The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

I suspect they're going to sea every so often for a day or two so as to make fresh water and pump over bilges/treated black water etc as well as giving everything a good run.

Before the advent of onboard internet/TV, there was a favoured anchorage for RFAs and their like not far from Portland/Weymouth which was good holding ground, sheltered and was just outside the 12 mile limit. We always knew it at as the "Triple T" anchorage: Telephone/TV/Tax as you could received the first two from shore based masts and being just outside the 12 mile limit it counted as a tax day!

I haven't checked for a while but it is not unusual to see from AIS information a couple of the large cruise vessels doing a trip down Channel and back, and occasionally much further.  And I've noted that a number have moved between south coast anchorages, such as the three now in Torbay.  Interestingly some of the other cruise vessels elsewhere on the British coast have not moved for quite a while - several at Rosyth haven't shifted since May and a couple (which were at one stage detained) at Tilbury haven't moved since March but they all alongside or moored immediately next to vessels which are alongsode. 

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I haven't checked for a while but it is not unusual to see from AIS information a couple of the large cruise vessels doing a trip down Channel and back, and occasionally much further.  And I've noted that a number have moved between south coast anchorages, such as the three now in Torbay.  Interestingly some of the other cruise vessels elsewhere on the British coast have not moved for quite a while - several at Rosyth haven't shifted since May and a couple (which were at one stage detained) at Tilbury haven't moved since March but they all alongside or moored immediately next to vessels which are alongsode. 

Those alongside will have been down manned to the extent that they won't have enough men to go to sea or to anchor.

The cruise ship companies rarely employ salaried staff in the traditional sense, effectively they're all agency/contract staff employed by a PO Box in Bermuda or Malta etc so they can be dispensed with quickly and usually without any redundancy terms, that includes most of the officers as well as all the ratings.

The four in Rosyth are about to be joined by two ex Carnival vessels that Fred Olsens have purchased, accordingly the two ex Royal Viking ships there are for sale, most likely for scrap.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Those alongside will have been down manned to the extent that they won't have enough men to go to sea or to anchor.

The cruise ship companies rarely employ salaried staff in the traditional sense, effectively they're all agency/contract staff employed by a PO Box in Bermuda or Malta etc so they can be dispensed with quickly and usually without any redundancy terms, that includes most of the officers as well as all the ratings.

The four in Rosyth are about to be joined by two ex Carnival vessels that Fred Olsens have purchased, accordingly the two ex Royal Viking ships there are for sale, most likely for scrap.

Most of the ones in Tilbury were part of the CMV, which has gone into liquidation, fleet.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Today marks 40 years since the loss of DERBYSHIRE in Typhoon Orchid. 

Whilst there have been a number of improvements in ship design and regulation in the intervening period, we still haven't fully learnt the lessons of that loss and many others.

MV Gulf Livestock 1 was lost in Typhoon Maysak off Japan last week. Of the 43 souls on board only two are known to have survived.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Today marks 40 years since the loss of DERBYSHIRE in Typhoon Orchid. 

Whilst there have been a number of improvements in ship design and regulation in the intervening period, we still haven't fully learnt the lessons of that loss and many others.

Last month I went back home to Cornwall with my partner who hadn't been there before. I took her to see St Just in Roseland Church and while there I saw the memorial stone erected in memory of one of the crew of the Derbyshire. My memory isn't what it was and I can't remember his name.

• Friendly/supportive 5

14 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Got a couple of nice shots from the Tyne in the sun yesterday.

5654F12C-27C8-482E-A9C5-576E12FED7FC.jpeg.e5280506849cc6993f01f617fc0c9732.jpeg

73A26535-A344-42A9-B6B7-6BD61C8BA115.jpeg.377cb03942496429a583907446623054.jpeg

And one from Monday

394D56EB-370C-4C81-8FC9-374CEE20C3B9.jpeg.e0040e884390bedecde2146e407c56f0.jpeg

Purely out of curiosity, whereabouts on the Tyne where you when you took these photos, is that part of a derelict shipyard in the foreground?  

• Like 1

Didn't realise that the old dry docks had not been filled in. My interest was brought about by the fact that I did some months in 1966 in Smiths Dock on the opposite side of the river and thought that it may have been there. I've only once been back  and then only passing through about 20 years ago, I was off route in a works vehicle (deliberately, for nostalgia's sake) so the visit was neccessarily very brief. On this visit I used and was unimpressed with the Tyne Tunnel, which was about to be built/opened just after my time up there, the only thing in its favour seemed to be that it was more reliable than the Jarrow ferry!  

Edited by Phil Traxson

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

It’s like a fossilized footprint of a long extinct creature.

Alas in some respects that is very much what it is - the footprint of a near vanished industry which was once a major employer in various parts of Britain but nowadays seems to be only good for dereliction, and donating sites for overpriced housing or the occasional themepark.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Alas in some respects that is very much what it is - the footprint of a near vanished industry which was once a major employer in various parts of Britain but nowadays seems to be only good for dereliction, and donating sites for overpriced housing or the occasional themepark.

That was my point really. Perhaps I was a little too subtle!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A couple of holiday snaps from Falmouth yesterday.

The Opaline RoRo (Cobelfret) in the Queen Elizabeth dry dock displaying her stern. Detached rudder in the dock on the port side.  Next to the workshops on the left is one of the few remmnants of the internal railway system, most of it has now disappeared.

The Eastern side of the yard has changed significantly with the covering in of the adjacent dry dock and the huge construction halls of Pendennis super yachts for the super rich.

295873041_opalines.jpg.865a91d3c2d9230cd97efc097ef60125.jpg

The patrol vessel 'Tamar' being fussed over by a couple of tugs on the way into Falmouth, passing St Mawes Castle with

the town in the background

tamar.JPG.ac5c1452e76118963ee335a6690497dd.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My sister lived in Largs for a couple of years, 63-5; what a spectacular spot for ship watching and there were still BR 4MT tanks and LMS suburbans as well.  I remember two big Cunarders, Sylvania, and the green goddess, Caronia, and the Clyde stardards at the pier; Waverley, Talisman, Jeannie Deans, and the Hornby Dublo Duchesses, Hamilton and Montrose.   

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2020 at 13:31, steve W said:

A couple of holiday snaps from Falmouth yesterday.

The Opaline RoRo (Cobelfret) in the Queen Elizabeth dry dock displaying her stern. Detached rudder in the dock on the port side.  Next to the workshops on the left is one of the few remmnants of the internal railway system, most of it has now disappeared.

The Eastern side of the yard has changed significantly with the covering in of the adjacent dry dock and the huge construction halls of Pendennis super yachts for the super rich.

295873041_opalines.jpg.865a91d3c2d9230cd97efc097ef60125.jpg

The patrol vessel 'Tamar' being fussed over by a couple of tugs on the way into Falmouth, passing St Mawes Castle with

the town in the background

tamar.JPG.ac5c1452e76118963ee335a6690497dd.JPG

Unusual to see a ship docked stern first, probably because work is being carried out on the stern ramp.

The pictures brought back memories for me. I was an electrical apprentice at what was then Silley, Cox and Co from 1962 to 1967, then a further year as electrician before becoming an Electrical Officer at sea. Which was my reason for going there in the first place.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Unusual to see a ship docked stern first, probably because work is being carried out on the stern ramp.

The pictures brought back memories for me. I was an electrical apprentice at what was then Silley, Cox and Co from 1962 to 1967, then a further year as electrician before becoming an Electrical Officer at sea. Which was my reason for going there in the first place.

It looks like the 2 stacks of containers are there to support the stern door.

Mum was from Penryn and met Dad when he docked in Falmouth in 49 on British Duke and subsequently on British Venture in 1950. Grandad worked at Silley, Cox & Co and said as Dad was an engineer he was good enough to marry. 

• Like 2