The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

I never experienced a runaway like that, but a pal did on one of the bulkers, it was a Doxford (everyone shudders collectively) 8J76 IIRC, the Cambridgeshire, a Panamax vessel.  They had an exhaust boiler fire and the draught pulling through over-revved the blowers to the point one exploded, bits all over the engineroom. Eeuww.

I do recall running up the exhaust trunking in a crouch, of an RND90 not too long after stopping, picking bits of piston ring out of the catchers, when it was FAR too hot to really be in there.  The Second seeing what I was made of, I think.  

I think we burned something like 120 tons of heavy oil a day on the biggest ship I sailed on, the Derbyshire (yes....) which had a B&W 8K98FF at about 30k bhp.  Horrid thing. Its fair to say I was a Sulzer fanboy despite the scavenges! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I never experienced a runaway like that, but a pal did on one of the bulkers, it was a Doxford (everyone shudders collectively) 8J76 IIRC, the Cambridgeshire, a Panamax vessel.  They had an exhaust boiler fire and the draught pulling through over-revved the blowers to the point one exploded, bits all over the engineroom. Eeuww.

I do recall running up the exhaust trunking in a crouch, of an RND90 not too long after stopping, picking bits of piston ring out of the catchers, when it was FAR too hot to really be in there.  The Second seeing what I was made of, I think.  

I think we burned something like 120 tons of heavy oil a day on the biggest ship I sailed on, the Derbyshire (yes....) which had a B&W 8K98FF at about 30k bhp.  Horrid thing. Its fair to say I was a Sulzer fanboy despite the scavenges! 

Nice... :(

ISTR seeing the Cambridgeshire in drydock at Cape Town, back in 1981; she was there for a long time. The story was that she had to have a lot of steelwork replaced in the holds, mainly the tank tops, after carrying a dodgy cargo. Sulphur?

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Nice... :(

ISTR seeing the Cambridgeshire in drydock at Cape Town, back in 1981; she was there for a long time. The story was that she had to have a lot of steelwork replaced in the holds, mainly the tank tops, after carrying a dodgy cargo. Sulphur?

Mark

Yes, that's correct Mark, sulphur, washed with seawater...oh!  Frame knees/brackets rotted away, she was in a state by all accounts.

I also think the turbo incident was around that time, it possible that was being repaired at the same time.  I haven't seen my pal who was there for a long time - he was my best man!

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yes, that's correct Mark, sulphur, washed with seawater...oh!  Frame knees/brackets rotted away, she was in a state by all accounts.

I also think the turbo incident was around that time, it possible that was being repaired at the same time.  I haven't seen my pal who was there for a long time - he was my best man!

Was the seawater due to leaks, or when washing out the holds after discharge? Either way - oops!

Mark

21 hours ago, steve W said:

That's a great one, we could probably have a whole thread devoted to that canal!

Here's another one then.

Same ship, a couple of years later. Southbound, just clearing Suez, & dropping off the "Extra" boatmen (the unauthorised ones - try to stop them coming on board to sell their tat  fabulous Egyptian souvenirs tat & all h*ll breaks loose) into a launch. 4 of them left on board, all gathered round the accommodation ladder. The Mate tells them - "only 2 on the ladder at a time, and don't all stand on the platform at the bottom". So, their launch is approaching. What do they do? Yes, all pile down to the bottom & squeeze onto the platform, which promptly collapses like the trap on a gallows... The Old Man is watching from the bridge wing, so puts the helm over to swing the stern (and the slice & dice machine aka the propeller) away from these idiots, then rings for full sea speed & we head down the Gulf of Suez, ignoring the howls of protest & demands for us to stop that are coming out of the VHF :dancer:

Edited by MarkC
To add something
  • Funny 4

9 hours ago, MarkC said:

Here's another one then.

Same ship, a couple of years later. Southbound, just clearing Suez, & dropping off the "Extra" boatmen (the unauthorised ones - try to stop them coming on board to sell their tat  fabulous Egyptian souvenirs tat & all h*ll breaks loose) into a launch. 4 of them left on board, all gathered round the accommodation ladder. The Mate tells them - "only 2 on the ladder at a time, and don't all stand on the platform at the bottom". So, their launch is approaching. What do they do? Yes, all pile down to the bottom & squeeze onto the platform, which promptly collapses like the trap on a gallows... The Old Man is watching from the bridge wing, so puts the helm over to swing the stern (and the slice & dice machine aka the propeller) away from these idiots, then rings for full sea speed & we head down the Gulf of Suez, ignoring the howls of protest & demands for us to stop that are coming out of the VHF :dancer:

I take it you didn't go back that way for a while!

• RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2021 at 17:36, MarkC said:

Was the seawater due to leaks, or when washing out the holds after discharge? Either way - oops!

Mark

Washing out as I understand it, Mark. There was some mention in the house magazine about the causes, but I don't have that copy.  I'll ask on the Bibby's forum.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2021 at 21:51, steve W said:

It's been niggling me. The one I saw wasn't a Flettner, but had more of an aerofoil curved sail. A quick look on Youtube found this one  which best matches my recollection.

Steve W

That may well have been it, and a flawed memory!  It was a while ago.....

9 hours ago, 62613 said:

I take it you didn't go back that way for a while!

Nah - it wasn't 'official' visitors, so the authorities didn't care. In fact, an incident from the 1980s also now rings a bell. I was 3/E on a Saudi flag reefer ship which was regularly transiting the canal. (From memory we were carrying citrus fruit from Morocco to Jeddah). Anyway, we were anchored in Suez Bay awaiting our convoy, and were surrounded by the usual bumboats, whose occupants were trying to get on board to steal what they could to flog their "goods". The Old Man was a great believer in keeping them off the ship, and gave strict instructions to the deck Serang to "do what he could to keep them off". Well, one boat in particular was very insistent, to the extent that they were throwing grappling hooks & lines up, with a view to climbing on board. The Serang warned them off, twice. The third time, he dropped a large piece of scrap (an old steel 6" valve) into the boat. Said valve went straight through the bottom, which promptly sank the boat! Nothing was said by the authorities, & we were left well alone after that. Obviously the 'good news' was passed around :D

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 25/04/2021 at 18:31, burgundy said:

From memory (which is always fallible), the West London line opened in the mid 1860s, resulting in a very significant expansion of goods traffic on the Brighton. The last ship to land coal on Hastings beach (not an especially pleasant place to beach a ship of any size) was 1871(?) 

Best wishes 

Eric 

Coal was also landed on the beach at Bognor, at least until 1893, or possibly 1904 when the new gasworks, outside the town, was opened.

image.png.cdabea2a0bd20923b8260ab05e27b2af.png

Courtesy of Sussex Industrial Archaeology Society

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2021 at 16:41, Stubby47 said:

Big Charlie is scheduled to leave Portsmouth tomorrow at 14:50

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsmouth/shipping-movements/daily-movements?date=30/04/2021

Along with Tempest, Bountiful, Independent, Indulgent, Christina, Suzanne, and Mr T Bannister.

Some say the first four are personal attributes of Charlie, the ladies are Personal Assistants, and the last one is his Private Valet.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apparently it was a little bouncy going across to the Sillies this morning. 

Apologies for the stupid ad filled site in the link. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/uncomfortable-isles-scilly-ferry-trip-5437463?fbclid=IwAR1hExtE8RDbGqK72l5QTTzvbur8srhyXhqUf8kylzdKDYZKkcED65o4FtY

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Ah, the joys of an ignorant media using big words they don't understand... There's not a lot of water under her keel.

She's quite possibly at risk of partially sinking at her moorings - the hull hasn't been touched below the waterline for over 50 years, iirc, & frankly I suspect that if someone were to try towing her to a drydock then she might well suffer structural failure. Her hull must be rotten in places. The hull of the late, lamented Manxman was well perforated, which is why she was broken up in the shed at Sunderland. It was just too costly to replate her, which is what was required. As one chap I knew who saw her before the gas axe teams rocked up put it - "I've seen fewer holes in a pair of lace knickers...". from memory, Turbinia's hull is quite well holed too - not that anyone is planning on putting her back in the water.

Our own HMS Belfast had a trip to the graving dock at Tilbury a few years ago for repairs & repainting - had it not been done then she might well be in danger too. I know that the USS Texas is pretty much beyond salvation too - I believe that the only way to save her will be to fill the basin she sits in with concrete before she sinks.

Ships cost money - lots of it - to preserve.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, MarkC said:

Ah, the joys of an ignorant media using big words they don't understand... There's not a lot of water under her keel.

She's quite possibly at risk of partially sinking at her moorings - the hull hasn't been touched below the waterline for over 50 years, iirc, & frankly I suspect that if someone were to try towing her to a drydock then she might well suffer structural failure. Her hull must be rotten in places. The hull of the late, lamented Manxman was well perforated, which is why she was broken up in the shed at Sunderland. It was just too costly to replate her, which is what was required. As one chap I knew who saw her before the gas axe teams rocked up put it - "I've seen fewer holes in a pair of lace knickers...". from memory, Turbinia's hull is quite well holed too - not that anyone is planning on putting her back in the water.

Our own HMS Belfast had a trip to the graving dock at Tilbury a few years ago for repairs & repainting - had it not been done then she might well be in danger too. I know that the USS Texas is pretty much beyond salvation too - I believe that the only way to save her will be to fill the basin she sits in with concrete before she sinks.

Ships cost money - lots of it - to preserve.

Mark

The Texas was going into dry dock but covid delayed that. Work is continuing to stabilise the ship and volunteers are working on all sorts of projects on the ship. The blisters were foam filled late last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

The Texas was going into dry dock but covid delayed that. Work is continuing to stabilise the ship and volunteers are working on all sorts of projects on the ship. The blisters were foam filled late last year.

this is a good site for all the progress on the ship.

https://battleshiptexas.org/battleship-updates/

• Like 1