The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Question:

How strong are roo's compared to humans ? 

There's lot's of different species of Roo Allan.

There's some that are little, cute and cuddly but can still give you a nasty kick if they get scared.

.....and then there's the big Eastern Greys and Western Reds. The Biggest Males (known as Boomers) can stand over six feet tall and can be very aggressive at times. Some like Roger are just 95 kg of muscle and sinew and as can be seen in the video can crush a metal bucket with their forearms.

It's when they sit back on their tail and lash out with their back legs they become a worry , they've been known to disembowel a cattle dog and launch them many feet away in the process. A bloke would be very lucky to come off unscathed in an encounter with a really angry boomer. Thankfully they usually mostly only get aggressive toward each other (and usually in the mating season) but will defend themselves when chased by dogs etc.

Short answer - the big ones are bloody strong !!

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Gold

There's lot's of different species of Roo Allan.

There's some that are little, cute and cuddly but can stick give you a nasty kick if they get scared.

.....and then there's the big Eastern Greys and Western Reds. The Biggest Males (known as Boomers) can stand over six feet tall and can be very aggressive at times. Some like Roger are just 95 kg of muscle and sinew and as can be seen in the video can crush a metal bucket with their forearms.

It's when they sit back on their tail and lash out with their back legs they become a worry , they've been known to disembowel a cattle dog and launch them many feet away in the process. A bloke would be very lucky to come off unscathed in an encounter with a really angry boomer. Thankfully they usually mostly only get aggressive toward each other (and usually in the mating season) but will defend themselves when chased by dogs etc.

Short answer - the big ones are bloody strong !!

Yes, you are right Blue Streak, we have had them on our property from time to time close to 7 feet tall..........you don't approach them!! the last Winter after rain, the footprints in the mud showed the claws on the hind legs to be about 5 inches long and apparently razor sharp. I have a cattle dog (a Coolie) and before I let her go for a run, I check to see there aren't any around because she will try to herd them. A mate of mine lost his heeler to just such a creature, the poor thing was disembowelled, I won't go into a description of the injuries

Also they can be very unpredictable, one of the local blokes had been repairing fencing and had seen this Roo watching him, this continued for four or five days before, without any warning the Roo attacked him......he ended up in hospital, quite badly injured. They are wild animals and you have to respect that...........Skippies they ain't!

Mike

This is  a great video by Sir David Attenborough.

At about the 2 minute mark, one of the biggest Greys I've ever even heard about, makes an appearance and a short time later a challenger to his crown fronts up andsubsequently gets his ar$e kicked and sent on his way (relatively unscathed for one of these encounters). Well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCcLMNcWZOc

• Like 3

After watching that vid the missus could take one of them on. No prob.

But tell her to beware, they can be sneaky!

The size of our animals can be a bit underrated, everyone thinks kangaroos are Skippy sized  and a wombat isn't too cute either - it can total your car if you hit one at night when they are wandering the roads.

Also our flying stuff can be surprisingly big - eg cockatoos are like muscly chickens, and their beak will have your finger off.

When I worked in the city I used to like going down to the Botanic Gardens at lunchtime to watch the Euro  tourists feeding the cockatoos. They must have thought it would be like feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square or whatever, so it was always fun to see it quickly  turn into a scene from 'The Birds'

Fun fact: Aussie parrots are surprisingly long lived. Back in the early '70's when I was a young lad eagerly  reading Railway Modeller,( not in any way aware of Allans debauched Rock and Roll lifestyle  that my mum would have disapproved of) , , an elderly couple moved in up the road.

They had a  cockatoo called Fred. They also had a framed photo of the old blokes dad on his return from the trenches of WW1, and on his shoulder was a young Fred. So that must have made Fred around 60 or so when I knew him. I think Fred got mentioned in wills and was handed down through the generations

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

At the risk of being political, in response to todays high court ruling  these are various Murdoch papers front pages - and they are meant to be PRO conservative.

I guess the lure of a snappy NZ/sheep  themed punny headline proved too much!

post-22541-0-96364400-1509111051.jpg

post-22541-0-19746500-1509111068.jpg

post-22541-0-08783300-1509111083.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

Well that's parliament thrown into confusion... the sir humphy's will be working overtime actually keeping Australia running....

Mean while in the rest of the country... life goes on as normal.

• Like 2

Probably everyone's a closet Kiwi anyway.

Now take that back..... ready the army, navy and Air Force looks like we have to invade a little island off the coast of France.... well we had to bale them out of the last 2 wars....shouldn't take more than a week and we can call it queens birthday..... I bet those off their west coast will be happy to lend a hand let alone those in the north... half of them move here for the better weather any way!

Oh I know we can do it cheaper, we'll just collect the brown snakes, drop bears, tassie devil... and let them loose!

Edited by DougN

Now take that back..... ready the army, navy and Air Force looks like we have to invade a little island off the coast of France.... well we had to bale them out of the last 2 wars....shouldn't take more than a week and we can call it queens birthday..... I bet those off their west coast will be happy to lend a hand let alone those in the north... half of them move here for the better weather any way!

Oh I know we can do it cheaper, we'll just collect the brown snakes, drop bears, tassie devil... and let them loose!

Just one problem. You'll have to get past my missus first  :threaten:

• RMweb Premium

Yeah right, just like we can do the NBN 'cheaper, faster and more efficient'. NZ seems to be doing a vastly better job then Australia, with Fibre to the Premises, rather than our hopeless, revised mess of mixed technology.

Yeah right, just like we can do the NBN 'cheaper, faster and more efficient'. NZ seems to be doing a vastly better job then Australia, with Fibre to the Premises, rather than our hopeless, revised mess of mixed technology.

Even in WW1 when everyone else was having fun in tanks Australia still reckoned cavalry was the better technology, Employing it 100 years ago this week at Barsheeba in the last official cavalry charge in history (though there were probably some Poles etc at the start of WW2 that would argue with that).

Charging 4000 Turkish soldiers and artillery in trenches  across open ground using bayonets as swords, 800 horsemen of the Light Horse captured essential wells and took 1000 Turks prisoner.

Pretty much  the Charge Of The Light Brigade but with a happier ending and less-stupid hats..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbYzsexVgZk

As to the NBN, I am pretty happy  but that is due to sheer luck living 50 metres from a node. Still not a patch on the NZ gigabit to the home technology...

post-22541-0-85171400-1509265836_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As to the NBN, I am pretty happy  but that is due to sheer luck living 50 metres from a node. Still not a patch on the NZ gigabit to the home technology...

attachicon.gifspeedtest.jpg

A node lotto winner!

A nearby computer shop gets 93/37 on his FTTN. He has the node located right outside his shop. He actually got a quote for fibre straight in, price was $15.000! So he ordered 10 services.

I have heard of people having a node on the nature strip, so all excited. Problem was the phone cable goes all the way via a pillar down the street & back again - about 800 metres worth!

Personally, I get 24/4.5 on a 25/5 plan FTTN, so not too bad. Didn't want to pay for a 100/40, then find I couldn't get anywhere near it.

• Like 1

A node lotto winner!

A nearby computer shop gets 93/37 on his FTTN. He has the node located right outside his shop. He actually got a quote for fibre straight in, price was $15.000! So he ordered 10 services.

I have heard of people having a node on the nature strip, so all excited. Problem was the phone cable goes all the way via a pillar down the street & back again - about 800 metres worth!

Personally, I get 24/4.5 on a 25/5 plan FTTN, so not too bad. Didn't want to pay for a 100/40, then find I couldn't get anywhere near it.

Yes,I have been truly blessed by the patron saints of the MTM NBN - , St Malcolm and St Tony -  and humbly give thanks for their incredible intellect and technical wisdom which is so  truly immense that mere normal people cannot hope to understand it,

And so,  I will definitely always be voting for them so they can reign long in parliament and then retire with a handsome pension which they do justly deserve,

Edited by monkeysarefun

Monkeysarefun... the drugs you are looking for are in aisle 7.... 

Personally I am waiting for the day that the NBN gets sold off the same way that Telstra did... look all shiny and new... you know that you already owned it but you can own it twice!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Monkeysarefun... the drugs you are looking for are in aisle 7....

Personally I am waiting for the day that the NBN gets sold off the same way that Telstra did... look all shiny and new... you know that you already owned it but you can own it twice!

The way things are going, it will be unsaleable. The aim was to sell it once it started to make a profit, that seems to be an impossibility.

Then of course you can be convicted of a crime, for the heinous crime of walking to a car!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-01/three-bikies-convicted-of-vlad-law-breach-for-walking-to-a-car/9109306

Ah, Queensland, there  they  are  - being all nostalgic about the Joh Bjelke Petersen years when they could arrest  - and as a bonus bash up -   anyone they wanted to.

The US in the '60's had the deep south, down here being upside down it was the deep North! (ie Queensland, to clarify it  for the non Australians..!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

Three things that happened this week that says that summer is coming......

Bloke at work has to jump a brown snake on his lunchtime jog.

I open my stationary cupboard to find a rather large huntsman spider on the inside of the door.

The English team are on the news saying nonsense about how the ashes are theirs..

• Like 1

Ah, Queensland, there  they  are  - being all nostalgic about the Joh Bjelke Petersen years when they could arrest  - and as a bonus bash up -   anyone they wanted to.

The US in the '60's had the deep south, down here being upside down it was the deep North! (ie Queensland, to clarify it  for the non Australians..!)

Queensland under Joh had to have a different calendar ... no Marches allowed! ;)