The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is this years  senate  voting form a bit smaller than usual?

11108606-3x2-940x627.jpg.ff2319047d5bb91eef009d00f55a8c3f.jpg

Maybe we are finally starting to run out of people who want to get paid heaps to sit around and do stuff all  selflessly offer their services to make Australia a better place.

Also..... what DOES Antony Green do the rest of the time?

Well you DID ask!!!!!!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/about/backstory/television/2019-05-14/antony-green-on-30-years-of-analysing-elections/11110578

Cheers from WA,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is this years  senate  voting form a bit smaller than usual?

11108606-3x2-940x627.jpg.ff2319047d5bb91eef009d00f55a8c3f.jpg

Maybe we are finally starting to run out of people who want to get paid heaps to sit around and do stuff all  selflessly offer their services to make Australia a better place.

Also..... what DOES Antony Green do the rest of the time?

Compulsory voting and having to plough through that lot? How ever do the Aussies (a) have time to vote, and (b) decide who to vote for? Give me an 'X' in a box anytime...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Compulsory voting and having to plough through that lot? How ever do the Aussies (a) have time to vote, and (b) decide who to vote for? Give me an 'X' in a box anytime...

It doesn't take as long as you might think (for the Senate paper as depicted).

You have a choice of voting above the bold line,

Deleted wrong text

That way you can ensure you least favourite gets your last vote (Fraser Anning for example). If you don't fill it correctly, your vote is void.

Here is a list of parties standing and whatever your politics are, there are some that you will definitely disagree with.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/10/australian-election-2019-full-list-of-micro-parties-standing-in-the-senate

Edit to add. 

All major parties, hand out 'how to vote' cards, which have their recommendations on how to fill it out.

Edited by kevinlms
Wrong info previously provided.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The good thing is, our Polling Station is about two minutes walk from the Smiling Samoyed Brewery in Myponga, just sit there and forget the politics , look at the views across the Lovely Valley reservoir, watch the kangas  and partake of their superb beers:D, Then sneak quietly home via the back track.:good:no traffic or Mr. Plod there!!:bye:. not that we over indulge though;)

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

It doesn't take as long as you might think (for the Senate paper as depicted).

You have a choice of voting above the bold line, where you mark a single box (with a 1).

If you vote below the line, you MUST mark at least 1 - 15, but you can fill them all if you wish. Then care needs to be taken, to mark them ALL, with no duplicates or gaps in the numbering. That way you can ensure you least favourite gets your last vote (Fraser Anning for example). If you don't fill it correctly, your vote is void.

Here is a list of parties standing and whatever your politics are, there are some that you will definitely disagree with.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/10/australian-election-2019-full-list-of-micro-parties-standing-in-the-senate

Edit to add. 

All major parties, hand out 'how to vote' cards, which have their recommendations on how to fill it out.

Ha ha, see you THINK you have it all sussed and then they go changing it on you!

THIS year you've got to pick at least 6 from above the line or at least 12 below it.    https://www.aec.gov.au/voting/how_to_vote/voting_senate.htm

I think the change is  in order to try to fix the issue where micro parties can get in with a hand full of primary votes and a heap of preference deals from the other micro parties. Not  sure how it does fix that, the senate preference system is like the Da Vinci code I reckon.

The main problem is choosing 6 parties that you'd want to vote for. I guess you end up choosing the 6 least worst, or the ones with the most  comical names. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think the change is  in order to try to fix the issue where micro parties can get in with a hand full of primary votes and a heap of preference deals from the other micro parties. Not  sure how it does fix that, the senate preference system is like the Da Vinci code I reckon.

The combination of all those micro parties and preferential voting is crazy - maybe even crazier than the US Electoral College.

It feels like it's only a matter of time before preferences are bought and sold on the ASX.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ha ha, see you THINK you have it all sussed and then they go changing it on you!

THIS year you've got to pick at least 6 from above the line or at least 12 below it.    https://www.aec.gov.au/voting/how_to_vote/voting_senate.htm

The main problem is choosing 6 parties that you'd want to vote for. I guess you end up choosing the 6 least worst, or the ones with the most  comical names. 

Ooops, you're correct. I was reading off the photo, which must be from the previous election. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The combination of all those micro parties and preferential voting is crazy - maybe even crazier than the US Electoral College.

It feels like it's only a matter of time before preferences are bought and sold on the ASX.

Already happening. Do a search on 'Preference Whisperer'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2019 at 19:49, talisman56 said:

So you think voting is a chore?

But some make a big deal out of voting and take it very seriously indeed. Even grateful for the privilege.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/election-2019/2019/05/15/polling-booths-on-antarctic-ice-the-extraordinary-places-australians-are-casting-a-vote/

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Didn't realise that kangaroos could make beer...

Oh Dear,!!!!!!

:D

Mike

image.png

Myponga Roos are smarter

image.png

Edited by ikks
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Didn't realise that kangaroos could make beer...

Horses make the beer for Budweiser; why do you think that A-B has so many of those Clydedales?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

On 15/05/2019 at 10:49, talisman56 said:

How ever do the Aussies (a) have time to vote, and (b) decide who to vote for?

Let's face it, voting is hardly time consuming, it takes two minutes. You can even do a postal vote if you are that pushed for time. I would also say that PR (or AV etc) gives more of a choice and more change for varied political parties to get a foothold, thereby offering voters the chance to choose from a wider variety of parties and pick one that most closely aligns with their viewpoint. 

Was thinking of putting something on the coalition on Friday when they were paying $5.75 but thought I'd be wasting my money.

Oh well, at least I didn't spend $80 million and drive everyone crazy with ads every 30 seconds unlike some.. (and then not win any seats anyway!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Well I am in Chisholm one, if not the, most marginal electorates in the country... must give the members a real sense of accomplishment to get in by at last 160 votes after 37000. I love watching the news with close run nature and the reporters getting wrong. No one will call this for a while. 

My boss pointed out  this morning with the large number Chinese voters in my electorate, how many voted for friends and family?  may be we need to change to photo ID to actually vote... we need 100 points every time we open a bank account etc so why not? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DougN said:

Maybe we need to change to photo ID to actually vote... we need 100 points every time we open a bank account etc so why not? 

Why, how long would that take?

There is no evidence that our actual voting method is being rorted, as in voting more than once, for dead people etc.

At least we have a federal government system, with the same rules applying throughout the country. Unlike the Americans, who do it, as a bunch of 50 states, with different dates for preliminaries and rules as to who can vote etc.

ps, for this election, I didn't here the usual moans in the media, about using the supplied pencils!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Agree 1

Kev, the biggest problem is the length of the senate vote vs the width of voting booth..... 

I guess your right even if you voted 20 times in an election in one seat it is unlikely to throw the result (except in Chisholm) but you have to drive around a fair bit and it would only confuse the AEC computer when they are scaned the rolls. Then again this I guess is off set by the number of Democracy sausages that the individual would have had to have had!  to throw the result you would need a number of people doing it.. and to be honest who could be bothered! 

• Like 1

When I looked earlier, there was 0.2% difference between the two main protagonists in Chisholm.

p.s. I, too, had difficulty with the width of the paper compared to the width of the booth! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SRman said:

When I looked earlier, there was 0.2% difference between the two main protagonists in Chisholm.

p.s. I, too, had difficulty with the width of the paper compared to the width of the booth! :D

Macquarie now much closer, 12 in it!

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...