The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly not boring is it! I have been listening about all the shenanigans on the World Service during breakfast over the last few mornings. May you livein interesting times as they say... At least there is no imminent comeback for Tony Abbott on the cards, something to feel positive about!

But the issues within the government are far from resolved. Expect more of the same, backed up by the media, especially the Murdoch based media.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/conservative-media-attacks-look-set-to-continue-under-scott-morrison-20180824-p4zzlp.html

• Like 1

It's certainly not boring is it! I have been listening about all the shenanigans on the World Service during breakfast over the last few mornings. May you livein interesting times as they say... At least there is no imminent comeback for Tony Abbott on the cards, something to feel positive about!

I wonder if Johnny Howard is planning a comeback special?

• Like 1

...and so, as Australia's fifth PM in eight years settles in, the question I'm asking is "Has Australia turned into Italy?"

By law we must have a general election by the middle of next year, there's almost a certainty we'll see a new one then.  

But that in no way eliminates the real possibility that the hard right factions will try and usurp the sitting PM one more time before then.

By law we must have a general election by the middle of next year, there's almost a certainty we'll see a new one then.  

But that in no way eliminates the real possibility that the hard right factions will try and usurp the sitting PM one more time before then.

Fantastic. I can't wait to see what happens next. Never thought I'd see the day when Australian government is about as stable as an Italian motorway bridge*.

Italians must look on this with envy and wish they could revert to the halcyon* days of the 1970s when they were changing government roughly every 18 months...

*too soon?

• Like 1

Well going from the 40 -45 result they only need 3 MP's to change their vote.....

Hate how the overseas press headlines it in terms like "Australians change PM yet again" and so on, as though its we ordinary Australians spending our time undermining and plotting and planning.. 

Pity we can't co-ordinate ourselves so every Newspoll etc the responders give 100% support to the sitting government - there'd  be no more leadership squabbles and it would be massive fun at election day seeing the pollies faces  when everyone actually votes the way they feel.

• Like 2

Fantastic. I can't wait to see what happens next. Never thought I'd see the day when Australian government is about as stable as an Italian motorway bridge*.

Italians must look on this with envy and wish they could revert to the halcyon* days of the 1970s when they were changing government roughly every 18 months...

*too soon?

We had 25 PM's in the first 106 years, then 5 since 2010..  On those rates we will all get a go at some point.

• Like 2

We had 25 PM's in the first 106 years, then 5 since 2010.. On those rates we will all get a go at some point.

Well I can do Tuesday week, or I might be able to juggle the diary to get a couple of half days in in October. Can't do weekends though, cos I'm working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I can do Tuesday week, or I might be able to juggle the diary to get a couple of half days in in October. Can't do weekends though, cos I'm working.

Don't be so dismissive. At the current rate of $527,852 per annum. That works out at $1446 per day. at that rate you could give up a shift or two every so often.

Edit to add

You don't get paid extra, for all the time spent plotting against your party members, who from day one, will be sharping their knives.

Never mind the Opposition, they just insult you in Parliament and look for dirt, that you have 'forgotten' about.

Edited by kevinlms

We had 25 PM's in the first 106 years, then 5 since 2010..  On those rates we will all get a go at some point.

I'll need to skip my allocated term as PM as I have no intention of cancelling my British (dual Australian) citizenship.

• Like 3

I'll need to skip my allocated term as PM as I have no intention of cancelling my British (dual Australian) citizenship.

I would fall foul of that one too (actually I'm a British citizen with permanent residency rights, as I came here in 1958, when immigration rules were a bit different and British and Australian citizenship were considered to be more or less the same thing).  Mind you, if either of my daughters decide to take up politics (not that I expect they would) they would have to do something about their dual citizenship first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could always try it on! See how many years you can get away with it for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh my God, it just gets better!!

image.jpeg

News has just come out that Julia Banks is not going to stand at the next election, over the shambles.

Mind you, as an example of how out of touch the LNP are, she did claim that she 'could easily live on the dole'. This is currently $40 a day and way below the poverty line.

• Like 2