The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Well that video will if it I still happening here end up with the RSPCA which won't get a swift action. I know of some one who wrote a report on a live animal export 14 years ago and only now are the public starting to make an issue about it! The national chief vet was kicked out a few years ago due to the industry power with Barny of all people.... because she wanted something done about the animal cruelty in the live export.

The good news is something is now starting to happen!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I watched 45 seconds of that before I had to stop it. Horrendous, I felt sick.

Haven't seen it, but just read an article by a farmer involved with the exporting. He says the trade has to continue in these 'hard times', but with stronger safe guards and proper inspections. He is disgusted too.

The sooner they can get a chilled boxed meat market going, the better.

A suspect though the customer won't want to pay extra for the service.

Edited by kevinlms

Kevin, I am not sure if you are aware, boxed frozen meat is a heap more efficient. IE 20 ton of frozen meat in a single container VS 40ton on the hoof.... yes 50%of the beast is not really usable ie the majority of the bones, the hide etc. The individual I know has said the entire processing of the beast is better done here in Australia. there are more humane safe guards. I will pass the video along to him and see what his thoughts are. I would say he would think these are unusual events from uneducated individuals. 

In support of our farmers the majority want the best for their animals as it is there livelihood and they have cared for them up to the point where they are shipped off. They certainly don't want any type of cruelty as it damages their product and lively hood!

• Like 1

I've had croc and, done properly, it's very nice indeed. More akin to a good, firm white fish than to any meat I can think of. However, it does seem to be quite easy to turn it into flavourless leather instead.

I fear going to Australia if this is how they produce their cheap supermarket meat 

(Warning: NOT for the faint hearted. Contains scenes of extreme violence to farm animals)

https://youtu.be/LitsXZDi0QU

No different here. In fact the RSPCA won't do anything about it because one of their main patrons adheres to barbarity principles. I daren't elaborate because I'm on here to talk about toy trains rather than animal rights and/or Neanderthal doctrines.

Back on topic, been down under twice and loved it. Hell, the Newport Workshops (Melbourne) is a must-see for any self-respecting crank and even in NSW they still have Met-Vick Wirescrapers, and some tasty ALCOs, albeit largely stuffed and mounted.

Two things that struck me about Oz though.

1. It's like here, only with better weather.

2. They have reverse liveried magpies.

• Like 5

The spread of cane toads. Probably covered in earlier postings....

To combine this with the previous posts about eating wildlife,  our food boffins  have invented a canetoad sausage....

https://www.giving.uts.edu.au/projects-and-causes/cane-toad-sausage-might-save-the-northern-quoll-from-extinction

Glad I found this on youtube,  I first saw it back in the late '80's when it came out - , its still one of the most entertaining documentaries I've ever seen:

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To combine this with the previous posts about eating wildlife,  our food boffins  have invented a canetoad sausage....

https://www.giving.uts.edu.au/projects-and-causes/cane-toad-sausage-might-save-the-northern-quoll-from-extinction

That experiment was shown on an ABC documentary last year. After the quolls had eaten the toad sausage the researchers peeked into their sleeping boxes - I recognised the expression on the quolls faces - bad kebab, BAD KEBAB!

There's a few in quiet spots around here, I braked hard one night near my brother's house (Terrigal NSW) to avoid one, sadly within a month someone else had skittled the poor thing.

Michael

• Like 2

Having eaten at outback roadhouses I'm plagued by visions of their junior employees being sent out to collect toad sausages so that the proprietor can fill up the bain-marie at zero cost :O.