When TT3 was the next Big Thing

• RMweb Premium

Certainly not the easiest of kits to put together these 3mm society ones. One of the major issues I have found is that the tabs are often too thick to fit the slots which I guess is from "scaling" down a 4mm model without any allowance made for material thickness being different but not scaled the same. The thickness of some parts is like tissue paper, maybe thinner. The B1 kit I have is similar.  The boiler and smokebox came already put together so I have been doing the rest. Unfortunately the tender sides, firebox, all whitemetal fittings for the loco are missing, and no instructions to say if anything else is either. I have been told that some parts have been found that MAY belong to this loco and on there way to me, fingers crossed otherwise I will be having to make new ones :-(.

This could take a while to be a runner.

Garry

Think these are the old Proscale kits which Peter White had reduced from 4mm to 3mm. They were available directly from him. If you end up short of some bits you could try contacting him to see if he has any spares; he's the bod who sells the 3mm Society finescale wheels.

Nigel

Think these are the old Proscale kits which Peter White had reduced from 4mm to 3mm. They were available directly from him. If you end up short of some bits you could try contacting him to see if he has any spares; he's the bod who sells the 3mm Society finescale wheels.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

I will see what comes of my last letter as the parts found were not for the A1 so if nothing else can be found I will get in touch with him.

Garry

Got a few etched brass coach sides today, not the flattest of parts I have to say. If all goes well with assembling them I should be able to make a full parcels train up now with one or two spare. I have always liked Gresley coaches in blood and custard which these will hopefully be although I may do the odd one in maroon.

Garry

post-22530-0-19771200-1539450805_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-61459500-1539450841_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-90668600-1539450969_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Managed some work on the A1. I was sent an A3 firebox which is completely different to the A1 and so have modified and used it in case an original does not show up. The loco is now quite freely running with coupling rods soldered to some Tri-ang ones but as yet no motor fitting installed, hopefully an XT60 will be used. I may have to make some suitable valve gear too, time will tell. With no tender sides I had thought of the Atlas one but it is too wide so I will probably have to scratchbuild one sometime. Looking a little better now.

Garry

post-22530-0-75590300-1539552106_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Disappointed to say the least. I buy a kit, quite expensive at £50, which arrives incomplete, I then get some parts sent that are not for my loco and tender and have to send them back. I am not getting recompensed for returning wrong goods and told no partial refund on the kit as it was sold in good faith.

I know I will not be getting any more from here after 2 issues with 2 kits. I did get a 3rd and know there will be issues with that later.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

A quick question.

When was the terminology changed from TT3 to just TT?

I see from the Tri-ang boxes in the photos that they were labelled as TT Gauge and NOT TT3.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply but unable to find my old RM to answer your question until yesterday.

Peco used the term TT-3 from the day they announced Tri-ang's release of TT in March 1957.  Tri-ang called it TT and RM had an article discussing the various TT scales and attempts and as Tri-ang was using 3mm at 1:100 instead of 1:120 like others Peco's heading was Tri-ang TT "TT-3" to us .  So from day one it was always TT-3 for Peco and Kitmaster followed suit when they entered the market in TT scale.  Tri-ang stayed with just TT.   I guess BEC/Gem etc still used plain TT as their bodies fitted Tri-ang's chassis's.

Garry

• Like 1

After a 3 1/2 hour journey down and 5 1/2 hour return I am the proud owner of Thorpe Road built by Kevin West. Due to being busy and holidays it will most likely not get set up in its new home for a couple of weeks but looking forward to giving my locos a good run.

The photo is Kevin's of the layout when set up at his house, I would love to have it set up this close to my kitchen.

Garry

post-22530-0-29192900-1539981791_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-09722200-1539981807_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-96096100-1539981822_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Again I'll say I'm glad you (and a few others) are keeping TT alive. This is a very interesting thread that brings back many good memories.

That's quite a nice TT layout above - a bit "Lydney" ish !! Looking forward to see some more photos, etc.

Brit15

• Like 1

Again I'll say I'm glad you (and a few others) are keeping TT alive. This is a very interesting thread that brings back many good memories.

That's quite a nice TT layout above - a bit "Lydney" ish !! Looking forward to see some more photos, etc.

Brit15

It certainly is like Lydney etc and that along with Longacre inspired its build by Kevin. The track is Gem and Wrenn along with H/M point motors, the construction including scenery was done as if it was being built in the 60's. I will look a few minor changes but the basic layout will still be giving the 60's feel hopefully.

I do want to add a crossover at one end and possibly a double junction. A double junction was originally done but taken out. As I have a few Wrenn and Gem pointwork I maybe able to do this and still keep its looks.

Garry

• Like 3

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

Peter has kindly supplied a set of the A1 castings. He does not have any etches left but I think some have been found by Caroline and on their way to me.

Garry

These two Bec kits arrived yesterday, one was still sealed new from being wrapped all those years ago. Looking at the castings one looked like it was fairly new after the moulds were made with very little flash, the other looked as if it was one of the last with a lot of flash.  

As I have 6 standard 5's already these will hopefully represent a standard 4 4-6-0 and standard 3 2-6-0, time will tell.  I have already cut two halves down and when time permits I will see how successful it is.  Modellers licence will apply.

I am hoping the standard 3 works out as I want to do it as one of York sheds engines, 77012, which I photographed in the mid 60's in York yards as attached.

Garry

post-22530-0-63526300-1540488506_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-04260100-1540488569_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-62785300-1540488832_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Clever use of the BEC loco and well done for getting Kevin`s layout IIRC I saw it at Warley a few years ago and was entranced ! 

For the Class 4 I guess a bit of a bigger cut and shunt to allow for smaller boiler.  

I look forward to your magic !

Robert  

Yes Robert, Kevin did have the layout at Warley and a few other exhibitions too.  Once I have it set up here and do a handful of changes it will hopefully go to a few shows up this way.  I want to fit a crossover and maybe a double junction in as I am hoping to do some adding and taking off coaches when on the main line and prefer not to run "wrong line working" as such.  One organiser has already asked about it for next March.

Garry

Just received these two Merchant Navy's which I bought very cheaply just for the chassis's with the extra valve gear added.  One I may use under the scratch built loco purchased a few months ago (after its wheels get blackened again) but I may get some etches made to the same sizes to do my own as these run very nicely.  The bodies will not be used, but, to be fair to the chap that made them he had a go and they did look like rebuilt M/N's to a degree which I admire him for.  I think I will rob them of their domes (for use on my standards), chimneys and smokebox doors, who knows I may make my own later.

These two DMU bogies were fitted to two coaches and bought, again cheap, as a weak runner and a non runner.  Both were cleaned up in situ apart from the brushes removed and now both lovely speedy runners.  The non runner needed its brass part of the brushes cleaning to make electrical contact to the wire, rusty wheels cleaned with a Tri-ang wheel cleaning brush and away it went.  What surprises me is the two worms are well worn yet as far as I know the cog wheels are only nylon so how this has happened I have no idea.

Garry

post-22530-0-81590400-1540589826_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-10046100-1540589878_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-05175800-1540590025_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi David,

At the local toy fair on Sunday I saw a chap with 17 new, mostly boxed) H and M point motors all at £2.00.  He said you wont get any cheaper anywhere so you should have seen his face when I showed him the one from another stand which was new and included an extra top plate for £1.00.  I still had to pay him £2.00 for the other 5 though.  These will match the TT layout as spares or new if I can put a couple of extra points in.

The same stand that had the £1.00 motor also had what looked to be still new, boxed and unused, TTR LMS maroon coach with lights in mint condition.  It was £10 and I was tempted but resisted as I cannot use it and had spent up knowing I had a couple of TT collections to pay for this week.  

Garry

post-22530-0-66569100-1541021717.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Garry,

That looks a very good deal even at £2.00! The TTR coach too (I would have been tempted....). The last one I saw was more than twice twice that.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

I thought so too :-) there is one on Ebay now at £11.95 which I would never pay. I think the most I paid was about £5 about 6 months ago thinking they may come in handy.

I know Wrenn fibre track can warp etc if it gets wet but how wet is wet? Does that mean very wet or even a sprinkling if ballasted in the usual way? I would like to ballast the new layout but wary of what may happen.

I have plenty of Gem plastic based track which I could replace it all with but prefer not to if I can help it.

Garry

Hi David,

I thought so too :-) there is one on Ebay now at £11.95 which I would never pay. I think the most I paid was about £5 about 6 months ago thinking they may come in handy.

I know Wrenn fibre track can warp etc if it gets wet but how wet is wet? Does that mean very wet or even a sprinkling if ballasted in the usual way? I would like to ballast the new layout but wary of what may happen.

I have plenty of Gem plastic based track which I could replace it all with but prefer not to if I can help it.

Garry

Hi Garry,

The fibre is basically cardboard, so it's fairly resistant. The short piece (Pecoway?) I have on the bench and my test track seem to survive the temperature changes OK, but I'm not so sure about damp. A sprinkling should be OK I would think. I'd try a short stretch first. I hope the rail is nickel silver. I'm not keen on plain steel at all. I'm having problems with my test track, which is Trix fibre base, The base is stable enough (I've never found any with problems here beyond physical damage), but the rail surface (nickel plated tinplate} tends to pick up crud and the rail joiners (a peg which fits into the adjoining hollow section) tend to tarnish. A good clean up is required and it should then be OK again.

David

Hi Garry,

The fibre is basically cardboard, so it's fairly resistant. The short piece (Pecoway?) I have on the bench and my test track seem to survive the temperature changes OK, but I'm not so sure about damp. A sprinkling should be OK I would think. I'd try a short stretch first. I hope the rail is nickel silver. I'm not keen on plain steel at all. I'm having problems with my test track, which is Trix fibre base, The base is stable enough (I've never found any with problems here beyond physical damage), but the rail surface (nickel plated tinplate} tends to pick up crud and the rail joiners (a peg which fits into the adjoining hollow section) tend to tarnish. A good clean up is required and it should then be OK again.

David

Thanks David,

I have nothing to loose if I just do the goods head shunt and it does not go to plan.  The rails are all nickel I think, it looks like they are but if I found any steel that would be replaced.

Unfortunately my shed is cold in winter and warm/hot in summer but not damp as such although the coldness is probably damp?????  I once read that a dehumidifier actually kept it warmer by removing the damp BUT the running costs were more than a heater and that is not cheap :-(

Garry

A little surprise this morning, this loco was in a set of three (another DMU and open spoked Castle) and ran very nicely straight away then when I removed the body I saw it had a 5 pole motor fitted, along with Romford wheels. Unsure about the body, it obviously needs a repaint but I may strip it, repaint it, then sell it. I have a couple of nice J50's so may use this chassis under one of those.

Garry

post-22530-0-27787200-1541184245_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not all the boards are up yet (one still to fit and using its gap as a walk through for now) but I have managed to have a train run on the front three. It will be a while before I do get a complete run as there is a lot of the Dublo stored in the operating space. A fair bit of work is needed as some rails are loose and one on a point is missing, some point motors need their operating wire fixing and then I have to work out the wiring to operate the points.

Garry

• Like 4

A little more testing as I have wired up a second controller and electrified the points. A few point motors are sticking and hopefully just need a clean and oil, plus a couple of operating wires need replacing and a few rail joints need looking at but coming along nicely. Excuse the poor video it was done on my phone.

Garry

• Like 5