The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Rhinos being to be seen skateboarding on most Oz streets this is another suitably appropriate road sign in Melbourne

attachicon.gifP1370874.JPG

Paul

Haven't you ever been to Melbourne, Paul? We have lots an' lots of those rhinos on skateboards, although I have to admit, I have yet to see a convoy of 30 of them in one go! ;)

Haven't you ever been to Melbourne, Paul? We have lots an' lots of those rhinos on skateboards, although I have to admit, I have yet to see a convoy of 30 of them in one go! ;)

Oh yes, I photographed the sign in St. Kilda where my daughter lives.http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/melbournetrams

But I still have failed to see a Rhino, and we've visited a variety of national parks in quite a lot of different parts of OZ. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/australia2014

None were to be seen from the Indian Pacific http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/indianpacific nor up in Kurunda http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/kurundascenicrailway

Paul

• Like 1

f95e496fac3b91fa74e6e7e525b3df77.jpgSidestepping topic for a moment ,guys, I'd thought you'd like to know that my wife was an engine driver in her day.

Here she is bringing her engine to a gentle halt.

A slight Australian variation on that theme, that reminded me of the two cars left perched on the brink  after the Tasman Bridge collapse, Hobart 1975. 

Driving along at night and suddenly there is  no road in front of you. I probably would have just thought I was tired and seeing things  and just kept driving..

post-22541-0-42239000-1507842123_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not the monaro........ 

That example would probably be worth a large fortune today! 

Just thinking about the Monaro, near where I grew up a local builder/ bricklayer has a yellow and black SS monaro for years it was quite distinctive... I wonder what ever happened to that... I think it was the late 1980's that it disappeared when he built a unit in the back garden. 

Edited by DougN

Not the monaro........ 

That example would probably be worth a large fortune today! 

Just thinking about the Monaro, near where I grew up a local builder/ bricklayer has a yellow and black SS monaro for years it was quite distinctive... I wonder what ever happened to that... I think it was the late 1980's that it disappeared when he built a unit in the back garden. 

An HQ GTS? He should have kept it (in good condition)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282673901609?lgeo=1&vectorid=229515&item=282673901609&affiliate.trackingId=5336652905&affiliate.networkId=9&rmvSB=true

Edited by monkeysarefun

Oh yes, I photographed the sign in St. Kilda where my daughter lives.http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/melbournetrams

But I still have failed to see a Rhino, and we've visited a variety of national parks in quite a lot of different parts of OZ. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/australia2014

None were to be seen from the Indian Pacific http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/indianpacific nor up in Kurunda http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/kurundascenicrailway

Paul

On a serious note, the Werribee Zoo in the western suburbs of Melbourne does, indeed, have rhinos in an open setting (not on skateboards, though!). If you are ever back in Melbourne, all three of the main zoos are worth visiting (Melbourne Zoo, Werribee mansion and open range zoo, and Healesville Sanctuary - the latter for Australian native fauna).

On a serious note, the Werribee Zoo in the western suburbs of Melbourne does, indeed, have rhinos in an open setting (not on skateboards, though!). If you are ever back in Melbourne, all three of the main zoos are worth visiting (Melbourne Zoo, Werribee mansion and open range zoo, and Healesville Sanctuary - the latter for Australian native fauna).

Sydney in reply has Taronga, which is in a spectacular setting but very expensive, and the Wildlife Sydney zoo at Darling Harbour which is in a crappy setting and even more expensive

Back in the good old '70's we had the African Lion Safari where you could drive your Holden Monaro V8  (or in my case sit in the  back of my dads rubbish Wolsely with the radiator badge that glowed at night) through a paddock sweating like anything because it was summer but you had to have the windows wound up and Australian car air-conditioning hadn't been invented yet  - as mangy lions with tufts hanging off them  sheltered from the heat under the gum tree in the far distance .

But the TV ad is an ear worm even after nearly 40 years, and there is a train in it if you persevere and spectacular camera effects at the end that makes it look like the animals are dancing! (And for Allan there might be boobies^)

^Theres not actually boobies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

At the 0:50 mark, I spied what I think was a Hillman Hunter (or Arrow), and in the far background, a Morris 1100! While they may not seem very Australian, both types were locally assembled.

Never having actually lived in Sydney (or any other part of New South Wales), I can't say I remember that ad at all.

• Like 2

At the 0:50 mark, I spied what I think was a Hillman Hunter (or Arrow), and in the far background, a Morris 1100! While they may not seem very Australian, both types were locally assembled.

Never having actually lived in Sydney (or any other part of New South Wales), I can't say I remember that ad at all.

Really? You didn't have that ad down there? Maybe thats how they went broke - by limiting the advertising to the places that already knew about it!

I did go to one of those zoos when I was down in Melbourne ages ago, not sure if it was Weribee or Healsville but it was a good day out.

And the penguins on Phillip Island. Of which my main memory is of heaps of Japanese tourists  filling the viewing stands waiting for the penguins to arrive from the sea and the rangers making it plain not to use cameras when they appear from the water because the flashes will scare them. Finally the first penguins waddle out of the surf and a million flashes go off making  the place look like its Omaha Beach  on D-day.

Regarding the Australian assembled Morris cars, I think Leyland here were some kind of subsidury to BMC? I remember they had a major factory or distribution centre or something at Moorebank near Liverpool NSW. I'd drive past there (in the backseat of my dads crap Wolsely)  and see row upon row of  Mini Mokes. I decided then that when I was grown up  I'd get a mini moke - a yellow California one. I never did though which is lucky because they were a pretty stupid car when you think about it.

Then when the mighty P76 was developed there were rows upon rows of them too. Trouble was, they never seemed to actually leave the Leyland distribution centre - just sit in rows upon rows... . I don't know why - they were a stuning car, especially in that brown they came in

post-22541-0-02309800-1507897021.jpg

Shortly after  they went broke and shut down.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

Really? You didn't have that ad down there? Maybe thats how they went broke - by limiting the advertising to the places that already knew about it!

I can't answer for Melbourne or Victoria; I was living in Brisbane at that time. :)

• Like 1

Just for you, Monkeysarefun. Found it on the web. Rare pic of Pipers Mead.

Allan

file.php?id=14732&sid=a021891bda1ed62783pay yo

Hi Allan, I've been trying to think of how to thank you for posting this picture , which gives me so many happy memories of reading the Railway Modeller when I was of an age when I had to be in bed by 7.30.

Then I remembered that I was allowed to stay up until 8.30 on a Thursday night because 'Rush' was on. Which was a  creaky TV series set in the Gold fields of Ballarat back in the days when there was just black and white.

It was necessary viewing if you didn't want to be left out of the play ground talks during little lunch at primary school. So in 1978 my memories are Allan Downes Railway Modeller articles and Rush.

Some wags have since found those creaky Rush episodes and revoiced them. I remember watching the Late Show back in the '90's when they first ran these and I LOL'ed back before LOL was even a thing, let alone ROFLMAOing. I still crack up - Governor Frontbottom, the fake moustaches..... maybe its just me!

So Allan, If you have a spare 50 minutes and want to LOL - why not give this a go!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Thanks, Yes we visited Healesville Sanctuary this May - a superb facility that allows very close encounters with many of your wildlife. I mentioned the Tassy Devils in an earlier post which were there - I've posted a short film although not sure it will work http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/australia2017

I expect we will visit the other zoos you mention in the next year or two, although I must admit that Australia generally does seem to have a very large number of zoos and several have been visited already. However, it is your wilderness that is more interesting for fauna and flora.

Paul

• Like 2

I can't answer for Melbourne or Victoria; I was living in Brisbane at that time. :)

I trust that you remember Bullen's African Lion Safari in Yatala?  It was much the same thing and is referenced here.

The penchant for 'big' roadside attractions was a curious thing since they are all a blight on the landscape, but we all flocked to them - the Big Pineapple (Nambour) was the grandfather of them all, but there were Big Bananas (Coff's Harbour), the Big Peanut (not necessarily a former Premier of Queensland), a Big Cow and many, many others.

• Like 2

Then when the mighty P76 was developed there were rows upon rows of them too. Trouble was, they never seemed to actually leave the Leyland distribution centre - just sit in rows upon rows... . I don't know why - they were a stuning car, especially in that brown they came in

Shortly after  they went broke and shut down.

At first I thought you said of the P76: "shortly after they broke down".

A university friend of mine had one - in burnt orange.

In Luxor, Egypt, their best effort zoo wise is a muddy enclosure on Crocodile Island which comprises of a mangy looking crocodile and a Pelican with only half a beak where the general consensus is  that the crocodile had everything to do with the other missing half.  

Apparently, it did have a camel too but nobody has seen it for years though it's suspected that the mangy crocodile had everything to do with that also.

In the hotel foyer itself  is a small poisonous snake exhibit housed in a glass cabinet where it's claimed that no one has ever seen any movement whatsoever since it was installed there let alone  a glimpse of a snake. Some people even come for their holidays and spend two weeks with eyes glued to the cabinet and cameras poised in readiness of any movement. The snake, incidentally, is supposed to be a 20 foot African python and, apart from being non poisonous, the glass cabinet is just about large enough to accommodate a snake half that size. 

So, entertainment wise, that's about the best that can be offered in  Luxor ( apart from watching the local taxi drivers trying to compete with each other for right of way at road junctions and roundabouts )

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 3

In Luxor, Egypt, their best effort zoo wise is a muddy enclosure on Crocodile Island which comprises of a mangy looking crocodile and a Pelican with only half a beak where the general consensus is  that the crocodile had everything to do with the other missing half.  

Apparently, it did have a camel too but nobody has seen it for years though it's suspected that the mangy crocodile had everything to do with that also.

In the hotel foyer itself  is a small poisonous snake exhibit housed in a glass cabinet where it's claimed that no one has ever seen any movement whatsoever since it was installed there let alone  a glimpse of a snake. Some people even come for their holidays and spend two weeks with eyes glued to the cabinet and cameras poised in readiness of any movement. The snake, incidentally, is supposed to be a 20 foot African python and, apart from being non poisonous, the glass cabinet is just about large enough to accommodate a snake half that size. 

So, entertainment wise, that's about the best that can be offered in  Luxor ( apart from watching the local taxi drivers trying to compete with each other for right of way at road junctions and roundabouts )

Reminds me of that zoo in China a couple of years ago which tried to pass off dogs as lions and leopards and so on:

Which did result in the best one liner in the history of everything:

"A Chinese zoo where all the animals are actually just dogs? That sounds like a   Shih Tzu!"

Edited by monkeysarefun

I trust that you remember Bullen's African Lion Safari in Yatala?  It was much the same thing and is referenced here.

The penchant for 'big' roadside attractions was a curious thing since they are all a blight on the landscape, but we all flocked to them - the Big Pineapple (Nambour) was the grandfather of them all, but there were Big Bananas (Coff's Harbour), the Big Peanut (not necessarily a former Premier of Queensland), a Big Cow and many, many others.

I wasn't sure whether I should mention having a peanut for Premier of Queensland for many years (politics!), but I did get a school prize presented by him. :) 

I never went to the Bullen's attraction, although it did get quite a bit of airplay. Yatala is more well known locally for its pies, nowadays (they are good). I did go through the Big Pineapple many times (a family connection through marriage). I loved the hinterland behind Nambour; there was a miniature English village at Flaxton with a British-style pub as well - I'm not sure if that still exists now, though.

Monkeyarefun: I'm not sure about Rush being "creaking"; I used to love that show too, and thought it was well done, certainly by the standards of the time. Production values have improved dramatically in the following decades; just look at some early episodes of Doctor Who (sorry, I know that's taking us off-topic a bit), which had a relatively low budget for most of its time on air to 1989; shaky sets, errors staying in because they couldn't afford any more edits, fluffed lines, and all, but it still stands up today through sheer character, and many (but not all) good story lines, and atmosphere. Back to Australia: of course, Ballarat still has its moments of fame with the Doctor Blake Mysteries now.

• Like 1

On the things that are big in Australia. Mention has already been given to the pineapple and the banana. Some of the other things are big , koala on the western hwy in Victoria, there is a prawn in Ballina NSW.. still have in my memory a distant relo saying it looked like it was coppulating with the building it was mounted on. There's the worm down near Phillip island, well ok the tourist information centre was made to look like the giant worm.

There's my list..

The anatomically correct  Big  Merino at Goulburn.

post-22541-0-36778400-1507943726.jpg

Gets 4 out of 5 Google review stars  - cruelly  brought down by someone unimpressed with the snow globe selection.

post-22541-0-44131300-1507943357_thumb.jpg

Fun fact, you can climb the stairs inside and see the world through the eyes of a sheep!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1