overhead. Despite that https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/inside-essexs-10m-mansion-benfleets-4394339 not a typical property in the area though.

Power line runs down the middle of our lane suspended above centrally (trees either side) it is a three core twisted affair, presumably a three phase supply being the main, squirrels make good use of it.

The actual supply to our house though runs from the post underground.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Haha we always joked that the Benfleet millionaires would have a great view of Canvey refinery when it blows, should top their tans up a bit :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

three core twisted affair, presumably a three phase supply being the main

I think you might find that it is a 4 core bundle, 3 phase & neutral

In Brisbane lot of this type of overhead conductor has been replacing the more traditional 4 single conductors on cross arms.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, John ks said:

I think you might find that it is a 4 core bundle, 3 phase & neutral

In Brisbane lot of this type of overhead conductor has been replacing the more traditional 4 single conductors on cross arms.

John

I did wonder that, without unravelling it and counting it is difficult to judge :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I did wonder that, without unravelling it and counting it is difficult to judge :lol:

Just chop it with bolt cutters, then you can look at the ends!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SRman said:

:no2::cry:

Shows just how limited the Nationals are for talent. Can anyone explain what the difference is between these two?

I thought not!

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

He's ba-ack!

No doubt he owned more than one pair of "Stubbies" in the decade that taste forgot.

(For people who did not experience Oz in the 70s, I'm not talking about small bottles of beer.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

No doubt he owned more than one pair of "Stubbies" in the decade that taste forgot.

(For people who did not experience Oz in the 70s, I'm not talking about small bottles of beer.)

One pair? You could have a whole formal outfit and get change from a twenty!

image.png.489e4899f6a9f0a9583f52975306c004.png 

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

One pair? You could have a whole formal outfit and get change from a twenty!

image.png.489e4899f6a9f0a9583f52975306c004.png 

The one on the left looks like Terry Wogan, who started out as a male model.

• Informative/Useful 2