The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

About 30 years ago the school where I taught had an excursion to Rickett's Point near Beaumaris on Port Phillip Bay, Victoria where there are lots of rock pools of huge interest to 8 - 9 year old Primary students. We had done a lot of preliminary work regarding the kinds of creatures we expected to see, and above all, the safety aspects - particularly if we came across a blue-ringed octopus. The kids all had to wear old runners (trainers??) to avoid any cuts to feet, together with kitchen tongs to pick anything up, and straightened-out wire coat hangers to move any loose rocks.

Of course, who managed to dislodge a rock with his coat-hanger but the most impetuous lad in my class . . . and out shot a blue-ringed octopus! They are absolutely amazing creatures as the blue rings only show up when they are agitated.They are not very big, about the size of the palm of your hand, but absolutely deadly nevertheless. It then zoomed across the pool looking for another safe spot  for itself in the shadows, the only thing it was interested in doing. I was filming with the school's ancient and very bulky VHS video recorder slung over one shoulder, the camera in one hand trying to capture the shot of the rings appearing, and seizing the lad's arm as he quite naturally reached forward with his hand!!! Luckily I grabbed him in time and I did manage to capture some of the octopus on tape and it was invaluable as a follow-up later at school to reinforce the message of not to be scared, but be very careful indeed. We all learned a tremendous lesson that day, myself included, and especially the young lad who nearly came to grief. Even the next day it was obvious his interest was sparked by events and his maturity seemed to improve quite markedly after that. Life - definitely a continuous lesson!   

Graeme

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I hear Cassowaries are nastier.

They certainly can be.  Even bigger than an emu, standing taller than many humans and with a face only another cassowary could love!  This is one of a pair which followed me up the street in Kuranda.  Never ever expected to see Cassowaries as there are only around 1100 or so left on the planet.

post-3305-0-04699500-1502354226_thumb.jpg

And another thing.  Bl00dy IBIS.  You think the world has a seagull problem?  Try living with ibis.  Huge airborne rats with razor-sharp curved bills that are great for ripping open bin bags.

post-3305-0-26898500-1502354393_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

We have a pretty decent sized Bungarra (aka Racehorse or Sand Goanna) that lives near us, it wanders around  my block and the one next door, it's been here for years getting slowly bigger and probably around the 4ft mark now.

My Wife doesn't like it so much, but I can tell you that in 10 years I have only seen 3 snakes in My block, I only have a barb wire / mesh fence and live in an area where snakes are pretty numerous. (Snakes are a favourite snack for Bungarra's).

Bungarra's are pretty harmless to people, but can be spooked when chased by a dog and have been known to run up people and sit on their heads believing them to be a nice safe tree. (shredding the unsuspecting victim to bits with their claws on the way up !)

There's no chance of outrunning them (hence the Name Racehorse goanna) and the best thing to do is lie down if they run at you.

I don't have a dog to chase it, so have convinced SWMBO that she's pretty safe :) Although she won't go out if it's around. I keep tying to get a photo, but am usually too slow to get the camera.

But here is a link if you are interested -

https://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/94008/716498/f/6928268-Bungarra-0.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 6

.....Mate of mine at Uni was an avid rock climber. He tells a story of a technical climb (using pitons) where he pulled himself up a ledge to come face to fangs with a brown snake sunning on the ledge. He fell. He tells the story with animation making a 'ping' noise representing each of the pitons anchoring his rope popping out of the rock wall during his free fall. The last piton and his climbing mate on the other end held. His leg got entangled in the rope and had a big egg shaped bulge on his shin as the conversation starter for that story.....

I get the feeling that he quite enjoyed the experience, possibly enough to do it all over again in order to have an even more animated story to tell!

• RMweb Premium

We have a pretty decent sized Bungarra (aka Racehorse or Sand Goanna) that lives near us, it wanders around  my block and the one next door, it's been here for years getting slowly bigger and probably around the 4ft mark now.

My Wife doesn't like it so much, but I can tell you that in 10 years I have only seen 3 snakes in My block, I only have a barb wire / mesh fence and live in an area where snakes are pretty numerous. (Snakes are a favourite snack for Bungarra's).

Bungarra's are pretty harmless to people, but can be spooked when chased by a dog and have been known to run up people and sit on their heads believing them to be a nice safe tree. (shredding the unsuspecting victim to bits with their claws on the way up !)

There's no chance of outrunning them (hence the Name Racehorse goanna) and the best thing to do is lie down if they run at you.

I don't have a dog to chase it, so have convinced SWMBO that she's pretty safe :) Although she won't go out if it's around. I keep tying to get a photo, but am usually too slow to get the camera.

But here is a link if you are interested -

https://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/94008/716498/f/6928268-Bungarra-0.jpg

I recall one being roasted for dinner in the film 'Walkabout', mind you thats one film where I wasn't paying much attention to the wildlife. :secret:

About 30 years ago the school where I taught had an excursion to Rickett's Point near Beaumaris on Port Phillip Bay, Victoria where there are lots of rock pools of huge interest to 8 - 9 year old Primary students. We had done a lot of preliminary work regarding the kinds of creatures we expected to see, and above all, the safety aspects - particularly if we came across a blue-ringed octopus. The kids all had to wear old runners (trainers??) to avoid any cuts to feet, together with kitchen tongs to pick anything up, and straightened-out wire coat hangers to move any loose rocks.

Of course, who managed to dislodge a rock with his coat-hanger but the most impetuous lad in my class . . . and out shot a blue-ringed octopus! They are absolutely amazing creatures as the blue rings only show up when they are agitated.They are not very big, about the size of the palm of your hand, but absolutely deadly nevertheless. It then zoomed across the pool looking for another safe spot  for itself in the shadows, the only thing it was interested in doing. I was filming with the school's ancient and very bulky VHS video recorder slung over one shoulder, the camera in one hand trying to capture the shot of the rings appearing, and seizing the lad's arm as he quite naturally reached forward with his hand!!! Luckily I grabbed him in time and I did manage to capture some of the octopus on tape and it was invaluable as a follow-up later at school to reinforce the message of not to be scared, but be very careful indeed. We all learned a tremendous lesson that day, myself included, and especially the young lad who nearly came to grief. Even the next day it was obvious his interest was sparked by events and his maturity seemed to improve quite markedly after that. Life - definitely a continuous lesson!   

Graeme

I worry about the kids today!

Being young enough in the '70's  that I was in my pyjamas by 6.30 on a Sunday night I do remember every TV channel always seemed to have documentaries at that hour  about all the stuff here  that could kill you. They had titles like "Venomous Australians" and "The Deadliest Australians" etc.

We have so much that can kill you that they didn't even usually need to mention sharks and crocs, Just the spiders, snakes (just a couple of these otherwise the show would go for ages  if they mentioned them all)   and stuff in rock pools would easily fill  an hour.

The cone shell, the stonefish, the blue ringed octopus, the sea wasp, the box jellyfish, some sea snakes, the  obvious spiders, even the platypus can do you in

. So I'd go to the beach and every rock was a potential stonefish, every shell was likely to kill me, every rock ledge was hiding an octopus that would have me screaming in agony for the 10 seconds before I popped my little clogs. So therefore  I was very careful!

The thing is though that I haven't seen any of these shows for years now that its all dancing with the 'stars' and screeching harpies in singing contests. How do the young folk these days get to know about this stuff? If they saw a blue ringed octopus they'd probably try to get a selfie with it....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

I suppose there's always Wikipedia

True... but you need to know that there is such a thing as a blue ringed octopus so that you could look it up.

These parents didn't know about it until they encountered one and then googled it..

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3753867/boy-picks-up-deadly-blue-ring-octopus/

Where were this kids parents in the '70's on a Sunday night at 6.30? Probably watching Countdown on the ABC.

Edited by monkeysarefun

I worry about the kids today!

Being young enough in the '70's  that I was in my pyjamas by 6.30 on a Sunday night I do remember every TV channel always seemed to have documentaries at that hour  about all the stuff here  that could kill you. 

As a bloke of what sounds like a similiar age. I remember many of those programs, here's a couple of reminders -

In the wild with Harry Butler (the mad old b*gger who used to grab everything by the tail)

Ask the Leyland Brothers (Travel all over the countryside - with Mike and Mal)

There was Ron and Valerie Taylor who did all the Shark Documentaries

and every young fellows favourite - Alby Mangels (mainly because he always seemed to have a "Talented" Blonde in a Bikini tagging along).

• Like 1

This is what you really need to worry about.

They're only small and like to hide in Shells, drink cans and bottles any thing that has a nice dark nook or cranny.

Usually the things your kids like to pick up at the beach.

Nasty little B*ggers (the blue ringed occy - not the kids :))

attachicon.gifBlue Ringed Occy.jpg

Yes. I was on a Biology excursion to the mud flats at Wellington Point, south east of Brisbane, many years ago. We saw many eels and crabs, mud skippers and lots of shellfish. One of the guys on the excursion picked up a bivalve shell and opened, gave a sharp gasp and snapped it shut again. It contained a blue ringed octopus.

The shell, compete with octopus was taken back to Queensland University's biology department and placed in the seaquarium (a salt water aquarium). Two or three days later, there was not only the original blue ringed octopus swimming around, but lots of tiny little blue ringed octopi as well!

• Like 7

As a bloke of what sounds like a similiar age. I remember many of those programs, here's a couple of reminders -

In the wild with Harry Butler (the mad old b*gger who used to grab everything by the tail)

Ask the Leyland Brothers (Travel all over the countryside - with Mike and Mal)

There was Ron and Valerie Taylor who did all the Shark Documentaries

and every young fellows favourite - Alby Mangels (mainly because he always seemed to have a "Talented" Blonde in a Bikini tagging along).

Ha ha As  I was reading your list I thought "He hasn't mentioned Alby Mangels!" and then you did.

He did meet a lot of blondes in bikinis! It  all went down hill for him if I recall, when his dramatic footage of his dog falling out of his speeding four wheel drive was revealed to be him pushing his dog out of his speeding four wheel drive for dramatic effect. Alledgedly.

Malcolm Douglas was the thinking persons Leyland Bro I think.

There must have been a time in the '70's when you couldn't go anywhere off the beaten track without bumping into one of these blokes with their film crew poking something with a stick so it would attack them for the camera!

• Like 2

"Biosecurity is taken seriously in Australia.  Sort of.  Its isolation means that it doesn't have many of the common pests and diseases known everywhere else.  Its farming economy might not survive a serious outbreak of something nasty.  You can't legally bring in anything edible (not even that pack of cough sweets/lollies/candy) unless you declare it to Customs and they approve.  Mostly they're reasonable.  Tell them you have a sealed pack of choccy biscuits you bought in London as a gift for your mother and they'll let it in.  Try to sneak it through without declaring it and they'll nab it - those sniffer dogs they have in the terminals are rather good at their job.  Travel into or out of the fruit-fly exclusion zone and you'll see signs and bins as shown in a post above.  The chances of being stopped and checked are very very small though the penalties exceed a slap on the wrist if you're caught."

When my mate Dave arrived here in 1971(no sniffer dogs then!!),  he attempted to pass through customs and was told to to open his bags, the ensuing search eventually revealed a rather soggy package at the bottom of his carry on luggage. A please explain followed! In the package were four cheese and tomato sandwiches lovingly prepared by his mum for the journey.....Dave had completely forgotten about them!!. The Customs official gingerly picked them up and deposited them into an appropriate receptacle and with a glare told Dave to move on.

Mike

Could have been worse - in 1971 I reckon most brits still came by ship. That would have been one pack of  furry sandwiches!

Edited by monkeysarefun

I get the feeling that he quite enjoyed the experience, possibly enough to do it all over again in order to have an even more animated story to tell!

Not at the time. Imminent death felt much more than an abstract idea. He did however enjoy telling the story.

My now partner wandered down my back yard one morning after a sleep over  and called out "Hey theres a snake here"   I went down to check it out, assuming it would be a bit of rope or a stick or something only to discover that it was actually a Tiger snake,

By the time I got down there it had retreated and was hiding along  the track of my downstairs rumpus room sliding door, where we left it to find its own way to wherever it wanted to go, because they are a  protected species and you can't kill them,  and annoying them by poking them with a stick is only allowed if you are a '70's wildlife documentary team. ..

Although it is only the worlds 6th most deadly snake and therefore a bit lame , I was still impressed by her coolness about it all so decided then that  she's a keeper. (My partner, not the snake..)

Also have  had 2 eastern  brown snakes curled up on my pavers  enjoying the sun, You can't disturb them because, they really do have anger management issues, and that combined with their number 2 place  on the worlds most deadly list does make their appearance in your back yard quite  a buzz.. Luckily we have a great network of volunteer wildlife organizations here that you can call up and they'll be around to relieve you of the problem  and relocate it free of charge.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Could have been worse - in 1971 I reckon most brits still came by ship. That would have been one pack of  furry sandwiches!

We came on the"Milk Run" London,Frankfurt. Bahrain,Delhi, Bangkok, Singapore,Melbourne around 36 hours travel time and off the top of my head around 27 hours in the air, so the sammos whilst not furry didn't look particularly attractive. All this on a Boeing 707..........long bloody trip, many cans of Flag Ale were consumed en route. As an aside when we flew over the Northern Australian coastline, the Captain said over the intercom...........All of you migrants who wish to have a first view of your new home please look out of the aircraft windows on the left hand side.........but not all at once!!!!...........true story.

• Like 2

We came on the"Milk Run" London,Frankfurt. Bahrain,Delhi, Bangkok, Singapore,Melbourne around 36 hours travel time and off the top of my head around 27 hours in the air, so the sammos whilst not furry didn't look particularly attractive. All this on a Boeing 707..........long bloody trip, many cans of Flag Ale were consumed en route. As an aside when we flew over the Northern Australian coastline, the Captain said over the intercom...........All of you migrants who wish to have a first view of your new home please look out of the aircraft windows on the left hand side.........but not all at once!!!!...........true story.

The bit that sticks with me most about your post is the mention of Flag Ale,!

post-22541-0-14309400-1502374183.jpg

That seemed to be part of everyday life when I was little ,like Lady Scott tissues and Bernard King -  but then unnoticed, they all  slipped away.

But ... one day, beer archeologists will discover it on youtube.

(Warning to those in the UK  - this clip includes  scenes of extreme Australianess, budgie smugglers, sheilas and Merve Hughes moustaches, so viewing discretion is advised,)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Honestly there are native Australians that I couldn't understand while living there. I will say that there are some native Gaels (Irish and others) do something to the English language that I find quite impenetrable.

Accents are funny things. I have lived in the US for 30 years and my mother taught me to speak 'properly' (my younger siblings all have stronger 'strine' that I do) but I cannot use a drive through in the US (without some measure of frustration) because the combination of bad audio equipment and English-as-a-second-language help, cannot interpret my accent.

• Like 2

Isn't that a bit superfluous? I thought "Australianess" was about as extreme as you could get  :O

It seems they don't let in foreign accents either....

Hey, that IS a real problem  and its at the Irish end I reckon.

Proof -

I worked at an Australian army location, we had a private manning  the helpdesk who was Irish.

The phone would ring and he'd answer it and fix their problems over the phone. Sometimes he'd have to spell out words, and when that happenned it would be great because we'd all wait for hm to have to say  the letter 'r' because it would come out "RARRRHRRRHAH' because he's Irish and apparently no  Australian; can understand that,

So the conversation would be ."Ok sir hit Enter. Thats the Enter key .NO its written on the key. No its the key with the letters E N T E RARRRHRRRHAH. No sir RARRRHRRRHAH. No RARRRHRRRHAH .. no sir the RARRRHRRRHAH key.. "

This would go on for ages! and be hilarious.

No that s H I L A RARRRHRRRHAH I O U S.

Isn't Queensland where all the mad people tend to live?

Some may draw comparisons between Queensland and Florida.

Queensland has been called the deep north, but trust me on this, Floridians are way crazier than Queenslanders.

I am a banana-bender and could be accused of favoritism, but I believe this is objectively accurate and Floridians have the protections of the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution which is something that infects even Queenslanders much less.

Living every day amongst giant reptiles that stopped evolving millions of years ago might have something to do with it. That or the tropical heat. Perhaps though, Noel Coward has the last word on the 'midday sun'.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1