The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Do you still need a criminal record to go there ? ...............................................

But a large percentage of those transported, were for petty theft, such as stealing food for their families, when there was no welfare system.

Whereas those for more serious crimes, who didn't get caught, remained in the UK and have descendants!

Me, my parents were 10 pound Poms. I was 15 when we came here.

• Like 3

I was travelling in Oz during 1998/99 on a work visa...luckily we had our own car (Falcon XE Estate!) so managed to see a lot of stuff well off the beaten track where the Greyhound buses etc don't go...really need to get a scanner and put some photos up somewhere too.

Among other things I remember seeing ex-GWR Pendennis Castle in a chicken wire shed outside Karratha IIRC...the museum wasn't open but the fence was fairly insubstantial and I wasn't going to miss the chance of exploring all the retired diesels from Hammersley Iron etc.

Other stuff I managed to find were the Dutch flying boat wrecks straffed by the Japanese in Broome harbour during WW2...we ran out with the twice yearly spring tide at 5am one morning when they are uncovered and sprinted back as the incoming tide came back rapidly back in...for a lifelong non swimmer it was quite unnerving as walking back at a stroll was definetly not an option!

Perhaps somewhat annoyingly I discovered a few years ago that my father (a driver at Eastleigh/Basingstoke) had the opportunity to move to the Pilbara with moving expenses paid in the 1970's for one of the mining companies...I was a baby at the time and my mother didn't want to make such a move though...having said that I rarely visit the New Forest or Isle of Wight that are local to me now and I'd look bloody daft in WA style shorts with knee length socks :no:

• Like 6

I had my Falcon X_D wagon for 21 years. SWMBO tried to kill it several times but it just kept on going. Sold it eventually unregistered to an acquaintance who needed something reasonably heavy-duty to cart bus parts around.

Next I had a 1994 VR Commodore wagon - which was unremarkable but very competent - I didn't really 'bond' with it though.

I now have a Lancer hatchback (they call it a sportsback), which I like but I do miss the extra space and ruggedness of the larger wagons.

I do still have a Falcon though, a 1973 XB hardtop. It doesn't go very far nowadays but is still registered and roadworthy, and nice to drive occasionally, but not really a car for heavy traffic. It still has one of the best ride qualities of any car (doesn't handle like modern cars though! :D )

Edit: the editor thinks the X_D without the underscore is an emoji, so had to edit. Here's what it does without the underscore ... xD 

:scratchhead:

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

I've never had a Falcon.  My father had a 1970 Holden Premier in the early 70s, which I frequently drove.  Nice car, although the gearchange (3 speed column shift) was not one of the best.  Two cars before the Holden, he had an Austin Freeway station wagon.  No estate cars though.....

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

I had a XB Coupe, back in the early 90's, that was a Beast, 351 cu in, T bar Auto., Now drive a Pajero, 4x4, Great for towing Caravans, but not a patch on the XB.

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oz is a big place unless you are a UK SAGA tourist...21 days means you have been everywhere and seen everything..mostly by coach.

Planning our next visit to see a bit more of the place....

Baz

• Like 2

Oz is a big place unless you are a UK SAGA tourist...21 days means you have been everywhere and seen everything..mostly by coach.

Baz

Definitely try to get to Tassie..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand it gets a bit wet there ..or at least the T20 cricket pitches do....

But yes we would like to visit Tassie...

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tassie is a magical place, been there twice, once in the Winter and once in the Summer, both times beautiful but Summer is more comfortable to enjoy the bushwalks and outdoor activities.

Rgds..........Mike

• Like 2

Baz

Baz drop a line on here when in Melbourne and you could met a few of the authors here on... we may be able to get a model railway or 2 with BRMA...

Regards

• Like 1

Manna, you and I both know that it gets a bit warm here in Australia... only a balmy 38.9degrees here in sunny down town Melbourne. It is a bit sad for the chocolate to have wilted so badly on the shelf though!

• Like 3

Manna, you and I both know that it gets a bit warm here in Australia... only a balmy 38.9degrees here in sunny down town Melbourne. It is a bit sad for the chocolate to have wilted so badly on the shelf though!

We all know it melts below human body temperature (37.1°C), specifically between 30°C and 32°C. Anything approaching 40°C will do that.

We all know it melts below human body temperature (37.1°C), specifically between 30°C and 32°C. Anything approaching 40°C will do that.

And above human body temperature, the human body starts to melt too!  :jester: