The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Gone now! It's reverted to a Homebase a little while ago.

Our Homebase, Just down the road from me had become a Bunnings a few months ago when I last visited.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/wesfarmers-abandons-bunnings-uk-expansion-offloads-homebase-in-400-million-disaster/news-story/16f03de7fe6c3bac3695ad80da46facb

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Probably sums up what most people down here are thinking right about  now - but warning  - contains extreme Australian words  (don't play it in front of Gran maybe...)...

That sheila ROCKS!

Definitely a chip off the old block :D

Probably sums up what most people down here are thinking right about  now - but warning  - contains extreme Australian words  (don't play it in front of Gran maybe...)...

Pity we ain't got a UK version.

Been meaning to ask you Monkeysarefun... did you make it to the BRMA convention in Sydney? 

The fact that I had to look up what the BRMA was I guess means that I didn't.....

My dad would have been a contender I reckon, I'd have mentioned it to him if I'd known about it,  though maybe its just as well I didn't - he's 81 now and is downsizing his life in  preparation to moving into a smaller place. Which means his lifetimes collection of British rolling stock had to go last year. (40 or 50 locos for a start, 1970's and '80's Wren etc - still all in their original boxes)

He wanted to give it all away since cataloguing it all and finding people to sell it to was apparently too big a job.

I think a collector gave him an offer of about a tenth what it was all worth which he was happy with. Taking him to a British modelling convention might  have  lit the fire again and had him buying stuff once more, which would have really impressed my stepmum!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The fact that I had to look up what the BRMA was I guess means that I didn't.....

My dad would have been a contender I reckon, I'd have mentioned it to him if I'd known about it,  though maybe its just as well I didn't - he's 81 now and is downsizing his life in  preparation to moving into a smaller place. Which means his lifetimes collection of British rolling stock had to go last year. (40 or 50 locos for a start, 1970's and '80's Wren etc - still all in their original boxes)

He wanted to give it all away since cataloguing it all and finding people to sell it to was apparently too big a job.

I think a collector gave him an offer of about a tenth what it was all worth which he was happy with. Taking him to a British modelling convention might  have  lit the fire again and had him buying stuff once more, which would have really impressed my stepmum!

Sad that he didn't do something with his collection earlier. Many do so as a retirement project.

Sad that he didn't do something with his collection earlier. Many do so as a retirement project.

He still has his layout in the rumpus room, no scenery other than the buildings I made back in the '70's whenever Allan Downes had an article in the Railway Modeller that I'd follow.  Got into trouble for nicking the fish tank pebbles to carry out his dry stone wall article. 

Back to my dads layout - he reckons that he has to keep that because he has several Railway modelling friends of a similar vintage to him who havealready  made the move to a retirement home but kept their favourite locos etc, and need a place to run them.

I'm thinking that could be  bit of a business to get into, make a travelling layout and do the retirement home circuit, charging the modellers a few bucks to run their locos for an hour or so...

• Like 2

Speaking of selling stuff, the time has come to sell the  ute.

6 litres of V8 manual-ness  Powerchip and catback exhaust - 297KW and 0-100km in 4.9 secs meant that I took stuff to the tip really quickly but I haven't used it to its full potential so its like a greyhound liiving in a high rise  unit or something .

An eagle in a little cage etc etc.

2010 model, has 29,000km on the clock, of which I have done 4000 of them since I bought it in 2013.

Or should I just hang on to it until all the other utes go the usual way - get bought by P platers who crash them and eventually I'll make a killing due to its rarity?

For instance I had an Lj GTR Torana that I traded for a second hand Honda Pelude in 1985... that Torana would be worth heaps  or so now, but what a\bout  the Prelude?

Just checked on the internet - 98K for a LJ GTR....?????  https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/holden/torana/

This could be the chance of a lifetime for someone - in 20 years time when theres no V8's left  and you don't need to lug your 6 by 4 layout around at really high speeds (on the retirement home circuit maybe...) you can sell it and make a killing

post-22541-0-79025700-1539864114_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-04021100-1539864197_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-43316900-1539864296_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-79025700-1539864114_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-04021100-1539864197_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-43316900-1539864296_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of selling stuff, the time has come to sell the  ute.

6 litres of V8 manual-ness  Powerchip and catback exhaust - 297KW and 0-100km in 4.9 secs meant that I took stuff to the tip really quickly but I haven't used it to its full potential so its like a greyhound liiving in a high rise  unit or something .

An eagle in a little cage etc etc.

2010 model, has 29,000km on the clock, of which I have done 4000 of them since I bought it in 2013.

Or should I just hang on to it until all the other utes go the usual way - get bought by P platers who crash them and eventually I'll make a killing due to its rarity?

For instance I had an Lj GTR Torana that I traded for a second hand Honda Pelude in 1985... that Torana would be worth heaps  or so now, but what a\bout  the Prelude?

Just checked on the internet - 98K for a LJ GTR....?????  https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/holden/torana/

This could be the chance of a lifetime for someone - in 20 years time when theres no V8's left  and you don't need to lug your 6 by 4 layout around at really high speeds (on the retirement home circuit maybe...) you can sell it and make a killing

attachicon.gifIMAG0671.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0670 (1024x579).jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0672.jpg

I wonder how much it would cost to import it into the UK?

Monkeysarefun... I would be tempted but I rather like breathing and keeping all my Blood inside my body and not end up dead in a shallow grave......The other half would kill me....

Mind you it would fit in at work  (2 No new GTSR's in bright green, O- licence lost in no time flat)... they go FAST... and they also have marks on the windscreens where people have head butted them when the driver stands on the brake! 

• Like 2

Here's one for you then if you prefer drum brakes to avoid the windscreen damage !

Can't believe what the price is up to especially considering that it would be unlikely to appeal to any International buyer in the way that a classic Aston, Porsche, Ferrari and so on would...

https://www.auctionator.com/LotDetails.aspx?smode=5&lid=1583977

Ah, the early '70's - those were the days...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Have you ever bought something ages ago and forgotten about it so when you stumble upon it unexpectedly its the best feeling in the world, like a surprise present to yourself or something?

Well I was going through an old box of stuff I'd packed up about 3 years ago before redecorating and found this - still wrapped in plastic!

post-22541-0-77647600-1539944426.jpg

Anyone else watch this back in the day - the early '70's when you weren't busy crashing your overpowered car into a tree or getting your birthday coming up in the lottery so it was off to fight in Nam?

Jack Thompson in his prime and that other bloke whose name  I can't remember fighting off the dastardly Japanese  and still having time to flirt with the navy chick... Its a rainy weekend forecast here so this is what I'll be doing!

Here is a  bit off youtube that someone has filmed off their telly using a steam powered camera  phone to show the rest of the world what they missed back then..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Here's one for you then if you prefer drum brakes to avoid the windscreen damage !

Can't believe what the price is up to especially considering that it would be unlikely to appeal to any International buyer in the way that a classic Aston, Porsche, Ferrari and so on would...

https://www.auctionator.com/LotDetails.aspx?smode=5&lid=1583977

Ah, the early '70's - those were the days...

AT $1,570,000 someone else can have it. :)

AT $1,570,000 someone else can have it. :)

Ha you cheapskate, it went for 2 mil. Maybe you could fork out for one of the phase 3 hoeys that got auctioned off after that, they were all in 6 figure povo territory.

Here's a link to the auction,

https://www.facebook.com/LloydsAuctions/videos/818419541822718/

the phase 4 is around the 30 minute mark, and Allan Moffit pops up to bring the hammer down on it. Strewth, first John Howard tottering around Wentworth earlier in the week, now Allan Moffit... I feel like times gone backwards or I'm Dr Who or something.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just caught Fozzy Bear  Scott Morrisons speech following the election result, warning about big bad Labor. Here it is in case you missed it..

ScoMo at his best..........whatever that is :scratchhead:, good one monkeys. Kerryn Phelps was given an armchair ride by the inept :scared: thank goodness!!!!!

Mike