The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

When the Yanks first started to rotate Marines through Australia.The Aussie RAR (infantry) used to tell them stories about drop bears. They were a bit suspicious at first as to the truth of these stories.

One night a possum (that had been making a bit of a racket) fell out of a tree on to a tent where a bunch of these yanks were sleeping, it panicked and started to shred everything it came into contact with using it's quite substantial claws.

Obviously being dark they never actually saw the possum, so they were told that they had probably been one of the few people who ever survived a drop bear attack.

Once they returned home they must have repeated the story (with some embellishments) because the next bunch were already terrified of them without the help of the RAR.

attachicon.gifDrop bears.jpg

So thats what Vegemite is for. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Of course, where else other than Oz would a bear drop out of a tree with ill intentions to any passer by ?

Australia also has such a diverse climate as I also discovered on another Netflix channel.

In the first episode, there's a regular army of guys that freez to death way up in the mountains in sub Arctic conditions at the same time as some guy is trying to cross the Simpson desert towing what looks like a Tesco shopping trolley behind him in 50 plus degrees heat. - apparently, both regions have claimed their fair share of lives of unfortunate nationals who you'd think would know better.

Then their,s this guy demonstrating what to do when stung by a jelly fish. Well, what I expected was a verbal demonstration but, what did I get ? a guy stinging himself with a jelly fish that he had floating about in a bucket by rubbing it up and down his arm then instructing the presenter to pour vinegar on it. Only an Oz would do that !

Following that was another guy messing about with the second most deadly snake in the world - the Australian brown snake - THEN TRIES TO KISS IT !!!- Well, quite naturally, it bit him on the end of his nose where he explains to the presenter - " No worries mate, it's just a nick" as he inspects his nose in a car mirror ! But, then again, only an Oz would do that... and I love 'em all, each and every one ! I mean, where else other than Oz would you get a grandmother wrestling with a salt water croc !!!

I salute then all. Every OZ should be knighted ( except for their cricket team and Rolf Harris... )

Allan.

It wasn't Australia that knighted Rolf Harris!

Who's Rolf Harris? We don't know anyone of that name here. Or so it would seem ;).

You can try to forget. It might take a couple of generations.

My father used to play his Christmas album every year. My little brother named his toy Koala "Coogee". (That one is really a blast from the past.)

At least there's no one to force us to listen to "Two Little Boys" anymore.

It wasn't Australia that knighted Rolf Harris!

When you think about it, the first white settlers were a mix of soldiers drunk on rum, thieves, vagabonds and prostitutes. (Stay with Me here) We continued to accept this fine mix for many decades with open arms, happy to keep them.

So the Poms should have been slightly suspicious what was wrong with people who We sent back to the Mother Country :O

P.S. Don't even think about deporting him (Rolf) back later on either (or Murdoch for that matter, although He's the Yanks problem now).

As for Mr Downes - he appears to be just sort who would fit in just fine, I believe he has just the right amount of prior delinquency required and We have reserved a spot for him should He ever follow through with his threats to emigrate. :) ( All that is required Allan, is that you learn the first verse of "Khe San" by Cold Chisel and tell us how many times Peter Brock won the Bathurst 1000 )

In return the UK can also keep Jason Donovan and Peter Andre :O

You cant have Kylie 'tho .

Edited by The Blue Streak

FYI Rolf Harris was born in the UK.

Thank goodness for that. Now we can add him to the long list of people we enthusiastically claim as our own when they're doing well but suddenly become a Kiwi/Seppo/Pom when they do something embarrassing (ref: Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson and now Mr Harris). :D

• Like 1

Sorry Pat, We can't palm him off as easy as We have all the others.

Other notable claimants We like to call Aussies (at the moment) include the Bee Gees (IOM), Nicole Kidman (Hawaii), Jenny Morris and Crowded House (Enzed) - all still in the Aussie loop until somebody outs them for something naughty, then We can drop 'em like a hot potato. :D

P.S. We've also pinched Jimmy Barnes and Bon Scott (both Scottish) and John Farnham a Pom.

Motor Racing Great - Alan Moffat who's a Canadian is also on the approved list.

Edited by The Blue Streak

Jason Donovan ? Top of my hate list. Top of my Hit List.

Kylie ? No way you getting her back.

Oz  cricket eleven ? You might as well keep the Ashes as we ain't got a chance in hell of ever winning 'em back.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Kylie ? No way you getting her back.

Allan.

You're welcome to keep her! On the topic of model railways, her claim to fame is that she significantly contributed to Pete Waterman's hobby!

PS You're also welcome to Craig McLachlan, since he is now in disgrace.

He probably couldn't get a gig on any other show.

I vaguely remember him getting on the bandwagon in the 1980s with Don't It Make You Feel Good . Can't remember what that song sounded like...

*goes off to YouTube*...

*returns from YouTube*

...Strewth, that was bad alright.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

He's still playing the Part of Paul Robinson on Neighbors.

The hard part to believe is that Neighbors is still on :O

It doesn't appear to be on our TV!  

Mrs kevinLMS used to be addicted to it, but hasn't for years.

Addicted to alternatives instead, 'I'm a Celebrity!' is about to start again here. I wish she'd watch Neighbours!

Home and Away's still running though. It seems to have been spiced up a bit. 25 Years ago, when I saw the odd bit on other people's TVs, the biggest dramas appeared to be over who'd get the job at the Summer Bay Cafe or whether one of the kids would get away with wagging school. Now, at least according to the trailers, there seems to be a murder, an explosion or a fatal/near fatal car crash almost every week. Oh yes, and the odd kidnapping.

So beware folks. Even sleepy Aussie seaside towns are more dangerous than downtown Detroit ;).

It doesn't appear to be on our TV!  

Mrs kevinLMS used to be addicted to it, but hasn't for years.

Addicted to alternatives instead, 'I'm a Celebrity!' is about to start again here. I wish she'd watch Neighbours!

It's still on one of those channel 10 sub channels, it rates quite poorly here in Oz nowadays, but there is still a big export market apparently. :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's still on one of those channel 10 sub channels, it rates quite poorly here in Oz nowadays, but there is still a big export market apparently. :O

I was being funny, not having any interest at all! But if it keeps people employed, so be it.

• Like 1

Well as Horsetan knows my household has never watched neighbours and being spitting distance to Pine oak crt... oh sorry Ramsay st... let alone the actual studios in Springvale rd...

Well I have to say to Allan that we can fight over kylie's butt.... you can look up the closing ceremony of the sid-a-knee orimpics I'll give you a few hours (ok you found the clip in 5 minutes and spent a few hours on high rotation... sorry if the blood pressure went a bit high!) with the clip and we can discuss it over a beer. But I still think we'll keep the singing budgie...

I have another for the list of over seas adoptees, Errol Flynn from the PNG which may have been a Aussie territory at the time but in 1909 it may have been German depending on where exactly he was born!

• Like 2

I have never been a fan of the soap operas; neither Home and Away nor Neighbours. Ironically, I saw more of Neighbours on TV in England when I visited my Mum some years ago. It seemed funny seeing the familiar locations when I was so far away from home. The shopping centre featured in one episode was our local Forest Hill Chase(all of seven minutes walk from my home), the swimming pool was the Nunawading Aquatic Centre , as it used to be, and that's only a five minute drive away. As Doug indicated, Pin Oak Court which doubles as Ramsay Street is only a 10 minute drive away.

• RMweb Premium

I have never been a fan of the soap operas; neither Home and Away nor Neighbours. Ironically, I saw more of Neighbours on TV in England when I visited my Mum some years ago. It seemed funny seeing the familiar locations when I was so far away from home. The shopping centre featured in one episode was our local Forest Hill Chase(all of seven minutes walk from my home), the swimming pool was the Nunawading Aquatic Centre , as it used to be, and that's only a five minute drive away. As Doug indicated, Pin Oak Court which doubles as Ramsay Street is only a 10 minute drive away.

Funny how everyone here is denying that they watch 'Neighbours', but they know all the details. Just saying!

I didn't know that Pin Oak Court was where the house shots of Neighbours was made, until a late taxi driver friend, happened to mention that it was a popular tourist destination, especially for people from the UK. Taxi drivers all knew exactly where it was.

• Like 2

If the Neighbors  locations were on my doorstep back then I'd move. Just imagine the horror of bumping into  Jason Donovan every day ! 

I live 250 miles away from Eastenders locations ( If I go the long way round ) and to think, I was brought up there when everybody had a smile on their face and a happy go lucky attitude whereas the soap has everybody as miserable as sin and at each other's throat in every scene screaming and hollering at each other.

The most unlikely portrayal of London's East End as I knew it  if ever there was - I call it 'The Misery Slot'

Allan