The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

I watched a Russel Coight episode last night and had some genuine laughs out of it. It is available on Channel 10's 'tenplay' site. However, I'm not sure if anyone outside of Australia can access this (could someone try it and advise me, please?).

https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/russell-coights-all-aussie-adventures

They are also on youtube, though again not sure if they are region locked..

• Like 2

Sorry guys all are region blocked. I just checked. The link given by both SR man and monkeysarefun comes up "page unavailable" "not available in your region".

regards

Thanks for checking, and sorry about that. We'll have to try another way of getting some jen-ewe-wine Australiana into your lives. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nineteen votes!

Nigel Farage's citizen application is in the post!

C6T.

To be fair, that's partly a result of how the Senate voting system works. If you vote above the line (which most people do), those votes automatically get allocated in the order of how they appear in the Parties list, i.e. Malcolm Roberts was first & Anning 2nd, in the Pauline Hanson One Nation party list. Even the major parties get few votes (although much more than 19) for 2nd & 3rd etc. Excess votes for the first one, once the quota is met flow on to the next and so on. It also explains why oddballs, such as Eric Abetz, get elected, because the Liberals have put him top of their list, so he easily retains his seat. :-(

You can choose to vote below the line, in which case you must vote for all of them in order of your preference. In some states, this often exceeds 100.

Of course Anning had a big bust up with PH and promptly resigned, before he was even sworn in!

Note I'm not writing any of this to support him. I can't stand anything whatsoever to do with Pauline Hanson and I make sure that I vote in such a way, that my vote does not contribute to their success.

That makes my head hurt...

Nigel's Party polled 4m votes last time around but only won one seat, for a guy who then left that party.

The end result of the previous general election's raison d'etre (the destruction of Nigel's Party) though was Brexit, which hasn't been nearly as funny.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

That makes my head hurt...

Nigel's Party polled 4m votes last time around but only won one seat, for a guy who then left that party.

The end result of the previous general election's raison d'etre (the destruction of Nigel's Party) though was Brexit, which hasn't been nearly as funny.

C6T.

I'll ask you questions later, to see how much you took in!

• RMweb Gold

Hasn't Australia got enough poisonous slimy creatures already?

Yes but the most slimy, dangerous and poisonous ones wear big hats or budgie smugglers and work in Canberra.

Mike

• Like 1

Y'know, life might have been more interesting if the name for the then new government capital had been Sydmeladperbrisho instead of Canberra....

Foreigners would still pronounce it incorrectly, like they do with the current set.

Can-berra / Canbra

Bris-bane / Brizb'n

Mel-born / Melb'n

Foreigners would still pronounce it incorrectly, like they do with the current set.

Can-berra / Canbra

Bris-bane / Brizb'n

Mel-born / Melb'n

The Suffolk effect! Linguistic "experts" seem to be of the combined opinion sheep farmers from my part of East Anglia had more influence on the Australian accent than any other influx of people. It's apparently moreso in Taz.

Your examples:

Can-berra / Canbra

Bris-bane / Brizb'n

Mel-born / Melb'n

Accepted Suffolk like what we say buh:

Low-est-oft/Lowstoft

Yar-mouth/Yarmuff

Felix-toe/Flixtow

Elms-well/Ems'll

Stow-up-land/Stupl'n

I'm half 'strailian already buh!

C6T.

Yes I CAN see the Suffolk connection, but also at times we do sound  Shakespearean, like here, which is just like that stirring St Crispins Day  bit in Henry 5th where he tells all his men they've got to hold their cheap manhoods or something

: (warning contains rude words. Only TWO rude words ....

..repeated a heap of times..)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

Yes I CAN see the Suffolk connection, but also at times we do sound  Shakespearean, like here, which is just like that stirring St Crispins Day  bit in Henry 5th where he tells all his men they've got to hold their cheap manhoods or something

: (warning contains rude words. Only TWO rude words ....

..repeated a heap of times..)

Seeing that, I really don't know why CUB bothered with John Meillon and his "hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer" ads. They could have just run that clip. Would have sold a shedload of VB, no worries.

Seeing that, I really don't know why CUB bothered with John Meillon and his "hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer" ads. They could have just run that clip. Would have sold a shedload of VB, no worries.

Or they could just have tried making the stuff fit to drink, rather than useful only as slug traps.