The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

On the topic of blokes with deep voices -

Acclaimed as having one of the deepest baritones ever recorded  Malcolm McEachern was an Australian who toured with Dame Nellie Melba . He was an accomplished  oratorio singer but rather than pursue life as an opera singer he  formed Mr Flotsam and Mr Jetsam with Englishman Bentley Collingwood Hilliam,  acclaimed as having one of the  the most English names ever recorded.

They have been called the forerunners to other duos such as Flanders and Swan and their  song "Is he an Aussie " was for some reason used at the end of the closing credits of the 2013 American dystopian horror flick 'The Purge".

Fittingly, he has a street named after him in the  Canberra suburb of Melba....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I hope not, Vegemite might discourage drop bears but it might attract something even nastier.:scared::wacko:

Yes.  An Aussie Sheila :jester: 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ikks said:

What a wonderful story.

Mike

Yes, how can anything be lost on a beach for 55 years?

Did hear a story on the radio about a family who had their holiday in the same location for years. One year the mother lost her wedding ring on the beach. Of course they spent the rest of the week looking for it, to no avail.

Next year, down to the beach. Someone bends down and picks it off the sand and says 'Here it is'!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, how can anything be lost on a beach for 55 years?

Did hear a story on the radio about a family who had their holiday in the same location for years. One year the mother lost her wedding ring on the beach. Of course they spent the rest of the week looking for it, to no avail.

Next year, down to the beach. Someone bends down and picks it off the sand and says 'Here it is'!

Happens all the time......I'd love to know who the bastard is though who found my wallet!!!!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ikks said:

Happens all the time......I'd love to know who the bastard is though who found my wallet!!!!

Mike

I was lucky with my card wallet.

I'd dropped off my wife at hospital for an op. On the way home I stopped at a local park & did what I had to. I continued home.

Later, my wife rang up to get me to take some spare clothes in. On leaving home, I found that my wallet was missing, so did the usual search of house and car.

Mind clicked, I remembered a clunk sound at the gents!

So I stopped off at the toilets and straight into the cubicle & there is my card wallet, with the cards spread over the floor, everything there.

So I picked them up, washed them under the sink and continued on my way.

They had been there for roughly 7 hours!!!! I was lucky, as it was a wet & stormy day and obviously no one had been there all day! How good is that?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I was lucky with my card wallet.

I'd dropped off my wife at hospital for an op. On the way home I stopped at a local park & did what I had to. I continued home.

Later, my wife rang up to get me to take some spare clothes in. On leaving home, I found that my wallet was missing, so did the usual search of house and car.

Mind clicked, I remembered a clunk sound at the gents!

So I stopped off at the toilets and straight into the cubicle & there is my card wallet, with the cards spread over the floor, everything there.

So I picked them up, washed them under the sink and continued on my way.

They had been there for roughly 7 hours!!!! I was lucky, as it was a wet & stormy day and obviously no one had been there all day! How good is that?

That'll do nicely!

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

how can anything be lost on a beach for 55 years?

I lost something on a beach 50 years ago that I'll never get back :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, graeme3300 said:

This quite amazing story was on local ABC radio today. Also bear in mind the bloke is 80 years of age too!

Gippsland fisherman faces off with tiger snake in tinny anchored far from shore

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/fishermans-tiger-snake-stand-off-on-lake-wellington/100110606

Graeme

I was going to post that, but RMweb was down for so long, I forgot!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Was that one where the cop pulls the bloke who's got a brown snake ins his ute  get put up here?

I still like it because of the way the cop goes to the back of the ute when told about it, points at snake and goes "Ahh, That one?"

'

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

From the Guardian

Owner of Tasmania museum takes council to integrity watchdog over penguin poo sign dispute

image.png.bff0a25618f866103df4d0ee9acca06e.png

The sh1t has truly hit the fan in Tasmania with a stoush over a large sign depicting a penguin projectile pooing going all the way to the state’s integrity commission.

The owner of the “Pooseum” – a small museum “dedicated to all things poo” in Richmond north-east of Hobart – has made a formal complaint to the state’s public sector misconduct watchdog.

Karin Koch claims she has been subjected to “bullying and discriminating behaviour” by members of the local Clarence City Council during a years-long disagreement over her business signage.

The sign outside the museum building previously displayed the words “Pooseum” underneath a cartoon penguin bending over and letting out a long horizontal stream of excrement.

The Pooseum – “where talking about poo is not taboo” – contains a large selection of animal dropping displays and informative exhibitions explaining all the practical uses of dung in the wild and in modern society.

“According to a letter from the council, the sign has caused the town of Richmond to lose its historic cultural heritage significance and does not contribute positively to the town’s streetscape, an absurd claim,” she wrote.

But the local mayor, Doug Chipman, said the council’s issue with the sign had “absolutely nothing to do” with the offbeat image but rather its size and placement.

“The only reason we don’t like the sign is because it doesn’t comply with the [heritage] scheme – it’s got nothing to do with what’s written on it,” Chipman said.

“Our staff have bent over backwards trying to work with the owner to come up with a compliant sign … it would be guaranteed approval because it complied with a scheme.

“We, as a council, would love to help the poo museum be a successful business. We’ve said that and I just cannot understand why the simple size and orientation of the sign has to be an issue.”

Across from the sign is a bronze statue of a dog relieving its bowels, with a placard reading “Pooby-Doo”. The council appears not to have any issue with it.

Guardian Australia understands the sign’s placement is also at issue with heritage guidelines requiring signs be front-on or at a 90-degree angle to the road.

Koch said she was not fighting the council to increase the museum’s profile.

“I am a very private person who does not like media attention unless it is for a positive reason. I would love to focus solely on my work instead of an unnecessary dispute but I will not allow the council to single me out and bully me,” she said.

Edited by monkeysarefun
The Guardian put a naughty word in the original...
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

On 03/05/2021 at 23:29, monkeysarefun said:

Was that one where the cop pulls the bloke who's got a brown snake ins his ute  get put up here?

I still like it because of the way the cop goes to the back of the ute when told about it, points at snake and goes "Ahh, That one?"

'

That's it, I am NEVER going to Australia, deadly snakes are one thing, but hitching a lift & cuddling / nibbling you are too much  :scared:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Never mind the snakes, what about all the mice ?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-05-26/theyre-everywhere-mouse-plague-spreading-chaos-in-australia

Haven't you got any cats?  Are they on strike or something?

Thats what the snakes are meant to be for.

1 hour ago, duncan said:

That's it, I am NEVER going to Australia, deadly snakes are one thing, but hitching a lift & cuddling / nibbling you are too much  :scared:

Pfff, a Brown snake, only the worlds second most venomous, now if it had been an inland Taipan.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, duncan said:

Depends who's doing the cuddling and nibbling...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/05/2021 at 08:44, Michael Hodgson said:

Never mind the snakes, what about all the mice ?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-05-26/theyre-everywhere-mouse-plague-spreading-chaos-in-australia

Haven't you got any cats?  Are they on strike or something?

Cats are totally overwhelmed. Have you seen photos, not just the miserly collection in the photo, the state is crawling with them.

• Agree 3