When TT3 was the next Big Thing

Added another loco to the work in progress, this is another "tissue paper" kit this time an N2. As seems to be the norm there are some parts missing and the instructions are for a completely different loco. 

I have managed to fit a Tri-ang Prairie chassis in after a fair bit of grinding and filing the front spectacle plate and the pole pieces. The Praire wheels are only 1mm oversize so will be fine for this loco. 

Garry

190665145_3865281763569797_6368671989118444009_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have just bought a Jubilee which is a lovely scratchbuilt loco and tender. I think it is powered by an XT60 but not had the body off yet although it has been tested on Tri-ang small radius curves on which it runs nicely. The valve gear is stunning and even the motion bracket has a front and rear sandwiching the expansion link. Looking at its hand painted numbers, including the smokebox one, and lining along with its construction I have a feeling it is from the same builder as a few others I have obtained. I am torn between touching up and repainting but for now it will just be a touch up.

Garry

Jubilee 1.JPG

Jubilee 2.JPG

Jubilee 3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I used one of their 'cast aluminium Lion-and-wheel' emblems circa 1980. Rather than laboriously cutting round it I painted the back, painted the emblem on the front and then etched the surplus metal away in an acid solution sold for making DIY PCBs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I used one of their 'cast aluminium Lion-and-wheel' emblems circa 1980. Rather than laboriously cutting round it I painted the back, painted the emblem on the front and then etched the surplus metal away in an acid solution sold for making DIY PCBs.

I like that idea, that would have been good for the cast plate on my AL1 so will have think about it. 

Garry 

• Like 1

Managed to fit a Lincoln-locos B12 body onto a M-N/Britannia chassis and keep the motor very close to the cab rear without protruding too much. The centre wheels need to be changed for a spoked set but all I have spare is a plastic set with a crankpin thread stripped, or open spoked ones. Those are earmarked for another job. The body actually fits on the metal strip seen just above the bogie wheels, which, will need moving forward slightly. All I need now is a tender.

Garry

B12 on chassis.JPG

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 3

Here is the B12 chassis. The front has a small recess for the mounting plate, this was to give clearance for the bogie wheels. The rear as you can see has been cut away quite a bit, and, due to the rear rivet holding the frames together being sawn off a 1/16 hole has been drilled and a piece of brass rod soldered in. This holds them back and also prevents the rear block rotating. The bogie has had a new locating hole drilled and tapped moving it further forward. You can see how much of the motor protrudes into the cab but you have to accept these things at times.

Garry

B12 chassis.JPG

B12 motor in cab.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

My Lincoln-Locos V3 tank now flitted with Tri-ang style valve gear on one side. The chassis is a Tri-ang Prairie with no real modification, just filed the rear side block to fit inside the body and add a cylinder mounting plate. It did get a Britannia set of centre wheels so the return crank could be fitted with a nut.  It does need valve gear on the insulated side which I am going to experiment with using PCB under the top plate and soldering the slidebar assemby to that which in turn will be soldered to the top plate. 

Garry 

196562916_3906054006159239_3191949798942964512_n.jpg

• Like 4

The Black 5 as it is at the moment.  The rear area under the cab needs a false frame extension adding to fill the openness. There is a slight modification I want to try on the opposite side when I start the insulated sides. At the moment I am in two minds about the front coupling to leave or remove, these locos were seen odd times tender first as well as shunting makes me think about leaving the coupling on.

IMG20210608222639.jpg

• Like 3

This is a scratchbuilt L and Y loco I bought a while ago and giving it its first layout run. It is built around a Jinty chassis and fits nicely considering how wide the motor is but I guess the firebox is wider than it should be. The chassis has been fitted with smaller diameter Romfords. The tender is quite heavy and Tri-ang wheels are used with the axles going through the frames into blind holes in axleboxes of which 3 are missing. It does need new handrails as well as some axleboxes and I guess a repaint even though I do not really want to remove all the hand painted letters. It is a lovely runner with 8 coaches in tow.

Garry

IMG20210609215557.jpg

• Like 3

Two Stanier big boys. The black Duchess was bought a while ago and in LMS black. I am in the process of turning her into earlier BR black and is City of Nottingham. The maroon one, Duchess of Hamilton, I started a few years ago and is an Atlas body on a Castle chassis. At the time I was looking at using Castle valve gear modified but that did not work and now with the success of the Tri-ang style valve gear on other locos that could be an option.

Garry

2 Duchess's.jpg

• Like 5

The 8F is unusual as the kit came with white metal smokebox, boiler, and firebox but footplate, cab and tender thin etched brass. It also had very thin etches for the smokebox, boiler and firebox for people wanting to do just a brass one. As I wanted a heavy body I shaped these 3 parts, filed off the detail on the castings and fitted the brass to the white metal. This gave a good body detail but quite heavy and prevented the parts being bent or distorted. The whitemetal firebox did need a little grinding so the XT60 would fit and has come out quite nicely. I have the other side valve gear to fit and then awaiting the smokebox number plate before varnishing.

Garry

IMG20210611223056.jpg

• Like 5

The SR Z class loco. This was a "tissue paper" kit that does have a bit of distortion in a few areas which are not too bad after it got varnished. Considering how light it is she pulls quite well and hopefully I can add some weight later. Looks better now with full valve gear which is again Tri-ang style.  Although a shunting loco she will do a fair bit of main line running I think.

Garry

IMG20210612223753.jpg

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 7

Hi Silverfox,

How do you get on for spare XT60 motors. I have just bought 2 for 2 my  new Triang Singles I have just bought. I was wondering if you new any one who made/reconditioned these motors at a reason able cost.

Triang Drummond Single.jpg

Triang Lord of the isles.jpg

29 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Silverfox,

How do you get on for spare XT60 motors. I have just bought 2 for 2 my  new Triang Singles I have just bought. I was wondering if you new any one who made/reconditioned these motors at a reason able cost.

Triang Drummond Single.jpg

Triang Lord of the isles.jpg

Hi, I have managed to get quite a few by buying the Singles and turntables cheapish then selling them on as non runners or manual and keeping the motors.  Sometimes they crop up cheap on eBay but usually in the £20's which is not acceptable to me but managed one for a tenner last week.

I strip and service them myself and never seen anyone advertising servicing them or any spares. It is very rare to get a dud though.

Garry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

Hi, I have managed to get quite a few by buying the Singles and turntables cheapish then selling them on as non runners or manual and keeping the motors.  Sometimes they crop up cheap on eBay but usually in the £20's which is not acceptable to me but managed one for a tenner last week.

I strip and service them myself and never seen anyone advertising servicing them or any spares. It is very rare to get a dud though.

Garry

Hi Silverfox,

Unfortunately the one that came in the Caledonian single was dud. It seems to look ok, But I think it has burnt out. hence the look for new motors. I managed to get 2 for £20.00 each. One for the engine and one as a spare.

42 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Silverfox,

Unfortunately the one that came in the Caledonian single was dud. It seems to look ok, But I think it has burnt out. hence the look for new motors. I managed to get 2 for £20.00 each. One for the engine and one as a spare.

There is someone on eBay who does offer an armature rewind on an exchange basis but cannot remember who it is at the moment. They are normally 00 but he told me he would do TT ones as well.

Garry

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Silverfox17 said:

There is someone on eBay who does offer an armature rewind on an exchange basis but cannot remember who it is at the moment. They are normally 00 but he told me he would do TT ones as well.

Garry

Does Redgate Models of this parish do rewinds - or just remags?

CJI.

2 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

Garry

Hi Garry,

I thought the TT and 00 motor were one and the same. They are being sold as that you know where.

56 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Garry,

I thought the TT and 00 motor were one and the same. They are being sold as that you know where.

What I meant was they usually show the X04 or 00 diesel armatures and don't mention the XT60 which as you say is the same for the 00 and TT and I wrote asking as the XT60 is smaller in diameter.

4 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

What I meant was they usually show the X04 or 00 diesel armatures and don't mention the XT60 which as you say is the same for the 00 and TT and I wrote asking as the XT60 is smaller in diameter.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought for a moment one of the motors I had bought was the wrong one.