The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Sydney Ferries are naming their next ferry 'Ferry McFerry Face'. Stupid, I know, right? That's what happens when a meme obsessed population votes on childish names for something that's supposed to honourary. It is truly revolting! Come up with a proper name, don't let the child's excuse ruin it for everyone.

I kind of like the result, it is a crappy name but I cannot imagine how the politicians and bureaucrats would come up with the idea of getting the public to name the ferry, yet not think that it could go terribly wrong, especially given that they had the  Brits research vessel naming comp result as a warning of what the public can do when unleashed.

Being a NSW resident I have no say in the chronic ovewrcrowding and over-development that is currently going on all over Sydney,  and privately developed toll roads being chosen over public transport, and the bulldozing of our green spaces to give to their developer mates, so if my one chance of doing an 'up yours' to the state government is to stuff up their ferry naming plans then count me in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I kind of like the result, it is a crappy name but I cannot imagine how the politicians and bureaucrats would come up with the idea of getting the public to name the ferry, yet not think that it could go terribly wrong, especially given that they had the  Brits research vessel naming comp result as a warning of what the public can do when unleashed.

Being a NSW resident I have no say in the chronic ovewrcrowding and over-development that is currently going on all over Sydney,  and privately developed toll roads being chosen over public transport, and the bulldozing of our green spaces to give to their developer mates, so if my one chance of doing an 'up yours' to the state government is to stuff up their ferry naming plans then count me in.

The silliness of such names, is a temporary thing and it will be forgotten in the near future just like any fad.

Just as useless are names after soon to be obscure politicians or 'notable' people that often lend their names. Significant items need to carry names that will be remembered for the life of the said item.

Sporting stadiums are often named after major sponsors and often get changed after a handful of seasons, or less.

• Like 1

The silliness of such names, is a temporary thing and it will be forgotten in the near future just like any fad.

Just as useless are names after soon to be obscure politicians or 'notable' people that often lend their names. Significant items need to carry names that will be remembered for the life of the said item.

Sporting stadiums are often named after major sponsors and often get changed after a handful of seasons, or less.

Re sponsors names - I know where the Sydney Cricket ground is, but where is the ANZ stadium? or Motorola stadium, which I think we had at some point a few years ago?

I think that the one event which has become legendary due to the sponsors name was the Hardie Ferodo 500. Once the sponsors name got dropped a bit of the magic and appeal disappeared. (Also the cars became less interesting to me at least after 1979 or so...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Re sponsors names - I know where the Sydney Cricket ground is, but where is the ANZ stadium? or Motorola stadium, which I think we had at some point a few years ago?

That of course is purely a function of profit - those naming rights being a form of paid advertising. Eventually the sponsoring companies themselves either go out of business or change their own names or eventually decide that paying the naming rights fee isn't worth it.

It's free money for the owner of the stadium. If public money went into building the stadium and the naming rights in some way went to offset public expenses incurred, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

I think that the one event which has become legendary due to the sponsors name was the Hardie Ferodo 500. Once the sponsors name got dropped a bit of the magic and appeal disappeared. (Also the cars became less interesting to me at least after 1979 or so...)

It peaked for Me in 1977 (it was the Hardie Ferodo 1000 by then).

Allan Moffat, Jacky Ickx and Colin Bond and Alan Hamilton in that amazing Ford 1 - 2

post-23233-0-40176500-1513384967.jpg

The Moffat - Ickx car was dying on it's feet (wheels?) in the last stint after Ickx tried to drive it like a LeMans car and cooked the brakes. Moffat nursed the car home with Bond dutifully staying in second for a form finish. It crushed Holdens new A9X Toranas (but Holden had it's revenge when Peter Brock along with Jim Richards and then Larry Perkins won 5 of the next 6 :().

I was so impressed by that 1977 win, that as soon as I saved enough money as an apprentice I bought one of those 5.8 litre Falcon Hardtops (pictures of it somewhere earlier in the thread {p17 or 18} when We all posted our Aussie Muscle car photo's).

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

Monkeysarefun mentioned the idea of going to "college" mine was going to Melbourne Uni in the architecture, building and planning faculty. This I found to be the time I was exposed to the Aussie ways... ok always born here but in the way I was brought up it was just normal. My parents always joked about mowing the lawn with the victa, cleaning the Holden, then having roast chook for the Sunday lunch. The idea of pub crawls, booze cruises (you'll never drink the boat dry.... yeah right, 90 "builders" a challange right....) singing Khe San etc the blokey idea, then as I found out too late the place to pick up was the town planning lectures...so the faculty was architecture about 50:50 male female, the town planners 1:9 male to female... and the builders 8:1 m2f so overall very balanced. Any how now after having a couple of recent grads working for me the uni culture is dying as it is all on line and the students have to work to pay off the fees etc. I find this sad as I still catch up with my entire year every so often... ok there was only 33 after all (6) the overseas students were kicked out in 2nd year for cheating.

The time of a drink and getting to know and foster friendships may be decreasing but the first few years at work tend to still be orientated to the creation of the same standard Aussie ideas of mates, self depricating humour, hard work, and the standard thing of getting the new guy drunk as a skunk at the Christmas party... unfortunately my office nominated drunk has left to get married in China! Poor guy last year had such a skinful I had to take him to the tram stop to stop him trying to match the boss in drinking rum and coke! He had already had a moment in the men's! And what we laughed about was he was having dinner with his mother and girlfriend!

Any how he made it... I think though the marriage might have been excuse to avoid the spiced rum and coke!

Any how looking at my 14 year old I feel the culture is changing for the worse with all the changing demographic, and the cost of housing increasing. I do wonder what university will give to him. I suspect quite a different experience.

So out of all this I would suggest to be very careful of Aussie Christmas work breakups. They are funny... the boss always has to be told how to run the company by the new guy from the bottom rung...

Any how merry Christmas, keep cool and put the cricket on.., warm the telly and cool the tinies !

• Like 5

Sydney Ferries are naming their next ferry 'Ferry McFerry Face'. Stupid, I know, right? That's what happens when a meme obsessed population votes on childish names for something that's supposed to honourary. It is truly revolting! Come up with a proper name, don't let the child's excuse ruin it for everyone.

post-24168-0-10186500-1513395724.jpg

For the benefit of those outside of the Land of Oz, the Ginger Meggs comic strips have been running in the papers here since 1921.

Dave R. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Monkeysarefun mentioned the idea of going to "college" mine was going to Melbourne Uni in the architecture, building and planning faculty. This I found to be the time I was exposed to the Aussie ways... ok always born here but in the way I was brought up it was just normal. My parents always joked about mowing the lawn with the victa, cleaning the Holden, then having roast chook for the Sunday lunch. The idea of pub crawls, booze cruises (you'll never drink the boat dry.... yeah right, 90 "builders" a challange right....) singing Khe San etc the blokey idea, then as I found out too late the place to pick up was the town planning lectures...so the faculty was architecture about 50:50 male female, the town planners 1:9 male to female... and the builders 8:1 m2f so overall very balanced. Any how now after having a couple of recent grads working for me the uni culture is dying as it is all on line and the students have to work to pay off the fees etc. I find this sad as I still catch up with my entire year every so often... ok there was only 33 after all (6) the overseas students were kicked out in 2nd year for cheating.

The time of a drink and getting to know and foster friendships may be decreasing but the first few years at work tend to still be orientated to the creation of the same standard Aussie ideas of mates, self depricating humour, hard work, and the standard thing of getting the new guy drunk as a skunk at the Christmas party... unfortunately my office nominated drunk has left to get married in China! Poor guy last year had such a skinful I had to take him to the tram stop to stop him trying to match the boss in drinking rum and coke! He had already had a moment in the men's! And what we laughed about was he was having dinner with his mother and girlfriend!

Any how he made it... I think though the marriage might have been excuse to avoid the spiced rum and coke!

Any how looking at my 14 year old I feel the culture is changing for the worse with all the changing demographic, and the cost of housing increasing. I do wonder what university will give to him. I suspect quite a different experience.

So out of all this I would suggest to be very careful of Aussie Christmas work breakups. They are funny... the boss always has to be told how to run the company by the new guy from the bottom rung...

Any how merry Christmas, keep cool and put the cricket on.., warm the telly and cool the tinies !

Tinies?????

(posted during lunch on Day 3 of the Perth Test).

Tinies?????

(posted during lunch on Day 3 of the Perth Test).

This bloke from Oyster Bay (southern Sydney) definitely doesn't have tinies:

post-22541-0-74119900-1513413734_thumb.jpg

He found this  Aussie tree Tarantula crawling on him, picked it off and took a selfie, (though only his hand actually appears in it)

post-22541-0-34979300-1513413826_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

t2.jpg

He found this Aussie tree Tarantula crawling on him, picked it off and took a selfie, (though only his hand actually appears in it)

t1.jpg

That’s definitely a reason not to go to Australia!
  • Like 1

attachicon.gift2.jpg

He found this  Aussie tree Tarantula crawling on him, picked it off and took a selfie, (though only his hand actually appears in it)

attachicon.gift1.jpg

Crikey, that's a fair sized spider. I'm glad We don't get them in West Oz. :O

At least I've never seen or heard of any.

• Like 1

Oyster Bay is in the Sutherland Shire. The laws of nature are different there.

Yes, tis the Shire, where there be Hobbits.

And these people too. (oops! contains swearing...!)

I live in the Shire too, though in my case it is the Shire of Wollondilly, where there be no Hobbits. But we have the haunted Redbank train tunnel.

(Actually I did go on a ghost tour of the tunnel, and something really weird DID happen! I was going to post it on Halloween as a spooky post but forgot.)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Maybe they're just better at hiding, and then disposing of the bodies of those they ambush ;).

• Like 1

Yes, tis the Shire, where there be Hobbits.

And these people too. (oops! contains swearing...!)

I live in the Shire too, though in my case it is the Shire of Wollondilly, where there be no Hobbits. But we have the haunted Redbank train tunnel.

(Actually I did go on a ghost tour of the tunnel, and something really weird DID happen! I was going to post it on Halloween as a spooky post but forgot.)

I've been in the only railway tunnel in WA. The only weird thing that happened was that, having neglected to bring a torch, I fell into every bl%@dy sleeper depression along it's not inconsiderable length.

I think you should be  pretty right, since it first  got called the Eastern Tarantula, meaning that it has to stay on this side of the country.

They are also called 'Bird Whistling Spiders'. for reasons I have no knowledge of but makes them sound huge if they can catch birds by just whistling at them.

Anyway, in return for us not renaming them  Western Australian horror spiders and unleashing them on you can you  , please rename your quokkas to 'Western Australia Quokkas, cos they sure look scary and mean and we don't want them turning up on our bit of Oz!

post-22541-0-47687500-1513420872.jpg

post-22541-0-72679700-1513420900_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think you should be  pretty right, since it first  got called the Eastern Tarantula, meaning that it has to stay on this side of the country.

They are also called 'Bird Whistling Spiders'. for reasons I have no knowledge of but makes them sound huge if they can catch birds by just whistling at them.

Anyway, in return for us not renaming them  Western Australian horror spiders and unleashing them on you can you  , please rename your quokkas to 'Western Australia Quokkas, cos they sure look scary and mean and we don't want them turning up on our bit of Oz!

attachicon.gifq2.jpg

attachicon.gifq1.jpg

Arrgh Quokka's, vicious little Ba$t***$. There's a reason why we try and keep them confined to Rottnest Island.

Don't ever get between them and a dropped chip. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciiHJGPE4qA

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

It peaked for Me in 1977 (it was the Hardie Ferodo 1000 by then).

Allan Moffat, Jacky Ickx and Colin Bond and Alan Hamilton in that amazing Ford 1 - 2

attachicon.gif1977.jpg

The Moffat - Ickx car was dying on it's feet (wheels?) in the last stint after Ickx tried to drive it like a LeMans car and cooked the brakes. Moffat nursed the car home with Bond dutifully staying in second for a form finish. It crushed Holdens new A9X Toranas (but Holden had it's revenge when Peter Brock along with Jim Richards and then Larry Perkins won 5 of the next 6 :().

I was so impressed by that 1977 win, that as soon as I saved enough money as an apprentice I bought one of those 5.8 litre Falcon Hardtops (pictures of it somewhere earlier in the thread {p17 or 18} when We all posted our Aussie Muscle car photo's).

Car Racing Elders refer to the years after 1977  as 'The Dreamtime", mainly because if you are a Ford supporter then for heaps of years after this if you are hoping for another win then you are just dreaming.

(I have decided that Dicky Johnsons 1981 win doesn't count because he is a New Zealander

. I think.

Well, if our Deputy PM didn't realise that he was then Dick Johnson is probably one too.)

For so many years Bathurst had been Aussie cars, the saying was, win on Sunday and people would buy the car on the following  Monday.( And it was exciting watching an insane version of  your neighbours XB falcon, with a V8 instead of a straight 6, and a 2 door coupe instead of the standard  station wagon body being hurled around the mountain,  but the idea was there and the possibility was sown)

But then in the 80's it suddenly got wrecked with lame Jaguars leaking oil everywhere and #@$#$ Volvos turning up for no apparent reason And then there were  those gay black BMW's with gold bits

. Imagine turning up at the 'Railway Hotel' or whatever on half priced Fight Night in your black BMW with gold bits on cos it had won the weekend before.... I can't.

. There is NO Jag or Volvo or gay BMW in any Mad Max moviie  so for that reason alone they should have been barred from the country.

Anyway, Thats when the fun got turned off for me and I can't be bothered even turning the Telly on for it whenever it is on now, which I haven't even bothered to research for this post. October or somefink.

Edited by monkeysarefun

In WA that would be blokes from a certain regiment based at Campbell Barracks in Swanbourne doing that, wouldn't it ?  :)

They are probably more sophisticated and stealthy these days, but back in the 90's when I was "involved" with them, they had a fleet of brown Bedford vans that they would use for their stealthy stuff, like Scooby Doo or something,

So basically back them if you saw a fleet of brown Bedford vans trying to look inconspicuous outside your house, you should realise that you have  been rumbled and should sneak out the back way.

Based on my observations, quokkas are hard little critters because, when they're young and in the mother's pouch, their heads bang on the ground with her every hopping step. With a childhood like that, you're bound to grow up a bit pugnacious. And with chronic concussion too, presumably :D.