The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• 2 weeks later...

Could be a scary place if you're a train driver...

https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/643773/rio-tinto-world-biggest-robot-makes-first-driverless-delivery/

but maybe a great place to actually use model train driving skills in the real world!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Could be a scary place if you're a train driver...

https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/643773/rio-tinto-world-biggest-robot-makes-first-driverless-delivery/

but maybe a great place to actually use model train driving skills in the real world!

Thats one train you won't want to beat to a level crossing, there aint anyone going to sound the horn or put the brakes on.

When the US Marines started doing rotations to Oz in the 80's to work with the Royal Australian Regiment, they were warned about "Drop Bears".

They were a little bit dubious until one night a pair of Brawling possums fell onto a tent some of them were sharing.

Now possums have pretty fierce claws and can shred tents along with most other things, In the dark the Yank's first thoughts turned to Drop Bears and of course no one thought to tell them the truth....

Of course on returning home they perpetuated the story and the next load of Yanks didn't even need to be fed the Drop Bear warnings, they were already stressed about them on arrival. :D

I was in Spt Coy 8/9 RAR when our battalion hosted the first USMC exchange company for exercise Kangaroo 81. The other dangerous animal we told them about was the hoop snake, far more dangerous that the Inland Taipan, the worlds most venomous snake, or the Eastern Brown snake, the third most venomous snake, as the hoop snake could coil itself and spring into the air holding itself into a circle and roll after you downhill.

I bloke at tech in 1982 bought a scruffy white one - , he paid $4500 for it and we thought he was insane..

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Monaro-1970/SSE-AD-5428823/?Cr=0

Prices seem to have come off a bit of late. 10 Years or so ago I remember seeing a Torana XU1 with some (not particularly big name) history up for $375k. Whether it sold I don't know, but the fact that someone felt able to advertise it for roughly twice what my house was worth at the time speaks volumes.

• Like 1

I was in Spt Coy 8/9 RAR when our battalion hosted the first USMC exchange company for exercise Kangaroo 81. The other dangerous animal we told them about was the hoop snake, far more dangerous that the Inland Taipan, the worlds most venomous snake, or the Eastern Brown snake, the third most venomous snake, as the hoop snake could coil itself and spring into the air holding itself into a circle and roll after you downhill.

Hoop snakes included in this study, it seems.. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00049182.2012.731307

Sorry, but for me the poisonous spiders under the toilet seat, still take the biscuit..

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

Kev thats a bit harsh all the pollies are doing is looking for the gravy train! Look at them all jumping on the poor sprinter service down at Baxter... tell me that most of the land isn't owned by the political party members or associates????? A new sparkie line is needed down there but why not go all the way to Hastings! Oh maybe they should get rid of the level crossings before they do!  (wow that almost got back on topic of trains!) 

The poor snake however is being dug out of home for the Bauxite! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kev thats a bit harsh all the pollies are doing is looking for the gravy train! Look at them all jumping on the poor sprinter service down at Baxter... tell me that most of the land isn't owned by the political party members or associates????? A new sparkie line is needed down there but why not go all the way to Hastings! Oh maybe they should get rid of the level crossings before they do! (wow that almost got back on topic of trains!)

The poor snake however is being dug out of home for the Bauxite!

The rest of the line to Hastings? If they did it in one go, there would be no more MP photo opportunities for the next 10 elections! Cynical, me never.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The emus eat you out of house and home, the cassowaries simply kick you to death.

Many years ago a friend of my family's 10 year old son was trying to get a photograph of an emu that was walking along the road. As he lined the emu up, it kept on slowly advancing on 10 year old, so he kept on backing away, all the time trying to focus his camera on the bird. eventually, the boy backed over a small log and landed on his back in a ditch, at which point the emu lost interest and walked off into the bush. The rest of us showed our extreme sympathy for the boy by laughing our heads off!

• Like 2