The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

King Parrots inhabit the woodland near the family's holiday home above Sawmill Settlement.  They plonk themselves ungraciously onto the railings there at the expense of smaller birds but usually stay up in the trees.  

For those that fear coming to Australia check out the size of a Powerful Owl ..... 

1189312453_Screenshot2021-01-30at22_09_02.png.af6a694d22de58c64ccc9694b4ae4b0b.png

• Like 12

A couple of rungs down the royalty hierarchy from the King Parrot is the Princess Parrot. This is Cobber who we were given about 25 years ago by an apprentice builder working on the house who had to get rid of him because he was going into the army. He saw we had an aviary and asked if we could take him.

They aren't renowned for their talking abilities but he's a great mimic of local birds and cycles through them like those car alarms in the '80's that went through about a dozen different sounds one after the other - Indian Mynah -> Duck in house behind us -> Chicken in house behind us -> blackbird -> Lorikeet whistle -> galah screech -> cockatoo screech -> Peewee calling.....  over and over again.

image.png.d868e2caacd2750ddf7fb8e646c3d016.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Don't think it would be a Sydney Funnel web, they can't climb anything, probably a huntsman, those guys love playing tricks like that - favourite is to hide behind your sun visor so you drive along, sun gets in your eyes, flip down visor and theres a bloody big huntsman there right in front of your face..

As we know, they're quite good at emerging from the air vent too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

As we know, they're quite good at emerging from the air vent too.

I'm amazed at their grippiness skills. Had one fall onto my hand in the shed so I instinctively flicked my hand and it sailed through the air and hit the tin wall and instantly stuck there, like it had super magnets on its feet, didn't bounce off or slide down, just went 'stick!'.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm amazed at their grippiness skills. Had one fall onto my hand in the shed so I instinctively flicked my hand and it sailed through the air and hit the tin wall and instantly stuck there, like it had super magnets on its feet, didn't bounce off or slide down, just went 'stick!'.

Surely you've watched "Spiderman"?

• Funny 4

26 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Surely you've watched "Spiderman"?

I remember a story about the movie."Arachnophobia". They needed a heap of scary looking but harmless big spiders, and initially chose the Aussie Huntsman but ended up using the New Zealand version instead.

The story put about at the time on talk back radio was that Actors Equity, which is our Actors union disallowed it because they were non unionised spiders, but I reckon it was more likely a wildlife export issue.

If it was even true.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, kevinlms said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-30/huntsman-spider-home-invasions-driven-by-weather/13104560

"I knew a lady who stripped down and ran the water in the bath to clean it out. The next minute, there were hundreds of huntsmen running up the walls and her running out the house screaming anything but 'eureka'."

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I had one emerge from behind the instruments of my motorcycle at an indicated "Ahem. Good morning officer", and then have a good explore of the handlebars and switchgear, before disappearing back down behind the clocks. I was quite glad it didn't lose its grip in the rather strong breeze.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

And how many above the limit was that? :jester:

Enough that I didn't fancy trying to see around a large spider stuck to my visor. 

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Slow news day? (That linked story was recycled from 2016. I think we had the original in this thread.)

It would appear so.  Yes it was from 2016.  I have no idea how it found its way into a present-day news item about possible flooding in Wales.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have no idea how it found its way into a present-day news item

Multiple online news platforms seem to do this.

CNN's online news frequently reuses links to old stories underneath a current news article. When they do this with old weather stories, it is really pointless. No one wants to read about something like an incoming hurricane that is long gone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip... No one wants to read about something like an incoming hurricane that is long gone.

Mmmf, I do not even like reading about a hurricane that is 100 miles off of my coastline and heading westward! :o

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2021 at 03:11, Gwiwer said:

It would appear so.  Yes it was from 2016.  I have no idea how it found its way into a present-day news item about possible flooding in Wales.  

They felt that the Welsh needed cheering up?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

That’ll keep even a champion shearer busy for 3 minutes ;)   

Speaking of champions ..... 

Vicpol (Victorian Police) stopped a ute which was being driven erratically up the Hume Hwy one night near Seymour. 

They tried to take the driver’s details but found him royally drunk. They found his name and address on his licence but when they asked his job all they got was “Chissesser”. 

They tried the passenger who managed the more informative “Chammon Chissesser” 

It turned out that both gentlemen were competitive chick-sexers (yes, it is a thing), the passenger had just become a regional Champion Chick Sexer and they had been celebrating the fact at the Seymour Show :o  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

chick-sexers (yes, it is a thing)

My ex FIL had a chicken farm and apparently chick-sexing is a pretty high paid in-demand job. 

Its pretty &$*#@& awful what happens to the male chicks when they are sexing batches intended for egg-farms  though. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

chick-sexing is a pretty high paid in-demand job

Yes it is.  The best chick-sexers can tour the country much as the best shearers do.  You need to be very very close to 100% over some time to be in that sort of money though.  I managed 100% on all our backyard birds but never at the speed the professionals have to do it which is several chicks a minute.  And nowhere near the numbers either.  A handful of chicks now and again compared to maybe tens of thousands on the big commercial lots.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3