When TT3 was the next Big Thing

50 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Silverfox.

I do not know if you know this company, But I managed to buy 2 pairs of carbon brushes from themfor the XT60 motor. They seem to have more in stock.

https://www.hornbytriangspareparts.co.uk/item/XT27-Hornby-Triang-TT-lord-of-the-isles-caledonian-Brushes-x-2-original-A11

Thanks, not seen them before and very interesting.

Winston Churchill posing for the camera.

I know the Tri-ang M/N is supposedly too long for a B of B but I was not going to try altering its length, but, I did modify the tender by removing the raves and putting the sloping top from side to coal space.

The 3 Wagon Lits are Tri-ang Pullman's with sides sanded smooth, ends painted blue and printed overlays fixed in place. 

Garry

IMG_20210705_213531.jpg

• Like 6

The quad art set has had metal wheels fitted and now runs well. It is not actually articulated yet but maybe one day. The coaches are Tri-ang suburbans with printed overlays. The loco is a Lincoln-Locos 3D print with my own etched chassis.

Garry

IMG_20210706_170035.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Here are  my "Tri-ang" 8F and SR class Z locos.  These are probably society body kits (I bought second hand a long time ago) and I discarded the chassis's as I wanted my own fitted with Tri-ang Jinty wheels and XT60 motors along with Tri-ang style valve gear.  They have turned out and run well although the 8F is now awaiting a numberplate before varnishing.

Garry 
8F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJ0_QoPOf0
Class z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVAtsPjeg8

• Like 1

The Snapper as it is at the moment awaiting its name and numberplates which I have but need cutting out as they are the old Kings X ones.  The cab side numbers are from Railtec which really are good and easy to apply, certainly saves a lot of hassle with individual numbers.

Garry

The Snapper part painted.jpg

Kings X plates.jpg

• Like 3

Another 3D print from a different source and looks very good. This is an ex L and Y loco and tender which unfortunately does not look as if I can fit with the standard motor although the wheelbase is suitable. I may be able to fit the chassis in with an XT60 otherwise it will need an etched chassis making.

Garry

IMG_20210717_155422.jpg

• Like 3

Getting closer. The tender is fitted with a mock up plastic chassis one which might be there for a while as my PC has crashed with the dreaded blue screen of death so the drawing for it, and other parts, may be lost, fingers crossed they can be retrieved.

The excellent cab side numbers are from Railtec transfers and made to order with a very quick delivery time.

Garry

IMG_20210718_004416.jpg

IMG_20210718_004329.jpg

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Been putting some Railtec diesel transfers on. E3001 did have some 00 ones in silver but the silver did not show up well even though the real ones were stainless or chrome or aluminium so I asked Steve for white which looks a lot better, he does a silver which I have on the Hymek but does not show up well on the blue. The names are just home printed to see how they look as I am going to try to get some etched myself.

Garry

IMG_20210725_214802.jpg

IMG_20210725_214854.jpg

IMG_20210725_215035.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed traffic lining issues 1) new sheet of Fox transfers and the space between the red and grey is different on each 90 degree leg. Telephoned Fox who said that it needs splitting between the red and grey to open it out, but, they would send me a set of corners only. Issue 2) these new corners are fine, but, the spacing does not match the straight lines, so it is going to be a long job just using the small legs only from the corner pieces.

I have lined out one side, the tender was done with the mismatch corners though. 

Cabside numbers are from Railtec as usual now, great turnaround time too.

The nameplates are 00 as no 3mm ones available.

Garry

IMG_20210803_204303.jpg

IMG_20210803_204218.jpg

IMG_20210803_225900.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

Telephoned Fox who said that it needs splitting between the red and grey to open it out .....

That really isn't acceptable, is it? Good registration of colours is vital for lining transfers.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

A view not often seen, this was one of the Priarie tanks that the whole front was broken off, but, it might work out well. The chassis has now been serviced and runs well, if I have a spare body then great, if not, I will sell as it is. The front section however looks to have a smokebox door the correct size for the 2MT which had an incorrect Fowler door fitted, it will need the hinge straps lengthening but looks okay so far. Fingers crossed for later.

This was one of a few nice locos bought recently which are nearly all now serviced and running well including a smoking Britannia to pass on. All were boxed and only an open spoke Brit and the A1A's I need to keep.

Garry

IMG_20210806_220048.jpg

IMG_20210806_182003.jpg

IMG_20210806_181841.jpg

IMG_20210806_181808.jpg

• Like 3

This is going to sound like a strange question - but I'm trying to figure out a holistic suite of retro equipment to build a layout. The criteria are that it's (relatively) affordable,  can represent a point in time on a given railway,  and can run slowly (not neccesarily at a crawl). The latter is a key area for concern for me - I don't need it to run at a snails pace, but one of the things I would like to ensure is that I can shunt carriages around the layout. Is the 08 or Jinty up to this?

As a supplementary question - one of the locos I would definitely like to include is the MN, but in doing so I would lack a suburban locomotive to complement the mainline and shunter (i.e. the 08). Are there any off-the-shelf  or 3d-printed body replacements for any existing chassis which might work for a BR(S) setting?

5 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

This is going to sound like a strange question - but I'm trying to figure out a holistic suite of retro equipment to build a layout. The criteria are that it's (relatively) affordable,  can represent a point in time on a given railway,  and can run slowly (not neccesarily at a crawl). The latter is a key area for concern for me - I don't need it to run at a snails pace, but one of the things I would like to ensure is that I can shunt carriages around the layout. Is the 08 or Jinty up to this?

As a supplementary question - one of the locos I would definitely like to include is the MN, but in doing so I would lack a suburban locomotive to complement the mainline and shunter (i.e. the 08). Are there any off-the-shelf  or 3d-printed body replacements for any existing chassis which might work for a BR(S) setting?

Here is a Jinty showing its speed and others can run slower with a good service.  

There is no of the shelf models for BR TT gauge.  Lincoln Locos do 3D prints but don't think their SR locos are what you want. Most of what he makes is for a scratchbuilt chassis but I modify if possible to fit a Tri-ang chassis in. You can get old Bec E2 and G6 models but do try to get old kits as the modern replacements are not as good quality. This Z class is a brass kit on my own chassis with Tri-ang wheels and motor.

Garry

FB_IMG_1628613469381.jpg

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Silverfox,

Any chance you could show us some more shots of your layout. I really like the ones you have posted.

I have not done anything on the layout for about 18 months so  nothing has really changed but here are a couple. One is a BR standard 5 leaving the station tunnel, and the other, as yet un-named Clan Buchanan on the down line.

IMG_20210811_204344.jpg

IMG_20210811_204323.jpg

• Like 4