The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

This afternoon, watched a programme on TV all about the World's smallest wild cats and how deadly they were as predators..

Well, I thought, if they were Australian, they'd be one up on every other countries wild cats because, and is par for the course anyway, match the  Brown Snake and then some for most venomous critter to be found anywhere in Oz but,  and of course, specializing in outside dunnies where they could get a real good bite without detection where the victim would be dead long before they even had time to wipe there arse.

Allan  

Funny how everyone here is denying that they watch 'Neighbours', but they know all the details. Just saying!

I didn't know that Pin Oak Court was where the house shots of Neighbours was made, until a late taxi driver friend, happened to mention that it was a popular tourist destination, especially for people from the UK. Taxi drivers all knew exactly where it was.

I took my sister on a tour of the location, seeing as we were driving nearly past it on the way to Glen Waverley. They were just setting up for filming, and my sister got all excited and called out, "There's Harold." I said, "Who?", much to her disgust! I really don't know the characters at all, just the locations. :D

Apparently, the home owners in Pin Oak Court are paid to keep the external appearances of their homes and gardens looking the same as always for continuity in the filming. Interior shots are all studio sets, though.

A train has crashed into the buffers at Richmond, NSW today. The 10:00 train to Central failed to brake coming into Richmond Station, and subsequently smashed into the buffers although not derailing. The train did however buckle at certain points, and 16 passengers were injured. The worst injury recorded was a fractured leg. Emergency services were swift and got there only 10 minutes after it happened.

Read More At: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/sydney-train-crashes-at-richmond-station-injuring-passengers/9348398

....I didn't know that Pin Oak Court was where the house shots of Neighbours was made, until a late taxi driver friend, happened to mention that it was a popular tourist destination, especially for people from the UK. Taxi drivers all knew exactly where it was.

I didn't know either until DougN took me there. On the day I went, there was a tour group walking up and down the street. They were from.... Yorkshire!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was there a slim, shapely six foot blonde among'st them ? If so, it wasn't my wife.

Allan.

Nah, it was my niece  xD

Evil MIKE

I'll get the photo out this evening....

Right so, let's all go to Ramsay Street Pin Oak Court....

post-6879-0-12014300-1516664688_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-43858000-1516664750_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-08603200-1516664820_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-69982300-1516664860_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-12004800-1516664915_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-19726000-1516664971_thumb.jpg <----note the 1st-generation Honda Accord saloon, still very presentable - one of these, in near timewarp condition, went for £820 on eBay a couple of weeks ago.

That's actually rather more photos than I remember taking at the time (December 2002). Also gatecrashed a Christmas lunch, so no idea who these jokers are:

post-6879-0-58410800-1516665048_thumb.jpg

but I was impressed that you could buy either of these newly-built gigantic edifices, fully furnished with air-conditioning, for the equivalent of £104,000 (the rate being A$2.8 to the £ at the time):

post-6879-0-64933600-1516665170_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-73786700-1516665215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Right so, let's all go to Ramsay Street Pin Oak Court....

but I was impressed that you could buy either of these newly-built gigantic edifices, fully furnished with air-conditioning, for the equivalent of £104,000 (the rate being A$2.8 to the £ at the time):

attachicon.gifDSCF0076.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0078.JPG

No idea who those people are, but at that price, you should have purchased both of those houses! Such is the way house prices have gone up in Melbourne.

Ok ok how much do I have to pay to have THAT photo taken down?....

I will point out that is part of the extended clan! My grand mother passed away 3 years ago... my sister works in London.... so as that was when she was 14 and you now walk past a familiar 31 year old today, you may have to do a double take.

My uncle and aunt and cousins are all still here in Melbourne!

Oh and houses a bit more expensive than that time... well the currency is running at $1.75AUD to the pound! The house over the road went for the equivalent of 580,000pound! So that house in Rowville will proabably be about the 650k pound or so!

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

Ok ok how much do I have to pay to have THAT photo taken down?....

I will point out that is part of the extended clan! My grand mother passed away 3 years ago... my sister works in London.... so as that was when she was 14 and you now walk past a familiar 31 year old today, you may have to do a double take.

My uncle and aunt and cousins are all still here in Melbourne!

Oh and houses a bit more expensive than that time... well the currency is running at $1.75AUD to the pound! The house over the road went for the equivalent of 580,000pound! So that house in Rowville will proabably be about the 650k pound or so!

Crikey, over here you could buy a broom cupboard in Kensington for that !

Allan. 

Hmm.

No mention of the Orwellian laws against fun at any establishment that dares serve liquor.

Nor the woeful infrastructure that means you WILL be trapped at a standstill in some variation of metal box whilst trying to get from one place to another, and there's a fair-to-good chance that the air conditioning will fail at some point, or simply be inadequate for the startling heat in the sun, leaving you roasting at 38C instead of 46C.

But hey, there's a little taste of home for the Poms, who are all too familiar with having their bank accounts blasted into oblivion by the state if they dare let the numbers on their speedometer creep too high.

By comparison being violently murdered by the wildlife is a blissful mercy.

• Like 1

....No mention of ..... the woeful infrastructure that means you WILL be trapped at a standstill in some variation of metal box whilst trying to get from one place to another, and there's a fair-to-good chance that the air conditioning will fail at some point, or simply be inadequate for the startling heat in the sun, leaving you roasting at 38C instead of 46C.....

That's alright - the London Underground in summertime is far far worse and you get to sniff someone's armpit.

Now, onto those Christmas gatecrash photos that I promised earlier.... can't remember any of the protagonists, it was all so long ago:

post-6879-0-48248700-1516750895_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-88969100-1516750943_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-23111800-1516751111_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-90901700-1516751299_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That's alright - the London Underground in summertime is far far worse and you get to sniff someone's armpit.

Now, onto those Christmas gatecrash photos that I promised earlier.... can't remember any of the protagonists, it was all so long ago:

attachicon.gifDSCF0049.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0050.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0052.

attachicon.gifDSCF0052.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0060.JPG

So you knew the Queen, Horsetan. Third picture down.

Nice one, mate.

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCF0052.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0060.JPG

So you knew the Queen, Horsetan.

Third picture down.

Nice one, mate

Allan.

• Like 1