Hall Sensor help

TheSnapper

I'm interested in fitting a Hall-effect sensor to my 0-Gauge V2, to try and replicate the syncopated exhaust beat.

Can anyone offer me any advice based on their practical experience of fitting a sensor ?

Also can anyone recommend a suitable chip/recording? eg Olivia's Trains or SWD-3-cyl, or does Bryan do one?

Cheers

Tim

All good stuff but remember that a 3 cylinder loco will need 6 chuffs per wheel revolution and that Gresley's conjugated valve gear gives a near unique chuff syncopation that the sound chip will be unable to replicate with any degree of realism.

Most of us don't bother with sensors mainly because above a few scale miles per hour it is difficult to actually tell how many chuffs per rev you are actually listening to plus, in 00 gauge and smaller it is impossible to fit all the gubbins and get the chip to read it anyway.

Remember that the sound chip and speaker are fairly crude anyway and the whole project is more influenced by the overrun sounds and other sound effects on the function buttons than by the chuff rate being spot on.

It is also a fact that Gresley locos are notorious for valve gear going out of sync and sound different every time you listen to them.

It is cheaper and easier to use CV's and the project sounds to get the effect you seek. ESU chips are also capable of allowing the syncopation to even out somewhat as the loco picks up speed with a heavy train, JLTRT.

If you want to listen to these effects there is a near perfect recording of 60007 leaving Aberdeen(?) in the Steamsounds archive. Then if you listen to other later recordings of the same loco, the change in beat is quite pronounced.

........It is cheaper and easier to use CV's and the project sounds to get the effect you seek. ESU chips are also capable of allowing the syncopation to even out somewhat as the loco picks up speed with a heavy train, JLTRT.........

David

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any tips re setting the CV's? I will be running at fairly low speeds most of the time.

Also any chip recommendations fot the V2 and an A3? Maybe I should just go for the SWD A4 chip fo both (with a different whistle, obviously!)?

I have a Lokprogrammer with a view to creating my own projects eventually (by which time technology will have moved in, no doubt!)

Cheers

Tim

David

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any tips re setting the CV's? I will be running at fairly low speeds most of the time.

Also any chip recommendations fot the V2 and an A3? Maybe I should just go for the SWD A4 chip fo both (with a different whistle, obviously!)?

I have a Lokprogrammer with a view to creating my own projects eventually (by which time technology will have moved in, no doubt!)

Cheers

Tim

Not really. I use a Programmer and it has a two slider arrangement for synchronising at speed step one and two plus the ability to play the project in a Virtual Cab addition to the programme. Thus you have no idea what values you are using or indeed, which CV number is relevant. Fortunately, you can read all CV's and adjust them using a Lokprogrammer but you cannot change the sound project at all so the option to change the whistle on an RTr chip can only be done by asking the chip supplier to do it for you. I usually spend about half an hour getting this synch rate right and I only do it once the chip is in the loco and hooked up to the programmer on a rolling road.

As to the synch evening out as you accelerate, that is evident in the standard Loksound three cylinder project ( the older one at any rate) and is achieved by altering the silence time in slot 4 and the volume of individual chuffs in slots 1 - 3. I have found that playing with these silence times and volumes does make the three cylinder project more Gresley-like. Since about a year ago, doing this with existing Loksound projects as supplied by ESU is not possible. I still have the old stuff, pre version 2.7.5(?).

Archived