The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

Here's a few photos of Istanbul/the Bosphorus. I think that one of the observation towers was used in "The World is Not Enough". 2x kamikazi ferries are included too! The last shot is from the Black Sea, looking back towards the channel as the sun was setting. Asia to the left, Europe to the right!

Mark

DSC04996.JPG

DSC05006.JPG

DSC05015.JPG

DSC05023.JPG

DSC05032.JPG

DSC05040.JPG

DSC05043.JPG

DSC05049.JPG

DSC05058.JPG

DSC05063.JPG

DSC05081.JPG

Edited by MarkC
amending trypping eror...
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarkC said:

Here's a few photos of Istanbul/the Bosphorus. I think that one of the observation towers was used in "The World is Not Enough". 2x kamikazi ferries are included too! The last shot is from the Black Sea, looking back towards the channel as the sun was setting. Asia to the left, Europe to the right!

Mark

Marvelous! Thank you.

This is still one of my ambitions, albeit in (perhaps) a slightly smaller vessel than yours!

Unfortunately I haven't been sailing for a few years now. (Arthritis and the North Sea don't go together very well.)

Caroline 

6 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Marvelous! Thank you.

This is still one of my ambitions, albeit in (perhaps) a slightly smaller vessel than yours!

Unfortunately I haven't been sailing for a few years now. (Arthritis and the North Sea don't go together very well.)

Caroline 

You have to see it yourself to fully appreciate it, Caroline :)

Istanbul is huge, and the scenery is spectacular.

As for size - the ship was the "Coral Patula", some 110 metres in length. She is dwarfed by most of today's passenger ships. But I presume you're talking about doing it in one of them there wind propelled leisure craft? ;)

I'm glad you liked the photos.

Best

Mark

For those of a certain age:

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a fast ship and a company like BI,
With two white bands and an Indian crew on a regular run to Bombay,
Or two and half years on the Indian coast and twenty per cent more pay.

(With apologies to John Masefield)

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...

HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said has a personal fleet of pleasure craft of the Oman Royal Yacht Squadron.

Here are two of them

'Al Said' in Muscat Oman 25th November 2019 It is Number 1 in the Royal Squadron.

IMG_3138.JPG.de1c727c5309eeaf132aef84834eae70.JPG

'The Fulk al Salamah' leaving Muscat 25th November 2019. This is Number 2 in the Royal Squadron.

IMG_3125.JPG.d7e1d39623d07ddb0be497ffe7ac06ca.JPG

There are a total of five yachts in the Squadron.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NorthBrit said:

HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said has a personal fleet of pleasure craft of the Oman Royal Yacht Squadron.

Here are two of them

'Al Said' in Muscat Oman 25th November 2019 It is Number 1 in the Royal Squadron.

IMG_3138.JPG.de1c727c5309eeaf132aef84834eae70.JPG

'The Fulk al Salamah' leaving Muscat 25th November 2019. This is Number 2 in the Royal Squadron.

IMG_3125.JPG.d7e1d39623d07ddb0be497ffe7ac06ca.JPG

There are a total of five yachts in the Squadron.

As Chesty Morgan used to say: "If you've got it, flaunt it!" :mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I have made a Revell model of the Titanic. i made it on the 14th/15th April this year (which is the days when the Titanic sank in 1912)

Each time we have crossed the Atlantic,  be it QE2  and now QM2,  a wreath has been laid at the site of where Titanic sank.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Part of the Suez Canal is two ways.     

The Southbound convoy are coming down on the left of the picture.

Northbound convoys go to the right.

IMG_3092.JPG.19a0d40185341821268949aa8508e0d2.JPG

Leaving the Suez Canal and entering the Gulf of Suez.   

Seabourn Odyssey is ahead of us  18th November 2019

IMG_3099.JPG.44805cbbdb57f2530eae610ad69e6cb7.JPG

Passing Seabourn Odyssey  in the Gulf of Suez   18th November 2019

IMG_3101.JPG.4d0567ba195e16fe65dc6ba25677b864.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG.5e880a2925f488fedf1beae805a3cdaf.JPG

• Like 5

what's Bandar Mashur?

Variations of spelling aside, I suspect it refers to a tanker loading port right at the top of the Gulf.  A location metaphorically  '20miles up' the alluded to physiological area (if the world had piles, this is where they'd be)  and hotter and more unpleasant  than the passage of a vindaloo down said area when affected with piles.

A region I used to visit regularly in the late 70's, Interesting times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

what's Bandar Mashur?

The of the world! Joined my first ship at Ras al Khaimah, bound for Bandar Mash. This is very late July/early August. Second sez to me the following day, (on going down below "Go and help Lecky in the steering flat". So there we were in a steel box, at the top end of the Gulf in August (outside temperature somewhere around 110 degrees F) sliding around in hydraulic oil on the deck, which had leaked from the steering gear. What an introduction to a merchant navy career!

Wasn't it renamed Bandar-al-Khomeini after the revolution in 1979?

Edited by 62613
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 62613 said:

The of the world! Joined my first ship at Ras al Khaimah, bound for Bandar Mash. This is very late July/early August. Second sez to me the following day, (on going down below "Go and help Lecky in the steering flat. So there we were in a steel box, at the top end of the Gulf in August (outside temperature somewhere around 110 degrees F) sliding around in hydraulic oil on the deck, which had leaked from the steering gear. What an introduction to a merchant navy career!

When I started my MN career, many of our ships bring crude from the PG (as it was then) were around 30,000 DWT and air conditioning was an afterthought. My last few ships had air conditioned engine control rooms and lifts to access them. How things changed in under 20 years!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Most of the ports in the Perishin' Gulf were awful; blistering heat, the hot air off the desert where you can feel your skin crack as it dries out and the sickening stench of H2S everywhere. I never really noticed the latter in tankers, but when I first went back up the PG in a general cargo ship I remember almost throwing up as we neared Kuwait the odour was so intense. I didn't mind Bahrain for a run ashore, plus Dubai and the Omani ports weren't too terrible either.

Honourable mention should really go to the old tanker berth in Lagos, the one next to the slaughterhouse. Those who had the extreme misfortune to visit will certainly remember....

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bon Accord said:

Honourable mention should really go to the old tanker berth in Lagos, the one next to the slaughterhouse. Those who had the extreme misfortune to visit will certainly remember....

Yep, bitumen and or fuel oil into there a few times, worse than rank!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1