The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

Ooo eck, here we go again...

Troubled shipyard given another £14m - but no ferry contract - Scottish ministers are to invest a further £14m in the Ferguson Marine Port Glasgow shipyard. The announcement came after the government confirmed the yard would not be directly awarded a contract to replace CalMac's ageing fleet of small ferries, with the contract put out to competitive tender. Ferguson Marine has overseen the long-delayed delivery of two larger ferries for CalMac's busy Arran route.

More money? But for what?

Deputy First Minister Kate Forbes said a direct award would have meant "substantial risks and uncertainties" due to UK subsidy laws. Phase one of the small vessels replacement programme (SVRP) will involve replacing seven ferries on the Clyde and Hebrides network with all-electric boats. It is estimated to cost about £175m, with up to three more ferries to follow in phase two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxe2l0jp2gno

Big deja-vu feeling about this. Wasn't the big excuse (for all the delays and failures with the two larger ferries) the novelty of the design in a shipyard that had no experience of building those kind of ferries? So now they want to start making all-electric boats.

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Big deja-vu feeling about this. Wasn't the big excuse (for all the delays and failures with the two larger ferries) the novelty of the design in a shipyard that had no experience of building those kind of ferries? So now they want to start making all-electric boats.

They've already built three electric small vessels of exactly this type for Calmac, the only difference being in their case they were also hybrids. They were delivered in 2013/2014/2016.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

In the 'Big Ditch' last night, 'Arklow Fern' transferred from Runcorn to Irwell Park (Eccles) to load scrap metal for export. She was held up for over an hour at Barton owing to problems with the swing aqueduct, but eventually that was resolved. A gloomy evening though! Arklows used to be quite common here on grain traffic to Cargills, but that hasn't run for a couple of years now. The scrap traffic generates 4 to 6 sailings a year.

Arklow Fern, Barton

In sunnier conditions last week, 'Happy Falcon' had brought a cargo of propylene to the chemical plant at Carrington, and is seen in this sequence proceeding up to Irlam Locks and then swinging to head back down the canal and on to Antwerp. The propylene traffic generates about 2 sailings a year.

Happy Falcon, CLC Bridge

Happy Falcon, CLC Bridge

Happy Falcon swinging

Happy Falcon, Irlam

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2024 at 02:19, jjb1970 said:

The best ships I sailed on were built by IHI at their yard in Kure, Japan.

The best I sailed on was built by Mitsubishi!  A close second when new was by Chantiers Dunkerque (although two earlier builds were noting like as well built), but as she aged (after my time) she developed a lot of alternator engine problems, ending up with the French Crepelle (you can guess....) engines being totally replaced.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while since we've had any car carriers, so a couple of recent ones, showing two of the MOL liveries carried by their ACE vehicle carrier fleet.

Car313.jpg

Car311.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the more striking indicators of how much the box boat industry has changed is the consolidation of the container interests of MOL, NYK and K into ONE (which is legally a Singaporean company even though everyone knows it's really Japanese). When I was on box boats all three were major players in the segment, now even ONE is hovering between big and also ran compared to MSC, Maersk and CMA-CGM and with those three anxiously looking over their shoulders at COSCO.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Another interesting aspect of ONE is their CEO is British, it's kind of sad that British CEOs often do better overseas (for example Tim Clark at Emirates) in corporate cultures where there is more emphasis on building actual shareholder value than short term dividends and share price.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 years ago we spent a few days in Szczeczin. 

Whilst cycling around the city, on a whim we went on  a boat trip round the port. 

Bulk carriers (?)  were quite popular

20220810_132539.jpg.a34c614522cf497e21b5f2870a76ceea.jpg

20220810_132005.jpg.4f70b2211e9a19b5aae8aeb45b638197.jpg

20220810_125150.jpg.ef3531f28e4f810b7f0fd410c02f2d26.jpg

20220810_124749.jpg.d959136142144b9401ea7ffb0b24e51e.jpg

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

2 years ago we spent a few days in Szczeczin. 

Whilst cycling around the city, on a whim we went on  a boat trip round the port. 

Bulk carriers (?)  were quite popular

20220810_132539.jpg.a34c614522cf497e21b5f2870a76ceea.jpg

20220810_132005.jpg.4f70b2211e9a19b5aae8aeb45b638197.jpg

20220810_125150.jpg.ef3531f28e4f810b7f0fd410c02f2d26.jpg

20220810_124749.jpg.d959136142144b9401ea7ffb0b24e51e.jpg

Andy

Around the same time as you, we had a holiday in Swinoujscie, which is at the mouth of the inlet that leads to the Szczecin Lagoon, then to Szczecin, plenty of shipping passing, unfortunately did not take many photos, we drove vie Hamburg and the island of Usadom.

Polish tug.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, fulton said:

Around the same time as you, we had a holiday in Swinoujscie, which is at the mouth of the inlet that leads to the Szczecin Lagoon, then to Szczecin, plenty of shipping passing, unfortunately did not take many photos, we drove vie Hamburg and the island of Usadom.

Polish tug.jpg

We were in Swinoujscie around 14 years ago and thought it quite mad that there was a free ferry across to the town after getting off the train. 

AIUI there's a tunnel now

Didn't see much shipping during the visit apart from a couple of ferries which I presume ran the route to Sweden. 

Further east the Poles have built a new access from the Baltic to Elblag that avoids the need to use Russian waters to access the lagoon ( Zalew Wislany) and very swish it is with a swing bridge at each end of the lock so that the road is never closed when ships pass through

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

We were in Swinoujscie around 14 years ago and thought it quite mad that there was a free ferry across to the town after getting off the train. 

AIUI there's a tunnel now

The tunnel was almost complete when we were there, the ferry was also free for locally registered vehicles, the station in that part of the town was unusual in that the trains only went to Germany, or rather the rest of the island of Usedom.

Poland station.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fulton said:

The tunnel was almost complete when we were there, the ferry was also free for locally registered vehicles, the station in that part of the town was unusual in that the trains only went to Germany, or rather the rest of the island of Usedom.

Poland station.jpg

I'd forgotten about the second station. 

We used it for a day out in Stralsund and a tour of a submarine in Peenemunde. 

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, SM42 said:

I'd forgotten about the second station. 

We used it for a day out in Stralsund and a tour of a submarine in Peenemunde

Andy

Preserved U-boat or something newer?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Preserved U-boat or something newer?

Reminds we, when on holiday on the German island of Rugan, in the Baltic, a U Boat museum was advertised, not what I expected, was HMS OTUS, I can visit the sister submarine HMS OCELOT, just over the river from me in Chatham Dockyard, was still interesting. A maritime museum was a small barge sitting in a field, but the transport museum near Binz was very impressive, well worth a visit.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I assume its still this Soviet one.......

4-786.JPG.84095e2da0029cc3c2f247ee3c8d2a4d.JPG

That's the one. 

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fulton said:

Reminds we, when on holiday on the German island of Rugan, in the Baltic, a U Boat museum was advertised, not what I expected, was HMS OTUS, I can visit the sister submarine HMS OCELOT, just over the river from me in Chatham Dockyard, was still interesting. A maritime museum was a small barge sitting in a field, but the transport museum near Binz was very impressive, well worth a visit.

We were alongside in Mukran for a couple of weeks back in 2018 after fitting a crane on a wind farm offshore substation.  There was not much going on so one day we cycled up to Binz for a beer and had a look in the transport museum on the way past.  It was very impressive, I particularly liked the steam powered snow blower.  I also had a trip to the submarine in Sassnitz as my uncle had sailed on HMS Otter.

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

• Like 6

A few more photo's of the museum.  I seem to remember the bike ride back to the ship being a lot slower after the beer was consumed in Binz (the crane operator had to be helped back on his bike at least once!).

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

• Like 6