The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

300 Tons CrankShaft:This is the crankshaft for a Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C engine, the largest reciprocating engine in the world, used in large container ships. It's a 1810-litre engine that generates 108,920 horsepower at 102 RPM, and it idles at 22 RPM... almost 3 seconds per rotation.

image.png.ccc9da72ba8e37a8141d97e1b2dd208b.png

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

300 Tons CrankShaft:This is the crankshaft for a Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C engine, the largest reciprocating engine in the world, used in large container ships. It's a 1810-litre engine that generates 108,920 horsepower at 102 RPM, and it idles at 22 RPM... almost 3 seconds per rotation.

image.png.ccc9da72ba8e37a8141d97e1b2dd208b.png

I saw some big Sulzer engines at the Winterthur factory in 1982 but I don't think they were as big as that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The old Sulzer engine business is now WinGD, they're still headquartered in Winterthur but are owned by CSSC of China. Wartsila bought NSD (the engine business had already been spun off by Sulzer) to enter the two stroke slow speed engine market but their heart was never really in it and the big engine line didn't get the investment it needed to compete with MAN. Since being sold off they seem to be developing some interesting stuff.  I always liked Sulzer, the RTA was an excellent engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Wartsila also annoyed a lot of loyal Sulzer customers by pulling the ZA40 medium speed engine after they bought the company. The ZA40 had Sulzer's clever rotating piston design, it's an idea that sounds like a horrible complication but they were excellent engines which had a strong niche in the ferry and cruise segments. Sulzer had a long history of doing things differently. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The ZA40 had Sulzer's clever rotating piston design, it's an idea that sounds like a horrible complication but they were excellent engines

Err, what is a rotating piston design?

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Err, what is a rotating piston design?

The piston rotated, it had a ratchet mechanism so that it rotated a click with every revolution of the crankshaft. Rather than a gudgeon pin it had a spherical bearing arrangement. Very clever.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Today, we travelled on the BC Ferries route from Buckley Bay terminal (on Vancouver Island) to Denman West terminal on Denman Island. Two boats were operating, one of them BC Ferries only cable ferry, on what is claimed to be the longest cable ferry crossing in the world.

The BC Ferries website says the length of the cable is over 2 km. (I presume that’s between the anchor points.) Wikipedia says the crossing is precisely 1961.48 metres. (I’m guessing that’s the distance actually travelled by the ferry.) I don’t know about that - it looked more like 1961.36 metres to me.

• Like 4

This might not exactly be the intended subject, but I hope it's at least in the right spirit; I'm considering a 1930's era dockside layout in OO, and I was wondering what RTP/kitbuild ships are out there that are suitable for the era?

8 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

This might not exactly be the intended subject, but I hope it's at least in the right spirit; I'm considering a 1930's era dockside layout in OO, and I was wondering what RTP/kitbuild ships are out there that are suitable for the era?

Have you decided on a location?

I've used some of the Scalescenes ships for a dockside scene, some of the smaller/older ones might be suitable for 1930s?

https://scalescenes.com/dockscenes/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, pH said:

Today, we travelled on the BC Ferries route from Buckley Bay terminal (on Vancouver Island) to Denman West terminal on Denman Island. Two boats were operating, one of them BC Ferries only cable ferry, on what is claimed to be the longest cable ferry crossing in the world.

The BC Ferries website says the length of the cable is over 2 km. (I presume that’s between the anchor points.) Wikipedia says the crossing is precisely 1961.48 metres. (I’m guessing that’s the distance actually travelled by the ferry.) I don’t know about that - it looked more like 1961.36 metres to me.

Some details here .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Baynes_Sound_Connector

• Like 1

Talking of BC ferries, we had the joy of taking one last summer from Victoria to Salt Spring Island. All very wonderful and highly recommended if you happen to be in the area.

IMG_3801.jpeg.a6204c3070e85b0dd5950d36e1ce8ec7.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg.316dedcfe07d0145f52e36ca1df545be.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A couple of bulk carriers in the anchorage bunkering, for those outside shipping which may not be familiar with the term bunkering is the term used for loading fuel (bunkers). Singapore is the worlds major bunker hub.

Bulk96.jpg

Bulk100.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The fuel terminal for Changi airport, from my flight landing on Saturday. Changi brings in fuel by sea and the terminal is busy, they must use huge quantities of fuel. Also visible are a couple of emergency response hovercraft.

Tanker119.jpg.e6905963f0a27ae2cb89b8a25af8d9de.jpg

Tanker118.jpg

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The fuel spill was the main news item as it's had a big impact on the local tleisure areas as beaches which are still closed I think and has affected fisheries and wildlife. The spill has also affected Johor Bahru. 

An oddity which may seem strange is that the bunker barge is the ship with legal liability, so its insurers will be required to pay compensation, and above their liability limit the IOPC funds will pay out. This is despite the fact it was stationary, tied up to a box boat and did nothing wrong, being hit by a dredger. The system is based on releasing funds to those affected by spills quickly and with minimum delay using a polluter pays without attaching blame principle (although blame may be assigned by subsequent investigations). The bunker barge and it's insurers can them chase the dredger to seek compensation.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, NZRedBaron said:

It's a small fishing village in north-west Norfolk, a little to the east of the mouth of The Wash.

So I guess the smaller boats at Kings Lynn would be a good reference point for the types of vessel that might be seen. A google image search for 'Kings Lynn Boats 1930' suggests that many of the smaller vessels still had sails at that time, though some may also have had an early IC engine. 

This may also be of use for images and dimensions of typical vessels of the region:

https://floatourboat.co.uk/about/

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 26/06/2024 at 12:17, Flanged Wheel said:

Talking of BC ferries, we had the joy of taking one last summer from Victoria to Salt Spring Island. All very wonderful and highly recommended if you happen to be in the area.

IMG_3801.jpeg.a6204c3070e85b0dd5950d36e1ce8ec7.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg.316dedcfe07d0145f52e36ca1df545be.jpeg

Ye gads, how did it get up that  mountain?  Must’ve been going some…

Edited by The Johnster