The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Having one or two issues with bushfire smoke right now.

aq.jpg.8c35fe946ba5c93962327df08fc3cc0c.jpg

The NSW government announced level 2 water restrictions will be in place in December due to dam levels getting lower faster than they were expecting  - ( thats afer they've increased Sydneys population by 1.5 million in the last 5 years without any increase in water infrastructure - oh why do we HAVE to vote for these geniuses?).

At this rate if the drought doesn't end we'll be out of water January 2021...

• Friendly/supportive 7

Monkey, all Australian governments haven't invested any where near enough in infrastructure, Victoria is playing catch up on metro trains where Sydney has been doing it for years, no one other than south aus, has spent anything on the electrical system and now we have some of the highest costs in electricity in the world as they bandaid the systems which were privatised and stripped... water will be the next system where they will have to spend big on dams and pipe lines as again nothing in. 30+ years. Look at the amount we spend on fuel and the excise on that and we are getting very little for our money. One issue I have heard is the government is concerned that the excise take is dropping as they pushed for more fuel efficient vehicles... so either watch the excise rise or licence fees skyrocket! 

The only thing they seem to spend more on is them selves...I think the premier of Victoria is on something like 480k a year and back benchers are on 190k a year. Their staff however aren't any where near that. 

Sorry to all all I am very pessimistic about the actions of our governments ( and I will point out this is not party political as they all do it) they seem to have lost touch with most common people want. On the other hand the teachers, police, hospital workers, the fireries, council workers etc who get rubbish payrisers of 2% ( which is less than the inflation rate) I feel for as it's not getting any easier. I just can't see where our taxes are being used properly. 

In the most Australian way I think it's time for the whipper snipper to go on the tall poppies and bring them down to size. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, DougN said:

Monkey, all Australian governments haven't invested any where near enough in infrastructure, Victoria is playing catch up on metro trains where Sydney has been doing it for years, no one other than south aus, has spent anything on the electrical system and now we have some of the highest costs in electricity in the world as they bandaid the systems which were privatised and stripped... water will be the next system where they will have to spend big on dams and pipe lines as again nothing in. 30+ years. Look at the amount we spend on fuel and the excise on that and we are getting very little for our money. One issue I have heard is the government is concerned that the excise take is dropping as they pushed for more fuel efficient vehicles... so either watch the excise rise or licence fees skyrocket! 

The only thing they seem to spend more on is them selves...I think the premier of Victoria is on something like 480k a year and back benchers are on 190k a year. Their staff however aren't any where near that. 

Sorry to all all I am very pessimistic about the actions of our governments ( and I will point out this is not party political as they all do it) they seem to have lost touch with most common people want. On the other hand the teachers, police, hospital workers, the fireries, council workers etc who get rubbish payrisers of 2% ( which is less than the inflation rate) I feel for as it's not getting any easier. I just can't see where our taxes are being used properly. 

In the most Australian way I think it's time for the whipper snipper to go on the tall poppies and bring them down to size. 

Rupert Murdoch runs this country as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DougN said:

The Sydney new tram line is way behind schedule and the it's budget has blown out to almost double. There are many claims from business outstanding, for lost income during the construction stage.

• Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks.

Been a good week so far, Came home on Sunday after a visit to friends, could see smoke 60ks away, turns out it was a large Grass fire, got to within half a mile of the house, water bombers etc, so no real danger, but it burned out a couple of hundred acres and jumped a tarmac road.

Then Monday had a Brown snake near the back door, dogs went after it, called them off, the snake went under the house, couple of hours later, it came out, dogs saw it again, back under the house it went, haven't seen it since, hopefully gone.

manna

DSCF4256.JPG

DSCF4260.JPG

DSCF4261.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 9

On the bright side, you shouldn't have a mouse problem!

We've been covered in smoke for weeks, some days not too bad, others way into the hazardous scale. Just a bit earlier today  a band of rain showed up on the BOM radar page. Good I thought, hopefully it'll be hard enough to damp things down and clean the air for a bit. Turns out we got about 10 seconds of rain but several minutes of lightning and thunder,

Shortly after there was the   sound of sirens along the main road  and then heavy smoke rolled in along with ash in the air so I guess its close by. The smoke is really thick now..

IMG_20191130_181154.jpg.b2de47672a681a875dd28367952e4d4d.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

On the bright side, you shouldn't have a mouse problem!

We've been covered in smoke for weeks, some days not too bad, others way into the hazardous scale. Just a bit earlier today  a band of rain showed up on the BOM radar page. Good I thought, hopefully it'll be hard enough to damp things down and clean the air for a bit. Turns out we got about 10 seconds of rain but several minutes of lightning and thunder,

Shortly after there was the   sound of sirens along the main road  and then heavy smoke rolled in along with ash in the air so I guess its close by. The smoke is really thick now..

IMG_20191130_181154.jpg.b2de47672a681a875dd28367952e4d4d.jpg

Can't see that on the RFS website. Whereabouts are you?

• Like 1

I'm out towards The Oaks.

The rfs site showed nothing new other than a vehicle fire up the road which I assume that is where the emergency vehicles were off to.

I guess the smoke is from the fire to the west of nattai which has been going for a few days,

The storm such as it was must have come with a wind change to blow it up thickly like that. By late evening it was clearer ie back to normal light grey haze.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm out towards The Oaks.

The rfs site showed nothing new other than a vehicle fire up the road which I assume that is where the emergency vehicles were off to.

I guess the smoke is from the fire to the west of nattai which has been going for a few days,

The storm such as it was must have come with a wind change to blow it up thickly like that. By late evening it was clearer ie back to normal light grey haze.

Ah, I hadn't looked that far south. We're on the upper North Shore, close to Berowra Valley National Park.

• Informative/Useful 3

I  had to drive into this evil bu99er to get from work back to home today.

The Green Wattle fire,  burning out of control southwest of Sydney, just one of several around the city right now,  and heading rapidly east. towards here......

fire.jpg.44fe27c5ae0b183348390e9618c5c374.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 12

Given that the incredibly hot dry conditions we've been experiencing here that have resulted in out of control fires have been forecast by climate scientists for the last couple of decades unless we reduce our reliance on coal, I guess this is  somewhat ironic,

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/blaze-approaches-power-plant-as-another-fire-destroys-homes-20191216-p53khc.html

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Given that the incredibly hot dry conditions we've been experiencing here that have resulted in out of control fires have been forecast by climate scientists for the last couple of decades unless we reduce our reliance on coal, I guess this is  somewhat ironic,

It makes you wonder what would happen if embers from the bushfire were able to ignite the coal pile next to the power station.

That would be a challenging fire suppression problem. Of course coal would be difficult to ignite.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It makes you wonder what would happen if embers from the bushfire were able to ignite the coal pile next to the power station.

That would be a challenging fire suppression problem. Of course coal would be difficult to ignite.

Well that did occur in Victoria.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-02/hazelwood-coal-mine-fire-morwell/5711564

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2