The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Haven't done the steak thing, but all the biros in the B family vehicles are permanently banana shaped.

The heat that builds up in parked vehicles can be useful though. Back when I was a company rep in the Goldfields I'd get back into my car following a site visit, with my accompanying cloud of flies. Over the next minute or two the flies would fall out of the air as they cooked in their own exoskeletons. Score one for the internal temperature regulation and substantial heat capacity of the large, warm-blooded mammal. On with the aircon and away I'd go in an insect free cocoon.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Haven't done the steak thing, but all the biros in the B family vehicles are permanently banana shaped.

The heat that builds up in parked vehicles can be useful though. Back when I was a company rep in the Goldfields I'd get back into my car following a site visit, with my accompanying cloud of flies. Over the next minute or two the flies would fall out of the air as they cooked in their own exoskeletons. Score one for the internal temperature regulation and substantial heat capacity of the large, warm-blooded mammal. On with the aircon and away I'd go in an insect free cocoon.

You've still got to clear out the dead flies from the car though.

During boring lessons at school we'd trap a fly each, pull a hair from the head of a random girl with long hair (we'd sit behind them for that purpose), tie one end around the flies neck and thus have a miniature fly on a leash - kind of like a little dog but with wings.

Unless you tied the hair too tight and its head came off. Or the teacher spotted it and sent you off to Mr Haskew for the cane. 

Ahh, the 70's - a cruel time but fun.

Edited by monkeysarefun

Eagles (I think)in a park not far from home. There are HT power lines through this park & the powers that be have erected a tall pole with a platform on top for them to nest on.

The one on the right looks like it might be a youngster

attachicon.gifEagles.jpg

John

Ospreys, I'd say - looking healthy and happier than up a pine tree in Scotland!

• RMweb Gold

After 46 years, I still try unsuccessfully to spit the b***tards out!

Best option is to just throw up(chunder}, that gets rid of the bast-ards..........did it years ago on Mount Buller in the summer when the air was thick with them!!.......then have a beer :no:

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Best option is to just throw up(chunder}, that gets rid of the bast-ards..........did it years ago on Mount Buller in the summer when the air was thick with them!!.......then have a beer :no:

Mike

So you use swallowing a fly as a need for a beer? I'll have a beer on its own, thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So you use swallowing a fly as a need for a beer? I'll have a beer on its own, thanks!

Never needed an excuse for having a beer......in this instance just took away the taste :angel:  :angel:

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Never needed an excuse for having a beer......in this instance just took away the taste :angel:  :angel:

Mike

I've never really been into drinking, although I do on occasion. As a self employed tradie, I know what is more important to me. Especially in Victoria now, its an instant loss of licence, for even the slightest bit over .05.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gents, send some of your excess heat our way please. Snowing here ar the mo and the brass monkeys are frantically looking for a welder...

Baz

Up in the North West Leeds Highlands

• RMweb Gold

I've never really been into drinking, although I do on occasion. As a self employed tradie, I know what is more important to me. Especially in Victoria now, its an instant loss of licence, for even the slightest bit over .05.

I don't actually think that's a bad thing, they are tightening up here in South Aussie too, a worrying factor though, is that drug driving is increasing exponentially. 

When I first came to Australia in 1971, the first thing you would put in the car in preparation for a long trip would be a carton of cans or stubbies, the second thing would be an esky full of ice to keep them cool for the journey........How times have changed, thank goodness!!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Snake swallowing another snake spotted on farmer's property in South Australia

Updated 8 Jan 2019, 1:49pm

Who'd.be a Joe Blake, if the Kookaburras and the farmers don't get you..........your best mate wll :O  :O 

A South Australian farmer has stumbled across a brown snake eating another brown snake.

Shaun Taylor, from Bordertown in the state's south-east, was testing moisture levels in hay bales when he almost stepped on the snakes.

"Initially I didn't know what was actually happening because all I could see was one head and two tails," he said.

"On a bit of a closer inspection I realised that one of the adult snakes was actually eating the other, fairly large, adult snake that was not that different in size."

Mr Taylor said snakes usually slither out of his way before he has a chance to see them.

"The biggest scare was that it was actually still sitting there only about two or three metres away from me," he said.

"The snake was definitely aware of my presence, so I kept a safe distance and just let it do its thing."

Mr Taylor said when he first came across the eastern brown snakes, one was curled around the other and the second snake was not moving.

He said when he returned to the scene after about half an hour both of the creatures were gone.

Brown snakes often eat each other

James Nankivell, who is studying snakes at the University of Adelaide, said it was not uncommon for snakes to cannibalise one another.

"The most unusual thing about this is the fact that the snakes are pretty much the same size," he said.

"More frequently you would see a larger snake eating a smaller snake that it comes across.

"Snakes in general are quite opportunistic.

"Brown snakes are large, they're generalists, they'll try and eat anything smaller than them.

"Brown snakes have been recorded eating other snakes reasonably frequently, both the same species or other, smaller species, and have been recorded being eaten by other species."

Mr Nankivell said the snake may have found the animal too large to process and could have regurgitated it at a later stage

Mike

• Like 3

Snake swallowing another snake spotted on farmer's property in South Australia

Updated 8 Jan 2019, 1:49pm

Who'd.be a Joe Blake, if the Kookaburras and the farmers don't get you..........your best mate wll :O  :O 

A South Australian farmer has stumbled across a brown snake eating another brown snake.

Shaun Taylor, from Bordertown in the state's south-east, was testing moisture levels in hay bales when he almost stepped on the snakes.

"Initially I didn't know what was actually happening because all I could see was one head and two tails," he said.

"On a bit of a closer inspection I realised that one of the adult snakes was actually eating the other, fairly large, adult snake that was not that different in size."

Mr Taylor said snakes usually slither out of his way before he has a chance to see them.

"The biggest scare was that it was actually still sitting there only about two or three metres away from me," he said.

"The snake was definitely aware of my presence, so I kept a safe distance and just let it do its thing."

Mr Taylor said when he first came across the eastern brown snakes, one was curled around the other and the second snake was not moving.

He said when he returned to the scene after about half an hour both of the creatures were gone.

Brown snakes often eat each other

James Nankivell, who is studying snakes at the University of Adelaide, said it was not uncommon for snakes to cannibalise one another.

"The most unusual thing about this is the fact that the snakes are pretty much the same size," he said.

"More frequently you would see a larger snake eating a smaller snake that it comes across.

"Snakes in general are quite opportunistic.

"Brown snakes are large, they're generalists, they'll try and eat anything smaller than them.

"Brown snakes have been recorded eating other snakes reasonably frequently, both the same species or other, smaller species, and have been recorded being eaten by other species."

Mr Nankivell said the snake may have found the animal too large to process and could have regurgitated it at a later stage

Mike

Well I'd say that would be the best time to stumble across a brown snake.

It can't bite *you* if it's still got 1/2m of snake hanging out it's mouth.

• Like 1