The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Not sure how wide the UK is at its widest point but they do say that no matter where you are, you can't be no further than 70 miles from the nearest coast but you'd be surprised just how many people still get lost even when driving to the local shops and since the introduction of the sat nav, even more people get lost then ever !

Of course, we don't have anything as remote as the Australian outback but, then again, Australia hasn't got the M25, a desert of cars, road cones,shredded truck tyres, fast food debris and lost souls and, many of them Australian tourists too ! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually a Ford 8 would probably do better in Australian conditions than many of its contemporaries. Up until 1950 all Fords used the 'buggy' suspension that was used on the model T with its traverse springs front and rear. This in turn was developed from the American farm buggy that was developed to cope with unmade roads in the American 'wild west'.

Actually a Ford 8 would probably do better in Australian conditions than many of its contemporaries. .....

I'm surprised that Citroën oleopneumatic suspension wasn't wildly popular in Australia, as those conditions were exactly the sort of thing it was able to cope with.

I'm surprised that Citroën oleopneumatic suspension wasn't wildly popular in Australia, as those conditions were exactly the sort of thing it was able to cope with.

The only thing was, you needed an advanced plumber to fix it if it went wrong. dealerships for Citroen were few and far between.

If you were bush-bashing in the 1960s or '70s, the only cars you could be sure of finding parts to repair them were the Holden/Ford Falcon/Chrysler Valiant, plus the only foreign one, the VW Beetle. Anything else risked being stranded until parts could be brought in from the major cities.

Having said that, one friend had a Goggomobil, which he kept going by scouring all of the surrounding farms to buy derelict cars with bits he could use. His wife thought he was breeding them under his house!

A burst suspension pipe spewing out all that hydraulic fluid out in the middle of the Outback would soon sit a Citroen flat on its arse !

Citroëns have their dedicated fanatics everywhere and there were plenty of them in Australia, but not in the Outback.

Outback machismo required a Ute, Land Rover (thank you Mike and Mal) or Land Cruiser equipped with at a minimum, "roo bars" or preferably, "bull bars".

There was a specialty Citroën garage quite close to where I lived. It was a bit of a dump, but it always seemed busy for some reason.

Ozexpatriate, I find the entire thing about the yes no vote quite funny.... who really cares what some one else does in the privacy of their own bed room and with whom! The only thing that I agree with Trump on is there has been a heap of fake news and information from the No campaign. I didnt think much of it, as soon as I received the letter I voted (hoping that the debate would stop... but no unfortunately), my mother in law how ever was all worried about the ideas being promoted by the No campaign. Then again at 88 she can get a little confused. 

Any how the end of holden manufacturing so a number of people will be crying into their beers tonight. 

• Like 2

Australia was/is home to a remarkable number of small sidevalve Fords. The sit-up-and-beg 4-door Prefect seems the most common now, but other flavours are available. There are even a few survivors of the locally built ute versions, which are quite stylish in an odd sort of way. Small and slow they may be, but they're fairly well adapted for bush mechanic repairs. Having recently found out that you can still get Aquaplane tuning bits I rather fancy one :).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Australia was/is home to a remarkable number of small sidevalve Fords. The sit-up-and-beg 4-door Prefect seems the most common now, but other flavours are available. There are even a few survivors of the locally built ute versions, which are quite stylish in an odd sort of way. Small and slow they may be, but they're fairly well adapted for bush mechanic repairs. Having recently found out that you can still get Aquaplane tuning bits I rather fancy one :).

Many British Fords were assembled in Australia, alongside some exclusively Australian versions. The sit-up-and-beg Prefect is a good example, apart from the Utes the Australian version had an extended boot which unlike the contemporary Anglia was smoothed into the bodywork instead of being added on the back as an afterthought. They also had a steel roof in place of the fabric covered one of the British model. Other exclusive models were the four door Anglia and now very rare Prefect van. Prewar Australian Fords included coupe versions of both the model Y and my favourite the CX.

• Like 1

A local satirical show way back in the '70s (1977/8, I think), The Naked Vicar Show, had a skit where they contrasted the styles of males from different countries in courting their women. It went something like this:

In America, they say (American accent), "Would you like to come up and see ma etchings?".

In Britain, they say (cultured English accent), "Would you care to come up and see my paintings?"

In Australia, they say (broad ocker Aussie accent), "Hop in the back seat and look at the roof!"

How does this relate to our previous discussions? Well, The Naked Vicar was also where a popular Australian character, Ted Bullpit was invented, leading to a complete comedy series called Kingswood Country. "The Kingswood? You're not taking the Kingswood! I've just ..." followed by the lamest of excuses to not loan the Holden Kingswood to the son in law. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

"Hop in the backseat and look at the roof "

Only a true blooded Aussie would turn an  artistic invitation into something so crude but, hey ! - I wouldn't have it any other way, would you !

So guys, a full explanation and detailed meaning of this delightful and suggestive expression if you would be so kind.

• Like 1

Only a true blooded Aussie would turn an  artistic invitation into something so crude but, hey ! - I wouldn't have it any other way, would you !

So guys, a full explanation and detailed meaning of this delightful and suggestive expression if you would be so kind.

It's equivalent to "Trip along here with some naughty night attire, and you'll be staring at the ceiling from now 'til Christmas!"

First you  have to take  the standard Australian citizenship test to see how simple or difficult we need to make the explanation...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkasprak/can-you-tell-the-difference-between-clean-and-dirty-aussie-s?utm_term=.wkx2kbV6N#.mbrr2Z1Lw

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2