The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

At the time. and what with double vision, I had a choice of two but missed both.

The drive on ramps are about 12ft wide but disappear altogether when you're pissed.

The longer this thread goes on, the more apparent it is that one of our finest architectural modellers - a man who has written books and articles on the subject - has led a very spicy life!  :jester:

I'm looking forward to reading "Allan Downes: The Unauthorised Biography"..... :jester:  :jester: 

The longer this thread goes on, the more apparent it is that one of our finest architectural modellers - a man who has written books and articles on the subject - has led a very spicy life!  :jester:

I'm looking forward to reading "Allan Downes: The Unauthorised Biography"..... :jester:  :jester: 

I'm just glad that my mum never found out all this stuff about him cos I'd have never been allowed to read the Railway Modeller.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

I'm just glad that my mum never found out all this stuff about him cos I'd have never been allowed to read the Railway Modeller.

Can you imagine it? Mrs. Mary Whitehouse and her morality brigade would have organised protests outside newsagents and model shops (there were more of those back then).....

Seriously, if I was Governor General I'd replace everyone in Canberra with these guys - they'd do a lot less damage and be much cheaper. (Or should that be 'Cheeper'? seeing that they are birds! Heh heh heh.)

... and almost as rowdy as our pollies! ;)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

G'Day All

recently a lady was taken by a croc in Northern Australia, large traps were set to catch it, here is a picture of one of the trapspost-19471-0-53327100-1508832352.jpg

Not only do these idiots 'Swim' out to it, to have a bit of FUN !! they haven't found the 'Croc' that killed the lady.

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'Day All

recently a lady was taken by a croc in Northern Australia, large traps were set to catch it, here is a picture of one of the trapsattachicon.gif22730631_1494743380574148_5697656185287466245_n.jpg

Not only do these idiots 'Swim' out to it, to have a bit of FUN !! they haven't found the 'Croc' that killed the lady.

manna

Bait?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'Day All

recently a lady was taken by a croc in Northern Australia, large traps were set to catch it, here is a picture of one of the trapsattachicon.gif22730631_1494743380574148_5697656185287466245_n.jpg

manna

Here's a report

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/24/men-photographed-in-crocodile-trap-dubbed-idiots-of-the-century?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+AUS+v1+-+AUS+morning+mail+callout&utm_term=249235&subid=18758235&CMP=ema_632

Edit to add.

The article says that the croc was captured. Although how do they know it was the same one?

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1

That's why all crocs should carry identity cards.

This one was found illegally shot recently.up in Queensland

post-22541-0-17960200-1508847718.jpg

At 5.2metres long, it is basically a dinosaur - , I wouldn't want to be the guy on the door asking to check his ID.... .I  would just be - "Yes sir - usual table sir,, that's  a nice leather jacket you are wearing..."

The article says that the croc hadn't been a problem. Being big and old it was probably wary of people.

When people start blowing away these animals for no apparent reason it really Pi$$es me off.

I hope that catch the idiot that did it and throw the book at him with the full 28000 dollar fine and a stint in jail.

The problem is there are too many blokes with big guns and tiny brains (and probably tiny other bits) still running around.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The article says that the croc hadn't been a problem. Being big and old it was probably wary of people.

When people start blowing away these animals for no apparent reason it really Pi$$es me off.

I hope that catch the idiot that did it and throw the book at him with the full 28000 dollar fine and a stint in jail.

The problem is there are too many blokes with big guns and tiny brains (and probably tiny other bits) still running around.

We have just had a case in Gulf St Vincent at Normanville ( South Australia) where a 4.5 white Pointer Shark attacked a kayak with a young girl on board, Her father, who rescued her thank goodness is calling for the shark too be "culled".....................No!! you were in it's domain, you want to kayak. do it where the sharks don't live....idiot!!. There are numerous places on the Fleurieu Peninsular where you can safely kayak. I actually know this clown, he has a property near Mount Compass, which has 7 acres of water on it, that's where his daughter should be in her boat.

Mike

• Like 1

Yes, there are quite a lot of them in the United States, I think.

There is a truly awful TV show they have as daytime filler here on one of the commercial channels called 'Swamp People'. It apparently follows the lives of traditional Louisiana swamp people who hunt alligators for a living.

They say 'Traditional swamp people' like they are native Indians  who can trace the tradition back hundreds of years but they are actually all no-tooth gun toting rednecks called Cleetus .

The 'show'  consists of endless repetitions of these folk trundling up rivers in boats until they see an alligator (which is a very lame version of the good old Aussie Saltie) and  dramatically maneuvering the boat and/or  the alligator into a position until they can shoot it in the head with a shottie.^.

Only an American would think this show would be watchable and I don't have any idea who at 7mate (the 'TV' station that broadcasts it here) would think it was entertainment, and better still suitable for the 2 - 5pm time slot.

In contrast unless a croc here has actually killed someone and they need to cut it open to find the bits, dangerous ones are trapped and relocated - (or sent to the farm to make handbags..)

Channel 4's The Last Leg did a special on Australia a while ago to milk the 'Brit out of water' theme. On  one of the segmentst hey joined  in on a crocodile hunt. That bit starts at the 4:55 mark, and there isn't a shottie in sight. AND at the 12 minute mark, just for Allan - Kevin Bloody Wilson - live in a Darwin Bikie club shed.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5

American  'hunters' will shoot at anything that moves but prefer to shoot at anything that doesn't. with big bellies, big guns and little brains sums up your all American big time hunter/slaughterer perfectly.

They can't wait for the Moose hunting season to open because these animals are so docile you don't have to be a marksman to hit one where all your big time American hunter has to do is to walk straight up to one, stick his gun in its face and empty the magazine into its head then spend the rest of the day celebrating his kill on McDonalds trebles with extra cheese and fries and a gallon of Coke to sink it all down with.

Somewhere on youtube there's an all American bitch who boasts how she likes to kill lions and, I believe, has had death threats and all I'm waiting for now is for someone to carry one out.

Please hurry.

• Agree 1

Yes, there are quite a lot of them in the United States, I think.

A few years ago I found copy of Bacon Busters, an Aussie magazine dedicated to the "sport" of hunting feral pigs, in the crib room at work. A quick perusal of the content left me somewhat concerned that the people writing and reading this stuff were in charge of a) firearms and b) large, savage dogs. Let's put it this way. The razorbacks appeared to be both more intelligent and less dangerous.

• Like 2

A few years ago I found copy of Bacon Busters, an Aussie magazine dedicated to the "sport" of hunting feral pigs, in the crib room at work. A quick perusal of the content left me somewhat concerned that the people writing and reading this stuff were in charge of a) firearms and b) large, savage dogs. Let's put it this way. The razorbacks appeared to be both more intelligent and less dangerous.

As much as I'm annoyed at the shooting of the big croc. I'm all for the culling of Feral imports like Pigs which do massive damage to the native flora and fauna.

But I'm fully on board with Pat regarding the stereotypical blokes who get involved with the "sport" of pig hunting are probably far more disturbing. However with the lack of any real coordinated approach from the various government departments to get on top of the problem,  these blokes will be running around for a while yet. I'm just wondering who are the people who thought it would be a good idea to let some of these blokes have firearms that have as much clout as what the 7.62 L1A1 SLR that the Army was using not to far back ?

Edit - Living out in the country a bit, there are blokes out here who have some pretty wild rifles when they shouldn't really even have access to a BB gun.

In WA to get a gun licence you need to be -

1) a professional shooter with all the accreditation that goes with it.

2) a member of a rifle / target shooting association - with all checks and balances.

3)  A farmer, who requires it for culling nuisance ferals on their own property or putting down injured or sick livestock.

and finally and somewhat worryingly get a letter from a farmer or landowner to say you need a gun licence to help him out on his farm :O - these generally tend to be the "cowboys" who have little or no real firearm training but run around shooting at everything.

Edited by The Blue Streak