The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

More statistics from an American press perspective.

I'd never have guessed India as being so far up there in gun numbers.. You never hear about Indian gun massacres, maybe they can't shoot straight or something.

Here's an American perspective on Australia. The only copy I could find was from a re-recording by a lame Australian breakfast show hosted by 2 of our more 'simple' folk, so feel free to skip to about 20 seconds in.

Ironically, midway through one of those ticker tape banner things comes across the bottom announcing that 4 people were shot somewhere locally... none were killed though, maybe Indians aren't the only non straight shooters.

Part 2 follows on

but I think they forgot about part 3 because I can't find it. so far.

Edited by monkeysarefun

Here's an American perspective on Australia. The only copy I could find was from a re-recording by a lame Australian breakfast show hosted by 2 of our more 'simple' folk, so feel free to skip to about 20 seconds in.

If you Google "Daily Show, John Oliver, guns" you will find hits to the original. There are three segments that were presented over three days in the second act of "The Daily Show with John Stewart".

John Oliver was able to translate this effort into his own show (Last week tonight) - a weekly 30 minute comedy show where he takes a in-depth look at fairly serious topics in a humorous and irreverent way. It is very well done.

It is the role of the court jester to speak truth to power. All of the late night comics took on the shooting on Monday night.

Here is one:

Please do not think that everyone in the US thinks the same way about guns. It is a very divisive political issue.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

If you Google "Daily Show, John Oliver, guns" you will find hits to the original. There are three segments that were presented over three days in the second act of "The Daily Show with John Stewart".

John Oliver was able to translate this effort into his own show (Last week tonight) - a weekly 30 minute comedy show where he takes a in-depth look at fairly serious topics in a humorous and irreverent way. It is very well done.

It is the role of the court jester to speak truth to power. All of the late night comics took on the shooting on Monday night.

Here is one:

Please do not think that everyone in the US thinks the same way about guns. It is a very divisive political issue.

The most telling exchange in the John Oliver clip is when the US politician (Jim Manly?) says that the NRA is a very powerful organisation with 4 million members, and John Oliver asks sarcastically how can a country of 300 million people compete against that.

Until the US can man up and  call the NRA's bluff the same way we did to the shooting organisations here, nothing will change

Or maybe it just magically will,without the politicians needing to do anything  - . The Onion says it best:

http://www.theonion.com/article/americans-hopeful-will-be-last-mass-shooting-they--57093

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

Until the US can man up and  call the NRA's bluff the same way we did to the shooting organisations here, nothing will change

John Howard and the Australian Parliament did an outstanding job with the gun exchange program but you cannot compare 'shooting organizations' in Australia with the political influence of the NRA in the United States and the quasi-religious aspects of how people view the 2nd amendment.. The influence of the NRA is more than the sum of it's membership or campaign donations and deeply connected to what you might call the "Trump vote".

I think further commentary contravenes our self-imposed 'no politics' rules here.

John Howard and the Australian Parliament did an outstanding job with the gun exchange program but you cannot compare 'shooting organizations' in Australia with the political influence of the NRA in the United States and the quasi-religious aspects of how people view the 2nd amendment.. The influence of the NRA is more than the sum of it's membership or campaign donations and deeply connected to what you might call the "Trump vote".

I think further commentary contravenes our self-imposed 'no politics' rules here.

Yes, America news  does  get depressing, so to fix that, here is Australia's most loved native animal hero  after Skippy - Charlie The Wonder Dog.

• Like 1

As kids here in the UK, the gun was never glamourized beyond what it was where half a pound of plastic hanging off the hip was, even by the most fertile imagination, was never expected to kill  anyone although the instructions did tell those in search of more realism  that, with a little extra effort and originality, you could come pretty close by trying to stove your opponent's head in with the but - even though it might have been against the rules at the beginning of the game.

But American kids were different, they wanted to continue reality into adulthood where every corner store made it increasingly more possible by drilling out Junior's Smith & Wesson, chucking in 50 real, live, No Sirree Bob bullets with every new gun sold where you could pack it away discretely in your lunch pale along with the Chocolate Chip Cookies and lay out your whole class for real as  and for as long as it took you to reload  - but hey kids, the fully automatics are on their way !  Should be in a corner drug store near you any day now !  Ask Mom to save her pet food coupons ! We take 'em all ! 

"Jeeze Chuck ! How would ya like to go to school with two of THOSE hangin' off your hips, hey boy !!!

"Sure thing Dad. I'll get me a paper round and chop more wood "!

"The way to go Chuck. The way to go !"

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

My security camera picked up this.... I estimate it to be about a metre from end to end, and obviously deadly.

(included in the background  is my Australian citizenship proof   - compulsory Holden V8 ute!)

Handy Fun Hint: -  If you are feeling a little bit too happy and are wanting to sadden up a bit, why not do what I am doing and watch 'The Handmaids Tale' miniseries. (Currently on SBS on demand for all us downunder viewers)

Edited by monkeysarefun

My security camera picked up this.... I estimate it to be about a metre from end to end, and obviously deadly.

(included in the background  is my Australian citizenship proof   - compulsory Holden V8 ute!)

Handy Fun Hint: -  If you are feeling a little bit too happy and are wanting to sadden up a bit, why not do what I am doing and watch 'The Handmaids Tale' miniseries. (Currently on SBS on demand for all us downunder viewers)

Wimp! The one I get on one of my school's security cameras is at least twice the size of that one ... a good 2 metres across!!  ;)  :jester:

My hilarious month so far.

First up, Diabetes results. Everything firing on all cylinders, compulsory or of their own free will. Then flue jab nurse walks in.

"Ah, Mr D. Just one shot left. which arm ?"

"Eh ?"

Next day, totally wiped out. Now have raging flue that I didn't want before the NHS insisted that I should have.

Later a phone call from the hospital informs me that " We can't start your cancer chemo yet until you're either able to stand up on your own two feet or, considering the pointless situation of it all anyway, one foot at least. Bring a prop " 

Next day, a visit from the district nurse armed with a bicycle pump wants a blood sample 

" There's none left. Last nurse took it all. come back tomorrow "

She did. Drained me dry at the same time as recommending a quick, painless local undertaker who'll dig a standard size hole at only half the required depth and twice the required price. Competitive I thought. Told her he's got a deal but not to start digging yet as I've promised a free pint of bleed to a certain McMillan nurse who's due to day and willing to discuss the latest cuts and shades in nurses underwear.

More later as health, good news and nurses fashions permits.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

My hilarious month so far.

First up, Diabetes results. Everything firing on all cylinders, compulsory or of their own free will. Then flue jab nurse walks in.

"Ah, Mr D. Just one shot left. which arm ?"

"Eh ?"

Next day, totally wiped out. Now have raging flue that I didn't want before the NHS insisted that I should have.

Later a phone call from the hospital informs me that " We can't start your cancer chemo yet until you're either able to stand up on your own two feet or, considering the pointless situation of it all anyway, one foot at least. Bring a prop " 

Next day, a visit from the district nurse armed with a bicycle pump wants a blood sample 

" There's none left. Last nurse took it all. come back tomorrow "

She did. Drained me dry at the same time as recommending a quick, painless local undertaker who'll dig a standard size hole at only half the required depth and twice the required price. Competitive I thought. Told her he's got a deal but not to start digging yet as I've promised a free pint of bleed to a certain McMillan nurse who's due to day and willing to discuss the latest cuts and shades in nurses underwear.

More later as health, good news and nurses fashions permits.

You should have taken a leaf out of Tony Hancock's book and told the nurse she could only have an armful of blood.! ;)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

Australians, of course, not being content with the positive cornucopia of native lethal things, have enthusiastically imported others. With Canberra's oak trees came the deathcap toadstool. In spite of prominent and unambiguous warning signs (see below), at least one Darwin Award nominee every year whips a few of them into a tasty stew and poisons either themselves or, in some cases, a dinner-party's worth of close friends. Extra points may be gained by claiming that the offending fungus was purchased from Coles or Woolies (antipodean supermarket chains) rather than admitting to being terminally stupid.

Mushrooms.jpg

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

Australians, of course, not being content with the positive cornucopia of native lethal things, have enthusiastically imported others.

The various Acclimatisation Societies of the 19th century really laid the foundations, though arguably the fool who introduced rabbits merely because he wanted something to have a potshot at had the greatest effect.

Canberra's oak trees came the deathcap toadstool. In spite of prominent and unambiguous warning signs (see below), at least one Darwin Award nominee every year whips a few of them into a tasty stew and poisons either themselves or, in some cases, a dinner-party's worth of close friends. Extra points may be gained by claiming that the offending fungus was purchased from Coles or Woolies (antipodean supermarket chains) rather than admitting to being terminally stupid.

Mushrooms.jpg

Anyone for stake-a-kidney pie?

That, of course, could only happen in Australia.

"Mom ! There's a great white in the pool and Tommy won't let me have my flippers back ! !

" Just swim round it for now  and don't throw things at it. I'm far too busy to be hooking sharks out of the pool right now and tell Tommy if he doesn't give you your flippers back he'll be wearing one across his backside !"

That's Cronulla for you. I think they had riots on the beach many years ago involving the Aussie Greek and Aussie Lebanese lads.

Cronulla is in a different universe called 'The Shire" which everyone else in the world  knows as a place where hobbits live but  here in Sydney it is the whitest of all places - famous for that series that you British made back in the 1990's

The riots were actually due to the perception by the magnificent white  Cronulla surfer Gods  that gang loads of gentlemen of Middle Eastern appearance who live in suburbs far from the beach and are therefore unworthy of going to the beach were taking over the beach by catching the train there to   yell stuff  at girls, yell insults at life savers  and drink beer on the beach - things that only true born-here Australian blokes  are allowed to do.

Edited by monkeysarefun

Due to our long distances driver fatigue is a very serious problem here, accounting for a large proportion of our car accident statistics. In an attempt to prevent drowsy drivers falling asleep and crashing, road sign writers here go all out to keep the trip interesting

post-22541-0-73542300-1507722711.jpg

post-22541-0-43994500-1507722735.jpg

post-22541-0-65333200-1507722751.jpg

post-22541-0-00183700-1507722765.jpg

post-22541-0-56371700-1507722779.jpg

post-22541-0-72474800-1507722792.jpg

post-22541-0-71466100-1507722808.jpg

post-22541-0-49271600-1507722830.jpg

post-22541-0-29010100-1507722847.jpg

post-22541-0-36965800-1507722864.jpg

post-22541-0-95543800-1507722892_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-69998500-1507722908_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-34382900-1507722936.jpg

• Like 7

The various Acclimatisation Societies of the 19th century really laid the foundations, though arguably the fool who introduced rabbits merely because he wanted something to have a potshot at had the greatest effect.

Red foxes too were introduced here in the 1830's so that homesick English gents could ride around going Tally Ho and hunting them. Now there are 6.2 million of them here (foxes, not homesick English gents).

, Interestingly, they were introduced to Tasmania too for the same reason but they never got established and now there are none there, the theory is that the Tassie Devil did them in.

post-22541-0-18463900-1507724225_thumb.png

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OI!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

.....gentlemen of Middle Eastern appearance who live in suburbs far from the beach........true born-here Australian blokes.....

Surely one and the same nowadays?

I thought the most common surname in Australia was, errm, Nguyen.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

I do believe it was Cook who first introduced the ' Lesser four fanged Spotted Pom ' to Australia when he thought he'd discovered Africa instead

However, it didn't take long for the indigenous population to put them down with darts dipped in poisonous frogs and later it wasn't until a century or so had passed before a deal was struck with the British Government thus allowing a small minority ( 20,000,000 a day ) to be settle in an area then known as Queensland a name which was believed to have been derived from an Aboriginal Cheiftan and also believed to have be the one who chucked a spear at Cook and hit his dog instead and later explaining to his tribe that "The sun was in my eyes "

Red foxes too were introduced here in the 1830's so that homesick English gents could ride around going Tally Ho and hunting them. Now there are 6.2 million of them here (foxes, not homesick English gents).

, Interestingly, they were introduced to Tasmania too for the same reason but they never got established and now there are none there, the theory is that the Tassie Devil did them in.

attachicon.gifdevil1.png

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OI!

Having watched a pair of Devils at a zoo tear a carcase to shreds I'll believe the story, the efete little European fox wouldn't stand a chance against them!

Paul